need help with booting sata sil3114

MtheG

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to get my install on a sata hdd connected to an pci ad-in card (sil 3114)

I know that it cant be done direct from the install dvd 10.4.8.

I first installed 10.4.4 on a slowww pata drive wich went fine and upgraded to 10.4.8 jas reseed sse3.

System is stable but because of pata drive quit slow.

To get my sata drive working I modified the appleviaata.kext with my device id and the drive is working great.

More then 2 times faster!!

Next thing was to partition the drive to hfs+ with mbr and clone the pata install to the sata.

This went fine to and I made the partition active.

Untill now all went good but when I try to boot from the drive it start loading but gets stuck on "still waiting for root device"

I tried with boot flags like -f and -s but no luck.

I also used rd=disk0s1 method but it gives the same result (after disconecting the pata).

Then I booted from the pata again to see what fase the viaata is loaded and it seems that it loads the appleviaata driver after it has looked for the sata drive???

I just dont understand that the system start to boot from the sata drive and loads the drivers (wich goes to fast to read) and then that nasty still waiting...

I really need some good advise or cant it be done?

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have the same card (Sil3114) and was wondering what your device id and drive id was for your card?

I've got the same pci card and my id is as follows: 31141095

Many users add this numer into the AppleVIAATA plist, because the controller ist onboard. My installation does not contain any AppleVIAATA.kext file in teh extension folder. Does anybody know where I can place the ID instead? Or is it possible to use the VIATA kext file even if I dont have a via-chipset?

• 2 years later...

Hey can you help me figure this sata/raid add-in card out.

my motherboard has a SB750 southbridge

i have a add in 6 port sata card with a Sil 3114 Chipset (vantec 6 port if you Google it)

I was going to try to add this card to the AppleViaata.kext or maybe i can edit the AppleATIata.kext on my boot cd?? just need a pointer on how to get the vender and device. here is a screenshot i took in windows. Do i just add the device or do i need to list every port on that card? I have a raid0 set with 2 WD hard drives with Snow leopard installing and running on that card and also have a single 1000gb for data storage. i hope i got the right info in the screen shot. i am under Storage Controllers (other posts i have been reading people are looking at the ATA and IDE tab but all mine are SATA).

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDMtMjAxMDEwMjEtMjE0NS5qcGc.jpg

• 5 months later...