My iBook Training Machine

c-e-l

9 posts in this topic

Greetings from the land of OZ..

I currently use Linux as my main machine and have been wanting to try OS X for some time now.. I spent a few months lurking around here and finally tried a JAS 10.4.6 under VMware.. It was fairly painless to get going but everything is jumpy and not very smooth as well as slowwww.. Most of the issues I had were fixable but I really did not want to fight to get it going.. Fighting to get things to work smoothly is one of the reasons I'm looking to move off the linux desktop.. I'm a tired old geek who just wants things to work without spending days reading and tweaking to get things right..

So today I aquired a used iBook to use for testing and learning all about the Mac Os X experience.. It is an iBook G3 with the 800 MHz PowerPC Processor, 640 MB SDRAM,

CD-RW, DVD-ROM and Airport wireless card.. It had fresh 10.4.6 loaded up and when I got it home I ran the updates and brought her up to the latest version.. 

I must say I am quite impressed with the peformace of this little unit.. It runs

everything flawlessly and much much faster than OSx86 under VMWare.. I plan to use it to become fully familiar with the OS including under the pretty interface.. I know linux well and have worked with FreeBSD in the past so I expect things will become familiar in no time.. I figure if in the end I do not like the Mac OS X experience I can always load up linux PPC and have a nice little on the road unit..

One of the many great articles I have read by others and their experience is http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/ this is great read and a nice intro into the OS.. I recommend it to those who are interested in an intro about the under the hood stuff.. I think it may be a few years old but pretty certain still relevant..

Thanks to all those who have helped guide me even though you weren't aware you were ;)

cel..........

I am poking for some used iBook to but I consider rather G4. How many seconds it take to launch safari or how many "bounces"? Did you can play SD trailers on these machine?

any of these?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/hd/

Can you tell me did surfing with safari is fluid? Try Digg site.

How much CPU take flash site? YouTube

Or how Word works?

sorry for that questions but I want one and don't have enough money even for used G4. Maybe G3 :)

Hi Alicheusz,

I did a fresh reboot and started up the following applications..

Safari - 2 bounces and about 5 seconds to appear on screen and another 5 seconds for apples default start page to load..

Opera - 15 bounces and about 16 seconds to load.. Had local html file for home page.. (My Primary Browser)

iTunes - 5 bounces and about 13 seconds to load.. Has an empty library though..

Digg loaded fine and so did you tube.. played some of the shorts on the home page and they played fine.. User cpu % hovered around 30% for most sites I browsed.. You tube spiked up and down not really staying steady..

My use will be limited to surf email and maybe some light coding for application evaluation.. I really don't plan to use it for too much music or video stuff..

I did run a DVD and it worked just fine for me..

Hope that helps..

cel...........

Edited by c-e-l

Hi Alicheusz,

I'm running the latest Opera for the Mac.. I have been using Opera since its begining and it always took a little longer than the other browsers to load.. I still think it is the best though, it has always been way ahead of its time..

I have never used Safari and plan to use it for awhile to take her for a test drive.. Intitial impressions have been good.. It seems to be very fast at rendering..

cel...........

I have never used Safari and plan to use it for awhile to take her for a test drive.. Intitial impressions have been good.. It seems to be very fast at rendering..

This is my primary browser on mac it lack a little speed on some web 2.0 pages like digg but is fastest in everything else. Has very efficient cache. And is very well integrated with system. Spellchecker, dictionary (try control+command+D) or (control + shift + I) while on web page. Of course Saft and Inquisitor is a must. With TextMate you can make easy external editing via contextual menu. And of course apple script very useful with things like DevonThink

Edited by alicheusz

Greetings from the land of OZ..

I currently use Linux as my main machine and have been wanting to try OS X for some time now.. I spent a few months lurking around here and finally tried a JAS 10.4.6 under VMware.. It was fairly painless to get going but everything is jumpy and not very smooth as well as slowwww.. Most of the issues I had were fixable but I really did not want to fight to get it going.. Fighting to get things to work smoothly is one of the reasons I'm looking to move off the linux desktop.. I'm a tired old geek who just wants things to work without spending days reading and tweaking to get things right..

So today I aquired a used iBook to use for testing and learning all about the Mac Os X experience.. It is an iBook G3 with the 800 MHz PowerPC Processor, 640 MB SDRAM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM and Airport wireless card.. It had fresh 10.4.6 loaded up and when I got it home I ran the updates and brought her up to the latest version..

I must say I am quite impressed with the peformace of this little unit.. It runs everything flawlessly and much much faster than OSx86 under VMWare.. I plan to use it to become fully familiar with the OS including under the pretty interface.. I know linux well and have worked with FreeBSD in the past so I expect things will become familiar in no time.. I figure if in the end I do not like the Mac OS X experience I can always load up linux PPC and have a nice little on the road unit..

One of the many great articles I have read by others and their experience is http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/ this is great read and a nice intro into the OS.. I recommend it to those who are interested in an intro about the under the hood stuff.. I think it may be a few years old but pretty certain still relevant..

Thanks to all those who have helped guide me even though you weren't aware you were :)

cel..........

Hey Mate,

(From Oz too) I just got an iBook 12in 800MHz G4 as a training machine too. OSx86 was good (10.4.8, all working), but I wanted a real mac, but couldn't afford an Intel. So I got this baby off eBay. Bit slow with 256MB RAM if you have more than two apps open, but a 512MB stick is comming soon. But, the PPC platform is much faster than I thought it would be!