Dual Boot - 2 Hard Disks

Doogles

10 posts in this topic

I had a 40 GB drive with WinXP Pro installed. I removed it, and installed OSx86 to a 20 GB drive on the same machine - no problems, works great.

I reinstalled the 40GB XP drive as Master, and made the OSx drive slave.

I copied chain0 to C:\ (40GB XP) and added C:\chain0="OSx86" to boot.ini

If I choose to boot XP, it works fine. If I select OSx86, I get the "Hal.dll file missing" error.

If I make the OSx86 disk primary again, it boots just fine.

I do want XP as my primary boot with OSx86 secondary.

What should I do?

I had a 40 GB drive with WinXP Pro installed. I removed it, and installed OSx86 to a 20 GB drive on the same machine - no problems, works great.

I reinstalled the 40GB XP drive as Master, and made the OSx drive slave.

I copied chain0 to C:\ (40GB XP) and added C:\chain0="OSx86" to boot.ini

If I choose to boot XP, it works fine. If I select OSx86, I get the "Hal.dll file missing" error.

If I make the OSx86 disk primary again, it boots just fine.

I do want XP as my primary boot with OSx86 secondary.

What should I do?

If you don't want to add a free bootloader like Grub or Lilo you can boot XP via the Ultimate Boot CD with Gujin:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I wish my MB had the F8 option - but unfortunately it does not.

I have PowerQuest Partition Magic V8.0 with BootMagic but it can't be loaded on NTFS disks.

I guess I may just add Mandrake to the 40GB drive. I've used LILO for dual booting Linux and XP. Do I need to be aware of any tricks for using it to also boot OSx86 on a second drive? I want to make sure that it is possible before I spin my wheels some more...

Thanks!

If you don't want to add a free bootloader like Grub or Lilo you can boot XP via the Ultimate Boot CD with Gujin:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

I have used UBCD many times, but haven't used Gujin. Just to make sure I understand, Gujin wouldn't enable me to set up a permanent boot menu from which I could select XP or OSx86, correct? I'd have to boot all the way up with UBCD each time, right?

Thanks.

I wish my MB had the F8 option - but unfortunately it does not.

I have PowerQuest Partition Magic V8.0 with BootMagic but it can't be loaded on NTFS disks.

I guess I may just add Mandrake to the 40GB drive. I've used LILO for dual booting Linux and XP. Do I need to be aware of any tricks for using it to also boot OSx86 on a second drive? I want to make sure that it is possible before I spin my wheels some more...

Thanks!

I have used UBCD many times, but haven't used Gujin. Just to make sure I understand, Gujin wouldn't enable me to set up a permanent boot menu from which I could select XP or OSx86, correct? I'd have to boot all the way up with UBCD each time, right?

Thanks.

Yes, you will boot via the UBCD, if you want a bootloader in the mbr try Grub or Lilo (free).

Gujin is OK for booting quickly a XP without installing a bootloader or when the bootloader crashs.

If you use Gujin to boot a NTFS partition you need to enable "Write on partition" first" (click on setup).

P.S: By the way I will try later if Gujin can boot OSX86, I never tried it

i have read that it is impossible to use the NTLoader (chain0) method to boot OS X that is on a different drive.

(1 guy claims to have done it but i dont know where that thread is)

so you've got to use lilo, grub, acronis, boot magic, etc...

i installed in only 1 hard driver, but still get this problem, what's going on?