God, why do people believe in the idea?

178 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about the whole concept of God. Why are people so inclined to believe in it. I mean most people are pretty damn rational about most things, but when it comes to faith and god, the rationality goes right out the window, why do you think that is?

And no, I am not dissing on any body's beliefs or anything but whether you believe in God or not, the idea of faith in a supernatural deity is irrational and illogical even if they turn out to be right, just saying is all.

Edited by killbot1000

Well i think its because people would feel worthless otherwise, they like the idea that god has a master plan for them, so whatever happens in life whether it be bad or good, happened because it was supposed to.

i think it is because people want to have meaning to thier life. people want a way to understand why things happen. i believe that science has prooved away any kind of suppernatrual beings, but thats just my opinion. people in the era before science needed ways to explain nature

There could be supernatural beings... but if they were ever detected, they would cease to be supernatural and become natural.

You are right, in a sense. Nothing is supernatural. Supernatural is just a term used by human beings for what they don't understand.

I was just thinking about the whole concept of atheism. Why are people so inclined to believe in it. I mean most people are pretty damn rational about most things, but when it comes to evolution and atheism, the rationality goes right out the window, why do you think that is?

And no, I am not dissing on any body's beliefs or anything but whether you believe in atheism or not, the idea of faith in man is irrational and illogical even if they turn out to be right, just saying is all.

DoubleSpeak - CopyRitZ 2007 NWO

I believe that we evolved from the BOOBIES because it can magically form single cell organaZmZ.

Mostly Fear.

Men created ‘gods’ for things they did not understand, fire,rain, women…

Throughout centuries a lot has changed and in most religions there is only one god left, but there are still a lot of things people do not understand.

People fear things they can’t understand.

Religion is base don this fear. Fear of death, fear of losing god’s love/help… whatever.

Don’t forget, they tell children to say their prayers before they go to sleep…

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

If that won’t scare them… every night ‘if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take’

It’s just sick.. children are very easily influenced. Scare them to hell, tell them it is love and you’ve got religion.

And after years of conditioning they will believe there is a god and not question it.

They are scared to hell, and don’t even know it, because they have been ‘programmed’ to see this fear as ‘love’.

......or something.....

oh yeah and I also do not want to offend anybody or anything..

Mostly Fear.

Men created ‘gods’ for things they did not understand, fire,rain, women…

Throughout centuries a lot has changed and in most religions there is only one god left, but there are still a lot of things people do not understand.

People fear things they can’t understand.

Religion is base don this fear. Fear of death, fear of losing god’s love/help… whatever.

Don’t forget, they tell children to say their prayers before they go to sleep…

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

If that won’t scare them… every night ‘if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take’

It’s just sick.. children are very easily influenced. Scare them to hell, tell them it is love and you’ve got religion.

And after years of conditioning they will believe there is a god and not question it.

They are scared to hell, and don’t even know it, because they have been ‘programmed’ to see this fear as ‘love’.

......or something.....

oh yeah and I also do not want to offend anybody or anything..

That would make a bit of sense seeing as my parents aren't religious and didn't raise me as such (but they are much more spiritual and open to the possibility than I am). I went further on the scale and became kind of an agnostic with heavy heavy atheist overtones. It just doesn't logically make any sense to me...thats why I am so puzzled.

Simply because when we were *created*, our *creators* thought that *programming* a sense of purpose and god, would enable us to work better or atleast live our lives meaningfully.

Also this helped in the creation of religon, which helped prevent people going and doing crime, because they thought *god* would punish them. Thus religion is/was kind of a moral police which held our society together when there was no formal police or courts n {censored}.

It conveniently also explained why some people enslaved other people, or did bad unjustifiable things.

Lastly it also explained things which we couldnot.

So you see our *creators* simply had to program a sense of god into us, otherwise there would have been bad consequences. Maybe that is the real reason why Neanderthals died. It may also be the reason why I typed this post out right now.

Edited by Unstable Connection

All faith is irrational, by its very definition.

Bush: Gooood, goood, my plan to turn them into cattle is working. Man has failed.

DoubleSpeak CopyRitZ 2007 NWO

ALL Faith in man is irrational, by its very definition.

I was just thinking about the whole concept of God. Why are people so inclined to believe in it. I mean most people are pretty damn rational about most things, but when it comes to faith and god, the rationality goes right out the window, why do you think that is?

And no, I am not dissing on any body's beliefs or anything but whether you believe in God or not, the idea of faith in a supernatural deity is irrational and illogical even if they turn out to be right, just saying is all.

i totaly get you killbot .i understand that you have no intention to attack any religion or people who believes in that.

I feel the same way .I went to catholics schools and went to church as a litle boy .

But then when i was like 12 i did start to ask me the same thing.That same day i realize that i didnt feel or believe the same other people do( "just believe")

without no questions ask.

i m not interested in any God in particular .tho i have read a lot about many religions.

Edited by Zealot

I'm stumped. How does the lack of desire to believe what you're told turn you into a mindless beast fit only to chew cud and be eaten?

You desire to post on this board about the topic, therefor you have faith. Faith is a word, what matters, is what the word implies. The word faith implies the unaltered belief in something. You believe that there is no God, I believe in God. Faith, implies your driven view that there is no God, not a 'lack there of'.

To say otherwise would be DoubleSpeak.

You desire to post on this board about the topic, therefor you have faith. Faith is a word, what matters, is what the word implies. The word faith implies the unaltered belief in something. You believe that there is no God, I believe in God. Faith, implies your driven view that there is no God, not a 'lack there of'.

To say otherwise would be DoubleSpeak.

I would have to disagree. I base my beliefs on logic and common sense, and NO ASSUMPTIONS. That's not faith, its reasonable guessing....I believe what I believe based on the evidence before me, if the evidence changes, my beliefs will change, could you say the same thing about most theists?

I would have to disagree. I base my beliefs on logic and common sense, and NO ASSUMPTIONS. That's not faith, its reasonable guessing....I believe what I believe based on the evidence before me, if the evidence changes, my beliefs will change, could you say the same thing about most theists?

Beliefs based on logic would imply faith in man, and the word of man. The very fact that you believe is by definition FAITH. You have faith in what your fellow man tells you to believe. Your 'evidence' is put before you by other men, men that want you to believe what they do. Therefor your faith lies in Man. Science can neither prove, nor disprove God. And that is were faith in man is flawed. Do you 'believe' that one object can exist in two places at one time? Maybe it can, maybe it can't. Quantum Physics says it can. But do you believe it?

DoubleSpeak

Beliefs based on logic would imply faith in man, and the word of man. The very fact that you believe is by definition FAITH. You have faith in what your fellow man tells you to believe. Your 'evidence' is put before you by other men, men that want you to believe what they do. Therefor your faith lies in Man. Science can neither prove, nor disprove God. And that is were faith in man is flawed. Do you 'believe' that one object can exist in two places at one time? Maybe it can, maybe it can't. Quantum Physics says it can. But do you believe it?

DoubleSpeak

Logic does not imply faith in man of any kind. It is a simple breakdown of language into pieces (like turning language into math) It kind of has nothing to do with faith or belief. I dont really believe in anything, I base things on probability and odds, and logic, it has nothing really to do with faith. I am living in this world because I perceive it to be so, that doesnt mean I believe it to be so...just that I am perceiving it in a certain way, and Im just kind of going with that...thats all. I dont know as much about quantum physics as I would want to, but in terms of an object being in two places at once, maybe, maybe not, I dont know for sure.

And as a final point, faith in some sort of supernatural deity is completely different than faith in man. Because faith in man is tangible, faith in god is not...

Logic does not imply faith in man of any kind. It is a simple breakdown of language into pieces (like turning language into math) It kind of has nothing to do with faith or belief. I dont really believe in anything, I base things on probability and odds, and logic, it has nothing really to do with faith. I am living in this world because I perceive it to be so, that doesnt mean I believe it to be so...just that I am perceiving it in a certain way, and Im just kind of going with that...thats all.

And as a final point, faith in some sort of supernatural deity is completely different than faith in man. Because faith in man is tangible, faith in god is not...

Hehe. Man is flawed. Otherwise 'software' would run in perfect order without error. Logic is the justification of the 0 and 1, do, or do not, there is no try. However, how can one justify the 0 and 1, without it's creation what would it be? 0 or 1? Or the version for those of you who have not the capacity to understand: Which came first? The chicken, or the egg?

Without the existence of matter what theory would one concur to if one existed? The existence of him/herself as the 1? In which case the only 'LOGICAL' answer would be that existence of the 1 would be the creator of matter. Thus God. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed, yet matter exists? How can logic justify itself when logic itself cannot dictate the justification of it's very own existence? You cannot justify infinity, yet you claim it exists?

I dont know as much about quantum physics as I would want to, but in terms of an object being in two places at once, maybe, maybe not, I dont know for sure.

Then how you can say God doesn't exist? If you can't understand the complexity of Quantum Physics, and the hundreds, of thousands of states of matter what qualifications do you have to dictate the existence, or non existence of God? THEREFOR your belief, or faith in your fellow man draws to the unalterable conclusion that your belief is flawed.

You cannot stand there, and say for FACT that God does not exist, you only CHOOSE not to believe in him.

Hehe. Man is flawed. Otherwise 'software' would run in perfect order without error. Logic is the justification of the 0 and 1, do, or do not, there is no try. However, how can one justify the 0 and 1, without it's creation what would it be? 0 or 1? Or the version for those of you who have not the capacity to understand: Which came first? The chicken, or the egg?

Without the existence of matter what theory would one concur to if one existed? The existence of him/herself as the 1? In which case the only 'LOGICAL' answer would be that existence of the 1 would be the creator of matter. Thus God. Matter can neither be created nor destroyed, yet matter exists? How can logic justify itself when logic itself cannot dictate the justification of it's very own existence? You cannot justify infinity, yet you claim it exists?

Then how you can say God doesn't exist? If you can't understand the complexity of Quantum Physics, and the hundreds, of thousands of states of matter what qualifications do you have to dictate the existence, or non existence of God? THEREFOR your belief, or faith in your fellow man draws to the unalterable conclusion that your belief is flawed.

You cannot stand there, and say for FACT that God does not exist, you only CHOOSE not to believe in him.

I cant say god doesnt exist, I dont know if god exists or not, but I have my opinions, my biases but its a little different than faith, im sorry...it just is...

And dont get me wrong, I realize that many things in life are taken on faith, but I firmly believe that there are different KINDS of faith, just like there are different kinds of thought, and that not everything is reliant on faith. There are some universal truths that cannot be ignored, for example, a triangle always has three sides, we can call a square a rectangle if we want, but that doesn't change the fact that the actual shape of a triangle HAS to have three sides. It is our perception of it sure, but that doesn't mean it is based on faith, just common sense, which is quite different. I mean I don't sound like an unreasonable idiot here do I?

Edited by killbot1000

originally by killbot1000:

if u BELIEVE in the evolution THEORY u are making an assumption actually. Youre making an assumption that there was always something to evolve from. Wanna show me some evidence of this? Yea, there is none.

originally by killbot1000:

if u BELIEVE in the evolution THEORY u are making an assumption actually. Youre making an assumption that there was always something to evolve from. Wanna show me some evidence of this? Yea, there is none.

I was talking about logic, not evolution, but since that can of worms has to be opened up. You say there is NO evidence. Well, heres some.

Evolution of the horse:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_horse

I have many more bits of evidence if you want it, this is just an example of an animal for which we have a near complete fossil record, given we cant base an entire theory on one animal, were not, this is just one example. But when you say there is NO evidence, you are sorely mistaken, in the field of biology theres actually too much evidence, the problem is that when we are digging up fossils, its hard to tell whether they belong to one species or another because the change is so gradual. Also, there are not billions of perfectly preserved fossils waiting for us underneath the ground, many of the ones we find are partial, etc.

In any case, evolution could have a few holes in it, I'm not denying that, however, just because something has a few holes in it, doesn't make it wrong. And if you knew anything about science, and knew what a theory actually means in the context OF science, then we wouldn't be having this conversation (with science, even atomic structure [ie protons, electrons, etc.] are theories) so please, learn what a theory actually is before you start spouting off about things you know nothing about.

and no, I don't BELIEVE in the evolution theory, right now the evidence points to that theory being the most sound, as soon as the evidence changes, my opinion changes, simple...

I'd like to see you come up with ANY shred of evidence that man came from dust, and women came from men's rib (haha what a load of {censored}). And Don't you dare point out the bible (or Qu'ran or whatever) as proof, because its not, I could read a star trek book and say that the starship enterprise really existed and that their journeys were completely real.

Atleast Oryhara's arguments were valid and coherent, and worth arguing about...

Edited by killbot1000

why people do believe in God?

I wanted to ask you a question. Don't to believe in God? This is the part where you would say " I don't believe in anything"? Right?But this is where you are wrong, everyone believes in something. You believe in science, medicine, technology and such things want, you can see. But some people are believing in God, some of them believe in extraterrestrial, force fields and so on and so on.

So, if you can believe in things you can't touch and see, why can't people believe something they can't see?

In any case we all are at the same level. And we are all the same.

Except for predates is from planet Pluto!.

:-)