Disk I/O error Disk Utility Dell Inspiron 6000

Waxer

4 posts in this topic

I just downloaded the new JAS .iso DVD for SSE2 & SSE3 CPUs, version 10.4.8, for Intel & AMD. I'm after some help, as I get a disk i/o error when I use disk utility to try to partition the hard drive. It sees my internal drive no problem, and I have had this drive running Windows XP, Ubuntu & OSX86 (10.4.6 I think) no problem. Something seems to have changed, but I don't know what.

I haven't messed with OSX86 for about 6 months, but now I'm keen to get it working again. Windows XP is currently on the machine and sees no disk problems. I have used Acronis disk director to analyse the disk, and also Partition magic, and all come back with clean results. I have made no physical changes to the system, and cannot understand why it used top work, but doesn't now.

Any help would be great, cheers, Steve.

Nah, it's not this problem...I saw this thread before. I tried installing with the same DVD I had previously used that had worked and got this problem, it's definitely the disk drive, although I really can't understand why, as otherwise it's fine...I flashed the BIOS on the laptop just in case there was anything wrong, used various disk tools to format the drive, tried everything...the only thing I haven't tried is a different drive in the machine...

Cheers!

I had the same problem with the install routine whinging that I had a Serial-ATA-connected Hard Drive; and that I/O errors occured whatever I tried to do (e.g. repartition, etc).

The way I solved it was to take the HDD out of the D6000, put it into an external HDD enclosure and connect via USB.

Installed perfectly then with no issues.

Cheers

Simon