PATA IDE Cable (Are they reversible?)

6 posts in this topic

What does that question mean? I'll explain. Normally a cable is set up this way:

post-46964-1171686388.png

Notice how the Motherboard connection has a large space between it and the first device. Then the two devices have a small space between them. What if your devices have a large space between them?

Could you set up the PATA cable like this?:

post-46964-1171686401.png

Just make sure you set up the jumpers correctly, that is to make the middle one master and the one at the end of the cable slave. Could work with cable-select to but it's better to tell which hdd is which through the jumpers.

hi,

plug the blue one into the board. This is the usual way.

Using a black one on the board MAY cause very long to for HD detection. Just try it out - you cant't break anything when changing the plugs.

MFG

WolfgangS

Edited by WolfgangS

Note - Only try that on a 40pin Desktop cable - Some computers have multiway 44pin cables, as used for notebook's and these 40pin cables carry both signals and live power. Reordering them CAN fry your motherboard, and drives.

It's a good question though, do tell me how it turns out!

Note - Only try that on a 40pin Desktop cable - Some computers have multiway 44pin cables, as used for notebook's and these 40pin cables carry both signals and live power. Reordering them CAN fry your motherboard, and drives.

It's a good question though, do tell me how it turns out!

That's rrright, so don't do this on your precious Amiga 1200 supercomputah or you will fry Lisa :)