Access "boot:" Prompt?

jrrjrr

8 posts in this topic

I have a new MBP. I used Boot Camp to install Windows XP on it. Now, I would like to do some experimenting with the OSX portion and I can't figure out how to get a "boot:" prompt so I can pass boot options (like -v or mach_kernel.test) like I can do on my Hackintosh.

I tried editing com.apple.Boot.plist to add in QuietBoot=No and Timeout=5, but it still boots into OSX without showing a text screen for a few seconds where I can hit a key and then enter boot options. Best I can do so far is hit Command-s after the chime and boot into single user mode, but I really would like to be able to pass it alternate kernel names at this step also.

Any ideas???

From doing some Googling, I think what I am looking to do is access Open Firmware when it boots. That normally gets you to a prompt where you can issue a "load" command for the kernel you want it to boot with and then a "boot" command to continue on booting it. The way to get into the Open Firmware is command-option-O-F from what I am reading, but that is not doing anything for me. I think some of this gets mucked with because of Boot Camp being in place. So still seeking help -- A way to pass an alternate kernel for it to boot with when you are a Boot Camp user?

Guest bikedude880
From doing some Googling, I think what I am looking to do is access Open Firmware when it boots. That normally gets you to a prompt where you can issue a "load" command for the kernel you want it to boot with and then a "boot" command to continue on booting it. The way to get into the Open Firmware is command-option-O-F from what I am reading, but that is not doing anything for me. I think some of this gets mucked with because of Boot Camp being in place. So still seeking help -- A way to pass an alternate kernel for it to boot with when you are a Boot Camp user?

Intel Macs do not have Open Firmware, rather EFI. Open Firmware was cast out with PPC when the upgrade to Intel occurred.

Thanks for the Open Firmware to EFI info. It actually dawned on me that there was no more Open Firmware about 2 minutes ago.

I can get cmd-v and cmd-s working now. I guess I had the wrong timing in attempts before. Also c to boot off a CD and t to boot into Target Disk mode work. But nothing I have tried gets me to any place to feed it boot options and the change to EFI must have depreciated a lot of the options that you used to be able to set in com.apple.Boot.plist.

I know you figured it out but here's a few more options :P

Press C during startup Start up from a bootable CD or DVD, such as the Mac OS X Install disc that came with the computer.

Press D during startup Start up in Apple Hardware Test (AHT), if the Install DVD 1 is in the computer.

Press Option-Command-P-R until you hear two beeps. Reset NVRAM

Press Option during startup Starts into Startup Manager, where you can select a Mac OS X volume to start from. Note: Press N to make the the first bootable Network volume appear as well.

Press Eject, F12, or hold the mouse button Ejects any removable media, such as an optical disc.

Press N during startup Attempt to start up from a compatible network server (NetBoot).

Press T during startup Start up in FireWire Target Disk mode.

Press Shift during startup Start up in Safe Boot mode and temporarily disable login items.

Press Command-V during startup Start up in Verbose mode.

Press Command-S during startup Start up in Single-User mode.

Press Option-N during startup Start from a NetBoot server using the default boot image.