vlc resource hog

williedigital

8 posts in this topic

on my gma900 system playing an h264 file in a window takes almost the entire cpu! it's a 3ghz celeron d.

Running windows on the same machine and playing the file through vlc it's like 15%. It doesn't even max out the cpu on my 1.5ghz mini. Just curious if it's something to do with the poor quality of some component within the osx86 release or the translaed app.

yes i was using the universal, but it seems vlc itself isnt the problem. no matter what program i use to play these files in osx86 (vlc, mplayer, quicktime) they all give nearly the same cpu readings, which like i said, seem way too high for a machine of this spec. Maybe that means something about the osx86 internals isnt running as well as it should. for example, playing a file in quicktime 7 in osx86 give about a 90% cpu reading, and playing the same file on the same machine under windows in quicktime 7 gives about 25% cpu reading. and from what i understand, the windows implementation of quicktime is much worse than the osx one.

yes i was using the universal, but it seems vlc itself isnt the problem. no matter what program i use to play these files in osx86 (vlc, mplayer, quicktime) they all give nearly the same cpu readings, which like i said, seem way too high for a machine of this spec. Maybe that means something about the osx86 internals isnt running as well as it should. for example, playing a file in quicktime 7 in osx86 give about a 90% cpu reading, and playing the same file on the same machine under windows in quicktime 7 gives about 25% cpu reading. and from what i understand, the windows implementation of quicktime is much worse than the osx one.

it sounds like you might have used the pre-patched image to install... because you have a sse3 cpu you should revert to the originals (except oah750d)... maxxus' latest patch had the original files...

if you've already done this, ignore me =)

on my gma900 system playing an h264 file in a window takes almost the entire cpu! it's a 3ghz celeron d.

Dell 700M 1.6Ghz Pent-M, 1.25Gb DDR, Intel 855GME/ICH4-M, QE enabled, noCI, OSX86 native, Generic Release1 install

Using 0924 x86 VLC and patchburn4 (probably doesn't matter):

This file played with 50 to 60% CPU usage:

http://mac.sillydog.org/qt/mov/dashboard01_mpeg4_h264.mp4

http://mac.sillydog.org/qt/compare.php

QT7 doesn't play this file BTW on this system, the video is rendered as blank white screen with no error.

@williedigital

On another setup with 2.8Ghz CeleronD Asrock 775dual (GMA900; QE & CI), Generic Release 1, Maxxus 0.5c patched:

Only about 14 to 21 %CPU usage using the same h264 mp4 file as the url above with VLC x86 0924

Memory: 1016 MB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: P1.20 (American Megatrends Inc.)

I would think the Maxxus 0.5c patch as Melchoir suggested earlier is in order.