God, why do people believe in the idea?

178 posts in this topic

You guys really don't see how it has anything to do with god? If you look at the world through a metaphorical trope then everything is like us, including god, everything is measured in terms of ourselves. we use metaphor to explain things we don't understand, rather than trying to figure it out...

it was really just an interesting thing I learned in class, and I thought its relation to god was quite clear..but if its not, I can try to explain it some more.

Seriously, Killbot I have no idea what you're trying to repeat here to us...

Just to start out, these tropes have nothing directly to do with god, it is rather much more indirect. I found them quite interesting, because I thought of god when I learned these explanation, especially Metaphor vs. Irony

With the metaphorical trope, we are looking at the world through the lenses of ourselves. We are looking at the world and using ourselves as the measuring stick. We are incapable of removing ourselves...from ourselves, in this train of thought, it is literally impossible. When one says that God is a man, and that God has shaped the world to the way it is now, it is really a metaphor for a man shaping land around him, it is analogous. Because man can shape the world around him, we like to believe that the universe is the same way, only it's a bigger man and its a bigger world.

With the Metonymy trope, we begin to look at life through not completely metaphorical ways. For example, if we say "a vein of rock" we are using a metaphor, veins have nothing to do with rocks. But with metonymy we start to use related comparisons, for example "The Crown" to represent the monarchy. They are two closely related things and one is being used to explain the other. If we were to apply this to god, it would be like saying "The Bible" to refer to Christianity, rather than saying "God" and Man.

With the Synechdoche Trope, one thing is more representative of the whole than the other parts of the whole. For example, in Christianity, Jesus IS Christianity. In other words, Jesus is more representative of Christianity than the apostle Paul was, even though Paul was an integral part of Christianity. Jesus is the defining characteristic of an entire religion, rather than simply looking at the whole

Irony is the ability to take one's self out of the equation all together. It is the ability to ask the question "What is god?" rather than "God is....(human relational thing here)"

Again, not directly related but an interesting thing to think about, and again I apologize, this is second hand remembering from class with no notes. Giambattista Vico describes it in his book "The New Science" for a more complete explanation hahah.

I just thought I would get some real writing here, rather than simply opinions.