Kernel Decision

KasperNL

9 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I just updated my 10.4.8 installion to 10.4.9 but I also changed the kernel from DaemonES to Semthex..

Both kernels have advantages and disadvantages:

Semthex detects the CPU right:

cpudetectioncg6.jpg

Audio works in DaemonES (not in Semthex):

sounddetectionoo5.jpg

The SATA controler(s) / drives are showing in the System Profiler:

satadetectionvm6.jpg

The SATA tabis not the only part of the System Profiler which doesn't work in DaemonES and works in Semthex.

The only advantage of DaemonES seems the Audio support..

Comments please!

Just found out that the combination of the latest Semthex kernel with Paulicats 'AppleSMBIOS.kext' and 'IOATAFamily.kext' does not give Kernel Panics anymore when I launch Apple HDA Patcher 1.15, so now I've got Semthex with audio, thank you all!

So I'll stay at semthex...

But still I'm interessted in the differences / (dis)advantages of each kernel...

Just found out that the combination of the latest Semthex kernel with Paulicats 'AppleSMBIOS.kext' and 'IOATAFamily.kext' does not give Kernel Panics anymore when I launch Apple HDA Patcher 1.15, so now I've got Semthex with audio, thank you all!

So I'll stay at semthex...

But still I'm interessted in the differences / (dis)advantages of each kernel...

Where did you find those kexts? I would like to try, Semthex kernel always panic when I HDA patch

btw

are you able to get speedstep in the newest semthex kernel?

I used the attached .kext files.

But I already found a problem with this latest Semthex kernel.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (Universal Binary) causes a Kernel Panic when using the Semthex Kernel 8.8.1

Darwin core2duo-mac.lan 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Mon Nov 27 18:58:11 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

kext_files.zip

After some discussions on the #sake IRC channel I tried the Binary Hacked 8.9.1 kernel, but my Bad-Axe 2 motherboard won't boot from this kernel.. So I'll wait with 8.9.1 till Semthex or anybody else releases a more compatible version!

I'm now running NetKas's 8.9.1 kernel after manually specify-ing the FSB in the com.apple.boot.plist everything seems to work nice!

Still no information on most System Profiler tabs (but who cares)...

At least OpenGL based applications (and games like UT2004 and Quake) work fine (also replaced the OpenGL.framework to the 10.4.8 one)

I'm now running NetKas's 8.9.1 kernel after manually specify-ing the FSB in the com.apple.boot.plist everything seems to work nice!

Still no information on most System Profiler tabs (but who cares)...

At least OpenGL based applications (and games like UT2004 and Quake) work fine (also replaced the OpenGL.framework to the 10.4.8 one)

hi KasperNL,

I'm using 8.9.1 netkas kernel too but looks like it very slow on my system. it' took 2 minutes when get booting.

what fsb setting are u used? and how do i know what is my fsb?

thanks