Any luck on 945G (GMA 950)?

6 posts in this topic

I was building a new PC and was just wondering if anyone had any luck with the 945G chipset. From what I've seen, the GMA950 graphics that it has is mostly an updated GMA 900 with faster memory and all, but I'd guess ICH7 and other changes might cause problems.

Is it worth the potential problems or should I just get a 915 board?

Thank you. <_>

Moi

I was building a new PC and was just wondering if anyone had any luck with the 945G chipset.  From what I've seen, the GMA950 graphics that it has is mostly an updated GMA 900 with faster memory and all, but I'd guess ICH7 and other changes might cause problems.

Is it worth the potential problems or should I just get a 915 board?

Thank you. <_<

Moi

Using a fresh native install with SSE3 enabled, both Core or Quartz Extreme were disabled on a Dell 9100 (945p) & 5100 (945g). Also, although I had a Pentium D 820 (dual core) only 1 CPU was detected as well. And the Network ports were also disabled, can't remember what adapters these were, Intel PRO/100 I think.

Thanks, Kraven.

That sucks, though. I guess the changes are a bit more than skin deep...

Using a fresh native install with SSE3 enabled, both Core or Quartz Extreme were disabled on a Dell 9100 (945p) & 5100 (945g). Also, although I had a Pentium D 820 (dual core) only 1 CPU was detected as well. And the Network ports were also disabled, can't remember what adapters these were, Intel PRO/100 I think.

The dual core thing is odd... There are people using dual opteron boards fine, and I think even some 64X2 people. Can't remember if they were showing both CPUs I guess, just that they booted (which you did anyway).