OSX on IBM X41

vipper

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new from Mac World.I just have downloaded the 3 DVDs

MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz

MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD

10.4.7 Jas

the DVD boost with Apple Symbol and reading circle Symbol.After this, the hold Monitor changed into blue and do nothing. No pointer , the keyboard hang. I have tryed this 3 DVDs for more times,but i recieved the same things .

Should i change everything in Bios Setup IQR....???

thanks for every comments

By "reading circle Symbol," do you mean a symbol that could be called a "no smoking" symbol.

If so, this is representative of a problem with the DVD installer recognizing the ATA controller. You might try the new disc in case it has incorporated any more changes. Or, there might be an installer patch for your particular hardware.

Stephen

By "reading circle Symbol," do you mean a symbol that could be called a "no smoking" symbol.

If so, this is representative of a problem with the DVD installer recognizing the ATA controller. You might try the new disc in case it has incorporated any more changes. Or, there might be an installer patch for your particular hardware.

Stephen

This is what i mean with "reading circle symbol".

050913osx1_thumb.gifhttp://www.pconline.com.cn/pcedu/soft/st/other/0509/pic/050913osx1_thumb.gif

After this screen , the screen changed into blue without any action. DVD stop to read, the keyboard blocked....

Any one who has already installed mac on X41 or Thinkpad Series.

Please help me, i has spent a lot of time but no result.

• 1 year later...

I've done a test install of JaS 10.4.7 (after the Kalyway 10.5.1 image got stuck at the Welcome screen). I've purchased a USB wifi dongle for now and have ordered an Atheros card to replace the internal wifi.

I've not yet tried to get sound or the battery meter working.

One problem I've noticed is that often when the system is accessing the hard drive my mouse pointer will disappear and/or freeze. This isn't constant but it has been somewhat annoying.

The best way to install 10.4.7 is via an external USB drive for the X41

I own one of these myself and I only had luck with the JaS release so far

Yeah, I used an external DVD drive to install the operating system. I also had to use the papercip trick in order to get past the Language screen and to boot normally after install.

I've successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on the X41. I have to say, it seems to run faster/better than JaS 10.4.7. Here are the requirements:

- use the paperclip trick on the VGA port or connect to an external monitor

- at the DVD boot prompt: -cpus=1 -v

If you don't specify -cpus=1 at the boot prompt, the install will hang indefinitely at either the Languages or Welcome screen.

Post-install it boots normally. Sound works out of the box!

Thanks for the awesome info _azure!

I managed to get JaS 10.4.8 working as well on the X41.

Does Kalyway use the same type of the Semthex kernel as JaS does?

Right now I'm trying the ToH RC2 Leopard DVD with that since I do not have the Kalyway yet. I'm going to have to get that if the ToH one does not work.

yes I did get the tablet working perfectly under 10.4.8 with TabletMagic and the tablet enabler script I found on here

That is fantastic news. What settings did you use in TabletMagic to get the calibration right?

I used the default settings

In the calibration tab, I clicked constrain

Then I enabled the Mac Ink daemon

ToH RC2 worked on the X41 too but I need to boot it from the DVD or otherwise it won't boot and the external monitor has to be plugged in all the time

Also, I had to install it using the -cpus=1 option, like you mentioned

ToH RC2 worked on the X41 too but I need to boot it from the DVD or otherwise it won't boot and the external monitor has to be plugged in all the time

Do you know about the paperclip trick? I'll have to dig up the photo later, but basically you connect a couple of pins on the VGA port and it keeps you from having to plug in an external monitor.

I've successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on the X41. I have to say, it seems to run faster/better than JaS 10.4.7. Here are the requirements:

- use the paperclip trick on the VGA port or connect to an external monitor

- at the DVD boot prompt: -cpus=1 -v

If you don't specify -cpus=1 at the boot prompt, the install will hang indefinitely at either the Languages or Welcome screen.

Post-install it boots normally. Sound works out of the box!

The ComboUpdate to 10.5.2 works well but beware the other kernel update will cause a kernel panic. So only install the Kalyway ComboUpdate. :o

• 2 months later...
yes I did get the tablet working perfectly under 10.4.8 with TabletMagic and the tablet enabler script I found on here

I have not had any luck getting TabletMagic to work on my X41 tablet. I've searched for the enabler script you mention but I cannot find it. When I run TabletMagic and click on "Enable" I get the "No Tablet Found" message. The only thing I did was run the installer on the TabletMagic website. Is there more to it than that?

If you could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I'm not sure how comparable the specs are on the X41, but I installed the XxX 10.4.11 version on my Thinkpad X31 and have found it to work very well. I've had a few applications crashing which I am not sure to attribute to the install or the actual application itself. Overall the system seems very stable and I've not had to patch anything to get it working. No paperclip trick needed.

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to realize what a n00b I am but I did figure it out - and alas my first endeavor with my first hackint0sh begins.

I tried installing the BCM 5701 kext but that didnt do the trick. Digging around I found the drivers for the bcm5751 and copied the kext file into extentions folder. Rebooted my x41 and in terminal mode typed:

ifconfig en0 ether 00:0B:XX:XX:XX:XX (where 00:0B:XX:XX:XX:XX is the MAC address of the internal nic) You can easily find this info in the BIOS. :)

Thanks everyone!!! Now its time to play :(

P.S. For some reason I couldnt get 10.5.1 to play nice, maybe I'll give that a shot some other time

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...