Installing OS X86 on Acer 4150 notebook

MacDev

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have installed Mac OS X86 10.4.6 on two of my desktop PCs. And they are running fine! Now, I want to install it on my Acer 4150 notebook.

Here is the configuration of my notebook

P 4 1.73Ghtz

60 GB ATA/100 hard disk drive

256 DDR Ram

Intel® 915GM integrated 3D graphics

Realtek AC97 Sound Card

Now, the problem is, when I try to boot it from the notebooks DVD drive. It gives me the following error:

"System config file /com.apple.boot.plist not found"

Ok, I used the external USB DVD drive. But here is another problem. It boots from the DVD but just as it reaches to GUI phase. The blue color screens comes up as it is starting the installation but nothing happens.

Now, after some 10 trys I got the installation running. With all the intel patches I installed the OS X86 10.4.6 on my notebook.

But now when I boot it from my hard drive. Again, it boots from it and then just when it is about to start the GUI phase. It again stucked up! Showing me the blue color screen and nothing happens. I am not able to boot any further than that. I have tried boot options like -v -x /s. I am able to boot in single user mode on commad prompt. I can run scipts in shell but nothing more than that!!!

I think this is some hardware conflict! But want to know, what others think about that!

Thanks, MacDev

Hi,

You have a couple of choices here, you can either install JaS 10.4.8 toghether with GMA900 package which did not work in my case, I have an Acer 4101 by the way, or use a VGA dongle, basically a jumper cable connecting pin 6 to 12 of VGA connector...

Let me know if you make GMA900 working for you...

Hi Orion,

Certainly the problem is related to my VGA Hardware. Because when I connect an external monitor everything works absolutely fine!!! But the moment I disconnect the external monitor and reboot. It does the same hang-up thing again! And when I connect the external monitor it works fine. But when I try to launch the "About this Mac" it crashes the Finder. And when I launch the "System Information" it shows my VRAM as 246MB. Is it correct?

Please help!

Thanks, MacDev

Edited by MacDev

Shouldn't be a problem. The error just says that the file is not found, so he can not find your default boot-device. Press F8 and a menu should come up to give you the choice. I have got the same "problem" on my desktop here, after i reformated my ntfs-drives to hfs+.

Certainly the problem is related to my VGA Hardware. Because when I connect an external monitor everything works absolutely fine!!! But the moment I disconnect the external monitor and reboot. It does the same hang-up thing again! And when I connect the external monitor it works fine.

This is a common problem with the GMA900 graphics. Some laptops boot up fine w/o an external monitor, but the rest of us have to either plug in a monitor or create a dongle of some sort (like orion said).

As for your other problems, I don't know enough to help you with those.

Well Thanks everybody for your input! I have now successfully installed Mac OS X 10.4.6 on my Acer 4150 Laptop. And now it is running smoothly on my machine!!!

I just didn't installed SSE3 and GMA900 package on my lapi. And it is working fine. I still suspect that, my external monitor thing is not completely solved but it is working fine now. And if needed I will create a dongle.

Thanks again for your help!!!

MacDev

Edited by MacDev