10.4.6 to 10.4.8 - lost my Intel PCI NIC

DuneDevil

6 posts in this topic

I've searched both the wiki and this forum for about 2 hours now, but I cant find a solution.

My Intel pro 100 NIC worked great under 10.4.6. Today I formated and installed 10.4.8, but I cant get the NIC to work. In the "about this apple". The NIC dosent show up in PCI devices.

I checked the IONetworkingfamily.kext, my device ID is listed (0x12298086).

I then assumed that the problem was IOPCIFamily.kext. I replaced it with a file I found on this forum (I cant find the link now- I think it was 10.4.5). I then did all the chown , chmod, disk tools... Still no help.

Am I looking in the right place as far as kext files?

Thanks in advance, sorry if I just didnt find the right thread...

I've searched both the wiki and this forum for about 2 hours now, but I cant find a solution.

My Intel pro 100 NIC worked great under 10.4.6. Today I formated and installed 10.4.8, but I cant get the NIC to work. In the "about this apple". The NIC dosent show up in PCI devices.

I then assumed that the problem was IOPCIFamily.kext. I replaced it with a file I found on this forum (I cant find the link now- I think it was 10.4.5). I then did all the chown , chmod, disk tools... Still no help.

The intel pro 100 pci nics are supported in 10.4.8, i too did a fresh format and installed 10.4.8 (jas reseed) but my card was detected and worked without a hitch.

But it also does not show up under PCI devices for some reason, but I do have a connection.

I have heard you could take old kext files from 10.4.6 and replace them on your 10.4.8 system, but you should have to do that for the intel pro 100 cards, thats the entire reason i got mine. I wanted to get everything as close to working "out of the box" as i could. you might try swapping it for a new card?

The intel pro 100 pci nics are supported in 10.4.8, i too did a fresh format and installed 10.4.8 (jas reseed) but my card was detected and worked without a hitch.

But it also does not show up under PCI devices for some reason, but I do have a connection.

I have heard you could take old kext files from 10.4.6 and replace them on your 10.4.8 system, but you should have to do that for the intel pro 100 cards, thats the entire reason i got mine. I wanted to get everything as close to working "out of the box" as i could. you might try swapping it for a new card?

Thanks for the reply.

I tried replacing it with a different intel pro 100 card (different device ID), and also with a netgear card... none were detected. I'm running an ASROCK 393Dual motherboard (ULI chipset). I think that is adding to my difficulties.

I formated and reinstalled 10.4.6, NIC works great. I then saved all the kext files to an external HDD and reinstalled 10.4.8. I plan on carefully examining the differences in the kext files and repair/replacing the .8 kexts with the .6 kexts.

Does any one have any tips where I should begin looking? IONetworking.kext seems to have my card's ID, so should I start on IOFamily.kext (I write this from work on my PC, forgive my memory...)? I assume I need to get the card to show up in the PCI bus...

So last night I installed 4.8. I filled my removable HDD with all the 10.4.6 kext files (from a previous install). I then dumped all the .6 kexts into the .8 /System/Library/Extensions directory. That was a bad idea. :)

Kernel Panic

I knew better than this, but I was tired and got sloppy.

I guess I'll read up on the forum more, and try to figure out if it is better to install .8 and then update kext files, or install .6 and try to update...

So last night I installed 4.8. I filled my removable HDD with all the 10.4.6 kext files (from a previous install). I then dumped all the .6 kexts into the .8 /System/Library/Extensions directory. That was a bad idea. :)

Kernel Panic

I knew better than this, but I was tired and got sloppy.

I guess I'll read up on the forum more, and try to figure out if it is better to install .8 and then update kext files, or install .6 and try to update...

What about http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...24&hl=intel

There is another link on that page to further instructions.

Might give it a shot after your .8 install.

I have my Intel NIC working in 10.4.8. I did the JaS .6 DVD, then found the JaS .8 AMD SSE3 update. It took a good ammount of looking, but I found it. Now I just need to update the kernel from 8.4.1 and I'll be rockin'! (BTW, the Intel NIC is showing up in the PCI device list now...)

Edited by DuneDevil