There Were Errors Installing the Software

waradmin

9 posts in this topic

I have tried to install this software twice and get the error after the installation that says:

There were errors installing the software

Please try installing again.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so are there any fixes. Im using the DVD Easy Install with a SSE2 P4.

Hey guys.

Yeah, I am installing on my desktop right now and am having the same problem. This was supposedly through a "Generic Install" DVD.

My board is a intel 865gbf w/ a geforce 5200...

Oh, and I was able to check out my Install Log.

BomFileError 5: Input/output error - /./System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/...classes.nib

Install failed: Some files for base system may not have been written correctly

What this tells me is there may be a problem with the DVD's or our DVD writers. Either/or. Anywho, I'm gonna give it another whirl, perhaps reburning the DVD may help to if you have an image on your PC!

Edit: Ok I've reburned and I still get this same error. I have also tried doing a custom install with and without printers and dev tools...

Tony

Here is what I did and i am able to boot to the OS i just need to use the DVD everytime i want to boot.

When the DVD boots it says press enter to install and press F8 to view advanced options. Then type in:

rd=disk0s1

I believe its df but you can type in ? to view the boot options. What your doing is selecting the disk you want to boot off of and the partition on that disk. In my case it was disk 0 (primary HD) and partition 1. Works for me. I cant get the bootloader to install, i assume thats what the problem is.

Hope this helps.

Sadly im not able to select a Startup device once im in the OS so i need to continue to boot off the DVD.

-Steve

http://www.open-server.org

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone else here using the Generic DVD for x86 encountered this yet? Any workarounds?

I have this problem too....: i have tried to install Mac OS from Generic DVD and during install I have obtained the same problem.

The problem seems related to the installation's write process so I have tried to change the dimension of the partition in which I have tried to install mac OS...increasing the partition dimension the error come out after!

I hope this can help to solve the problem!

hi to all

fabio

• 2 weeks later...
I hope this can help to solve the problem!

I tried this with two different partitions sizes and it fails the same way each time. It doesnt always fail at the same point either.

I was told on IRC that this is a bad DVD-R problem, but the DVD-R passes the media check part of the install process....wtf?

So I tried another DVD-R, and lo and behold, it installed perfectly.

Make sure that your DVR-R is 'not {censored}', and this problem shoud go away.

• 3 weeks later...

I have encountered this error trying to upgrade a working 10.4.1 installation to 8f1099. I verified the checksum of my ISO file before patching, and I burned it to an Imation DVD-R on a G5 using the Disk Utility. I let the installer check my DVD and it didn't say there were any errors. I've tried installing twice.

Should I just go and try to burn the DVD again? Any other ideas?

An update: I decided to try installing from the DVD a third time. It went farther than before - and then hung at "Runinng Installer Script, 16 minutes remaining" for over 20 minutes until I restarted. So it's clearly some sort of flaky problem. Again, I've deselected the language packs and printer drivers, so there's only 200-some megabytes that it says it needs to install.

My own CD-RW/DVD drives creates tons of weird noises and never seems to get past the gray screen (or maybe I didn't give it enough time). So I have been using my roommate's drive (we all have the same computers through a college deal) which makes more subdued but still weird noises with the disc, and does get to the installer.

Another update: I tried doing a fresh install with the same DVD, and it worked! At least, the install procedure went smoothly and finished without errors, though now I get a kernel panic when trying to boot. 5+ tries to upgrade crashed or hung, but selecting "Erase and Install" worked. Wow.