Best MOBO for OSx86 and XP/Vista

83 posts in this topic

I'm looking at this setup.

Thermalright Ultra-120

Intel D975XBX2 (in Boo50 I trust)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

OCZ PC2-6400 4-4-4-15

BFG 7600GT

My only issues would be the processor and RAM. I've been told I could get cheaper 5300 RAM without a loss in speed - I'll need to research that. Boo50 recommends the Xeon, which is now a rebadged Conroe. The E6300 is 224$ in my currency, the Xeon 3050 is 310$, which is a rebadged Conroe e6400 at 270$. The Xeon would need to be ordered specialty as well. 3ghz is tempting, and very easy with that heatsink if the CPU and RAM can do it, but I'm still uncertain about the value and being as lucky as Boo50 with the CPU.

edit: it seems that watercooling gets the 3050 up higher, but that 3ghz is somewhat easy. Since 3ghz CPUs are so expensive, I'm interested. Boo50, what temperatures are you getting at 3ghz?

Edited by frizbot

My system:

At the moment this is what I'm looking at, prices in cdn.. and rounded up because i live in a little town where it all has to be shipped in.

Intel D945GNTLKR - I'm currently winning this on ebay at 31.00, if I lose it a new one is 162.00, if I spend 282.00 I get the badaxe2, surprisingly the asus is only 133.00, and in stock....

I've ordered in a P-D 930 with the VT as suggested by Boo50, after reading up on it, thats the one for me, I've seen online this processor successfully oc'd to 4ghz and thoughts are it can go higher.. I don't really plan on doing that.. processor is 212.00

2 gig of pc2-5300 ddr2-667 ram, buying a pair of them for 160.00

asus 7600 gs silent / 256 meg, local store has it for 134.00, its probably cheaper online, but then theres shipping involved.

maxtor maxline 500 gig hd, on sale for 155.00 - i like space.

case is going to be a simple antec sonata, also in stock locally at 134.00 - case is heavy, its cheaper online, shipping is a biotch.

I have an i-rocks slim keyboard thats white, with all the apple keys on it already, and i also have an extra pioneer 111d, they're only 38 new..

so I'll have a cooker of a machine, not a core duo, but still very capable..

diabolik that little mobo is great.. 'spensive tho.. really nice for a small htpc, for that price might as well buy my own mini tho. :)

diabolik that little mobo is great.. 'spensive tho.. really nice for a small htpc, for that price might as well buy my own mini tho. ;)

its the greatest thing to g4 cubes next to powerlogix upgrade CPU's if you want to stuff an osx86 mobo into it like i have.

Some of you are going to be shocked by what I ended up buying. Especially after raving about the badaxe2 board. :)

I did a ton of reading and realized a few things these past couple of days.

1. The Intel 965 chipset isn't really the best choice yet for OSX. The 945 is. And the 975 too I hear.

2. I wanted more IDE compatibility for awhile.

3. Price really did end up being important to me in the end.

4. Strong enthusiasm from the OSX guru's on the board here (Diabolik, bikedude880) made the final decision for me though.

5. I didn't want a micro ATX board with limited expandability. Maybe when I build my next tiny box...

So.... I went with the P5LD2 R2.0.

This is a FULL sized board. On revision 2 now, so the bugs are worked out and the user ratings are stellar for this board at newegg. Basically they rave about how it is the best priced/value board right now for the Conroe Core 2 Duo chips, which seems true. I paid $99.99 for my board today at Newegg. More than $129 less than the badaxe2.

Also they raved about how the built in IDE is better than the addon Jmicron stuff you get if you go with the newer boards which use add on IDE controller chips because Intel drops support for IDE internally. I've used addon controller chips for many years and am not a fan of loading the vendor cheesy drivers.

So I ended up getting:

1. A full sized board.

2. 3 PCI slots.

3. A great price

4. Identical compatibility to the VM model of this board so I can use Diabolik's installation guide without issue. I just lose the onboard 950 video.

5. It does Core 2 duo. And has 4 memory slots.

6. I overclocks well and has great bios options and stability according to user reviews.

It lacks firewire, but it seems most of the choices do except for a few boards. (Kinda sacrilege I think though not having firewire on an OSX machine. It's kinda un-Apple like. :)) But I never use firewire except for video camera ripping anyway. Jeeesh... now that I think about it, I'm gonna need that! Hmmm. I hope an add in card will work... :angel:

I also got 2GB of G-Skill 2x1GB sticks @ $169. Just the Cas 5 stuff. Maybe I shoulda bought the Cas 4 stuff anyone? Or perhaps just 667 sticks? Any problems do you think I'll have trying to run 800 ram in this board? Anyone heard any compatibility problems with these sticks in this board? If they work, I'll let you know. They should I think though as the board is rated up to 1066 FSB.

And I orderd the FANLESS :) Gigabyte 7300GS 512MB (256mb onboard). So I hope this will work with sleep since it's a 7300. I've heard the 7300GS's sleep with no problem I hope that's true. And I hope OSX sees it as a 256 and not a 512. I'm guessing the additional 256mb is only within windows and is virtual, stealing it from system ram.

I already got an E6300, so am just waiting for all this to arrive.

So it cost me $350 total. Not bad for a fun OSX test box.

I'll get a Pioneer 111D DVD drive soon as well, as I've read these are the most compatible and what Apple uses as their main brand.

I'll also be running either a Ninja revision B, or water cooling unit on it.

So thanks all for your input. It's been fun. I'll post my results in a week or so when everything is here and put together.

Rational.

@Diabolik

Hey, did you write somewhere that you have dual monitors working with an add2-n card?

Does OSX see that as a secondary intel gma 950, or does it steal from system ram as well?

Which one do you have ? - what did you do to set it up..?

@Diabolik

Hey, did you write somewhere that you have dual monitors working with an add2-n card?

Does OSX see that as a secondary intel gma 950, or does it steal from system ram as well?

Which one do you have ? - what did you do to set it up..?

ive never used an add2-n card. for the $50 extra id spend on it, id shell out the extra $10 to get a 7300gs.

i know they work on gma900 machines and they did allocate ram from the system.

snip

So.... I went with the P5LD2 R2.0.

This is a FULL sized board. On revision 2 now, so the bugs are worked out and the user ratings are stellar for this board at newegg. Basically they rave about how it is the best priced/value board right now for the Conroe Core 2 Duo chips, which seems true. I paid $99.99 for my board today at Newegg. More than $129 less than the badaxe2.

Hey Rational, just in case you want to save a few bux, this board is on ebay

-One

QUOTE(Onetrack @ Feb 24 2007, 03:20 AM) *

@Diabolik

Which one do you have ? - what did you do to set it up.

ive never used an add2-n card. for the $50 extra id spend on it, id shell out the extra $10 to get a 7300gs.

i know they work on gma900 machines and they did allocate ram from the system.

I just got an Add2 card from Newegg for $17.95 3 day shipping free!

I got it so I can use my LCD on Digital hookup (DVI) OSX & Windows both see it as Intel 950 Graphics with 2 Displays( VGA & DVI ) yes it uses system RAM. Both can be used at the same time. I'm not a gamer on PC nor Mac and I'm surprised that the Intel 950 graphics are way better then expected. Way better then the Nvidia 5500 card I paid $79.00 for on sale in Jan 06 . XBench scores show I'm not just dreaming. I had no idea the 7300 Video cards are only $60.00 but I have no use for one at this time plus the Intel 950 just works no extra messing around. I know all the graphics people are down on the Intel graphics being slow and using system RAM etc. So I was expecting it to suck but it doesn't so I can now see why Apple uses it with the Mac mini. Will

Asus P5L-MX motherbaord

thanks for the heads up! i didnt know, i havent searched for them in a year or two.

No problem! I'd never heard of them until someone on this forum mentioned them. I'd been wanting to use the DVI output from my Flat panel since word is it's much clearer then the vga output. They were right it is sharper! Just so people know the Add2 card is not a video card. It is really more of an adapter that lets you use DVI out with the onboard Intel Graphics . You can still use the vga port at the same time if you want to use 2 monitors . Newegg also has add2 cards with 2 DVI ports and you can spend more money on a more expensive card but not sure you get anything for that.

Edited by Schwinn555

Hi guys,

Interesting idea about the add2 card. Can you give me more information on how to find it at newegg? I'm searching "add2" and "add2-n" and not finding anything.

Also, a couple of questions about it.

Does it require the VM (onboard video) motherboard? Or will it work with the regular P5LD2 and other Intel chipset boards?

Is it just an output port of sorts for the internal chipset graphics?

And what kind of port does it use? A small PCI-e slot? or PCI?

Very interesting. I'm wondering if its possible to skip using any regular external GPU and just order a dual head one of these or two of these and use them. They'd take up 2 slots, but it'd be compatible by default right?

Edit: Just found the Intel link: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte...b/cs-013296.htm

"Note: ADD2 cards are compatible only with systems containing the Intel G965, Q965, Q963, 946GZ, 915G or 945G Express Chipset and a PCI Express slot. ADD2 cards cannot be inserted into AGP compliant systems (e.g. Intel® 845G and 865G chipset families)."

So it looks like my assumption was right about needing the "G" version of the chipsets in order to utilize this. So it looks like for the VM board, it is a cheap way to add a second monitor.

Thanks for the tip.

Rational

Edited by rational

I found the add 2 card by just puting add 2 into the search at the top of the page @ newegg. I just got the card this week. I get 0 now and putting in the full name of the card doesn't help either(Pegasus Single or Double DVI ADD2 card from WINTEC Industries. Very odd newegg is either not selling them anymore or the search isn't working right.

The add2 requires a PCI-E x16 slot same as a Video card. It enables teh built in Intel Graphics chip to run a second monitor on a DVI port and the VGA port which all Intel builtin chips has still works. There are also 2 DVI port Add2 cards. I doubt the graphics chip would be happy with a whole row of Add 2 cards and monitors. Where some of you get your wild ideas ;-) No wonder machines get fried! The BAd AX doesn't even have Intel grahics does it? As already mentioned the Add 2 is an adapter for DVI not a Video card.

I Have to agree with Diabolik about this board....Also if you look at the demon, you will be surprised ... this board (along with other) can be modified to activate Windows Vista without problems....

I would have to say go with the ASUS P5LD2-VM

ive been makin hackintosh after hackintosh about 9 so far.... :dev:

and the ASUS P5LD2-VM has to be by far the most compatible 945g chipset mobo. (out of the box i mean, its my fav. OSX86 Mobo By far)

the only thing you will have to add is Taruga's AppleHDA for ALC882 in the Drivers subforum of the hardware section of out forum.

Well I didn't win the Intel board, so I ordered in myself a P5LD2-VM v2.0 green.. should be here in 2 days..

Parts on the way:

White compucase (reeeeeeeeeeeallly cheap case, doesn't look too bad tho)

Silverstone strider 360watt psu w/120 mm fan

Pentium d - 930vt, almost could go core duo, but i'd already ordered it.

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit

Maxtor maxline pro 500 gig hd sata 2, 7200rpm, 16 meg cache

Pioneer 111d dual layer burner

I've got an irocks slim white/silver mac keyboard and a white logitec optical mouse already

and, I've got a printout of Diabolik's how to.. :)

2 days from now i should be humming along with it.

Honestly, a decent case makes life easier. Much less modding is necessary, it'll look better, it'll cool better, and it'll let less noise escape (or use larger fans for less noise). Antec was the first quality case I had, so I stick with them in general now. 24$ compared to 70$ is a great deal though.

If they haven't sent it yet, and NCIX does let you cancel before payment processing, I'd change that HD. It's less reliable for desktop use as its more for RAID. It does less data recovery attempts to keep up in a RAID. Cheap half-terrabyte though. Good choice on the 120mm fan PSU.

I notice you got DDR2-800 5-5-5-12 2x1gb. I don't know the RAM well. I'm looking to overclock though I don't care about timings. I guess that means I can't buy 1x2gb DDR2-5400. I'm not sure if CPU overclocking means I need something higher than DDR2-6400 on a board with that specification though. Price goes up about 100$, which could be spent better I'd think. Can anyone clarify that? Thanks.

Edited by frizbot

Honestly, a decent case makes life easier. Much less modding is necessary, it'll look better, it'll cool better, and it'll let less noise escape (or use larger fans for less noise). Antec was the first quality case I had, so I stick with them in general now. 24$ compared to 70$ is a great deal though.

yeah.. not to say I won't mod it, I've had some very nice cases, like the Temjin and centurion, i've had some decent cases like the sonata ii, i've had a nice shuttle system.. i just wanted to start with something basic.. i think i'll probably start with the white, paint it pearl white and maybe a coat of laquer just to make it shine..

I have my current win/hackintosh in one of the xion cases, and what a pos.. i never want another case with a swing door.. (it swung open and busted off when i took the system to work one day.. damn door frames..

If they haven't sent it yet, and NCIX does let you cancel before payment processing, I'd change that HD. It's less reliable for desktop use as its more for RAID. It does less data recovery attempts to keep up in a RAID. Cheap half-terrabyte though. Good choice on the 120mm fan PSU.

Its going to be mated to the other 500 gig maxline I have.. ;) - 99 bux cdn, on a boxing day special, I'll atempt to mirror them, the boot drive will be a 320, and i have another 250gig ide just for my.. documents..

I notice you got DDR2-800 5-5-5-12 2x1gb. I don't know the RAM well. I'm looking to overclock though I don't care about timings. I guess that means I can't buy 1x2gb DDR2-5400. I'm not sure if CPU overclocking means I need something higher than DDR2-6400 on a board with that specification though. Price goes up about 100$, which could be spent better I'd think. Can anyone clarify that? Thanks.

Really I probably will try a little overclocking once the machine is stable, i'm going to mod up the case a bit, mount in a couple nice crystal antec 120mm's for airflow and probably take a dremel to the case to open up a vent or two.. I have a lowely celeron d now with an aftermarket cooler in the xion and holy god does it get hot.. this machine is going to be pure osx tho, I'll leave the celly as a headless box and stick it in the closet somewhere. As for the ram, yes timings are important, i got the ram for a steal (about 130 less than is listed on ncix's site) so I figure wth.. might as well go with the heatsinks and better ram.

I do expect the case to be just junk, but I should be able to re-work it and make it into something nice.. for 24 bux it was a nice start. Decent white cases are harder to find anyways..

I really wanted to pick up a kingwin supernova, but I'd ordered the parts thinking i'd have a full size atx, while the asus board is an matx, oh well, not a big investment.

I've done a Intel D945GLC with C2D. Rocks hard and required 3 minor hacks (2 if you live with 950 GMA). U have to add the nic vendor ID and the old sound kext. Expansion is a bit tight (one PCIe and 2 PCI) and if you use a big PCIe video card one of the PCI is blocked. Also there are only 2 memory slots.

Wow, sorry about that Onetrack. I saw the cheap case and the nearline storage, and thought you needed more info. I should have known from the now-low wattage 120mm-fan PSU though, and the buying from NCIX. Well done.

I do like the case doors though, since they muffle some of the noise from the CD drives, but they are cheaply made. I added some weight to the slk3000 door and that helped a lot. The Antec Tricool is a good fan, and I like the Nexus and Noctua for 120mm. You can get the best CPU heatsinks for about 50$. I like the Thermalright Ultra-120, and so does SCPR.

I still have yet to look into RAM timings and speed for overclocking. Boo50 did very well on his overclock, and I'd like to do similarly well, but avoiding buying DDR2-8000 etc since its ~100$ more.

Edited by frizbot