Laptop Screen Resolution

NXArmada

17 posts in this topic

I have a Compaq Presario V4000 runing 10.4.8 Perfectly, except for Intel Wireless Card and I only have one Screen Resolution 1024x768 when the Monitors native is 1280x800 Which i would like to use. How can i get it working correctly.

Edited by NXArmada

Open Terminal. Then enter the following code:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.boot.plist

Enter your password when prompted. The file com.apple.boot.plist will open in nano, which is a UNIX text editor running in Terminal.

Between the flags '<dict> and </dict>, enter two new lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1200x800x32</string>

Hit Control-X to exit nano; when it asks to save, hit Y, Enter. Then reboot your computer. If done correctly, it will force the screen resolution to 1200x800 with 32-bit color. This is the easiest way to force a certain display resolution on boot when you can't select it in System Preferences.

Edited by ErBiC

I did that changed and rebooted. All is still the same.

[EDIT]Correction i did make the change. I made a wallpaper image comparing the 2 sizes and set it to center on the desktop options and it looks good fits the 1280x800 like i wanted. Thanks for the help man.

Edited by NXArmada

I booted linux and heres my Graphics specs.

Intel Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

Looks like i am mission all the Intel Graphic files in System/Library/Extensions This one in paticular and i can't seem to find where I can download it.

ApplleIntelI915.kext

Edited by NXArmada

Okay i got my displays to work correctly. I inserted the DVD and found the drive .pkg file and installed it and reset all the permissions now i have Native scren resolution of 1280x800 as well as Core and Quartz support. Thanks for the help.

Specs:

Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2592

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Enter your password when prompted. The file com.apple.boot.plist will open in nano, which is a UNIX text editor running in Terminal.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

Hit Control-X to exit nano; when it asks to save, hit Y, Enter. Then reboot your computer. If done correctly, it will force the screen resolution to 1200x800 with 32-bit color. This is the easiest way to force a certain display resolution on boot when you can't select it in System Preferences.

:( This really works, I can use it with a better native resolution and now I can wait for the 8600GTS driver.

Thanks man.

• 1 month later...

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

hmmm, tried exactly this, but wont work neither for Geforce 7400 Go no for Intel GMA 945...

In a other topic i readet, that i have to add

1280x800x32@60 ....

but this ends in a permanent rebooting circle...

btw: With the intel system hangs up with a panic screen, nvidia is booting@ 1024x768...

i just want u have my native resolution :)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

does this work only on Tiger or somebody was successful on Leopard too? I'm still stuck with 1024x768 in ToH's Leo and I would love to get my native 1280x800! Thanks for ANY answers!

P.S.: I have ATi x1600 Pro, QE / CI are working, but no res. change & mouse tearings :-(

• 3 weeks later...