problem running as non-admin user

slinkygn

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

thanks for the great program!

I seem to have found a bug that is consistently replicable on my MBP, but I have no other machine to test it with.

I run Windows as a standard user (without administrator privileges) for security purposes.

When I try to log off or restart in the user account, the machine does nothing -- it returns me to the desktop without logging out.

I have tracked it down to the following: in Task Manager, there appear three instances of InputRemapper.x86.exe -- two owned by SYSTEM and one by the current user. If I start the Task Manager with /runas:Administrator and then kill the last of the three instances, the system proceeds in shutting down.

Any ideas?

What version of Windows are you running? I assume Windows XP. I have not tried running it as a limited user XP, only Vista.

So it works if you kill the one running as the limited user?

Yes, I'm sorry, I didn't specify. XP SP2.

And I kill one of the ones running as SYSTEM. I wasn't very clear on that either: of the three instances, the first one is running as the currently logged-in user, and the other two are running as SYSTEM. Of those two, the one that appears second (which IIRC is the one with the higher PID, or the one that began to execute last) is the one I have to terminate. I think this is part of the problem; I noticed that I can't simply go into Task Manager (as the limited user) and terminate the instance -- I have to use the runas command to impersonate the Admin user, and then I can terminate it.