flashing ATI BIOS?

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried flashing the BIOS of their video card, and confirmed that it works under OS X? I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro that doesn't provide any acceleration... but it would be worth flashing, if it works.

If you flash a card, can it be flashed back?

Justin

Oh my gosh... what immaturity. Can you try speaking with some respect?

I read every single post that contained the keyword "BIOS" in it. There was ONE other halfway relevent post (which you just responded to) that had conflicting answers in it.

Don't post here unless you're gonna be helpful....

I dunno if flashing would help. I have a feeling that if you flashed it, it wouldn't work in your PC anymore. The Mac bios isn't there to make it play nice with the OS, it's there to have it play nice with the firmware Apple computers use.

I think that's why the Mac Radeon I have doesn't work at all.

However, I'm not expert. I'm probably wrong. If anyone has any more information it would be nice to hear.

Has anyone tried flashing the BIOS of their video card, and confirmed that it works under OS X? I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro that doesn't provide any acceleration... but it would be worth flashing, if it works.

If you flash a card, can it be flashed back?

Justin

I am unsure if it will work or not... but I have had success a few years ago bringing back a batch of faulty matrox AGP cards with a faulty flash (will not boot... standard video card beepity beep beep) with around 95% success over about 30 or so cards.

The way I got it to flash was to use a cheap pci video card to boot and then use the flash utility to flash the faulty hardware.

I am not by any means saying that you should re-flash your video card (it will void warranty etc) this may work for re-flashing a bad flash dump to some video cards... but its worth a shot if its your last resort.

A couple of sites to go to for mac video rom's and info are;

www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

http://strangedogs.proboards40.com/ <--- ignore the first couple of forums as they are dog related... :D

Don't know if this is any help... but i am assuming more helpful then one of the posts you received.

Let me know how you go as we are all waiting with baited breath on who will be the 1st to hack the video problem...