Keyboard not working on Win XP logon

vEmpire

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have had the latest version of IR installed for some time now and it worked perfectly... But, as of yesterday the fn+ctrl+alt+backspace combination is not being recognized at Win XP Pro logon. So no more Win XP logon...

Has anyone have this problem before?

I have put back a copy of the "Apple Keyboard Support" map, back to the Windows volume but it did not help. Is there a way to let Win XP use the "standard" Apple key mapping?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vEmpire

Hi all,

I have had the latest version of IR installed for some time now and it worked perfectly... But, as of yesterday the fn+ctrl+alt+backspace combination is not being recognized at Win XP Pro logon. So no more Win XP logon...

Has anyone have this problem before?

I have put back a copy of the "Apple Keyboard Support" map, back to the Windows volume but it did not help. Is there a way to let Win XP use the "standard" Apple key mapping?

Thanks in advance.

Does keyboard backlight and other support still work? If not you could try running the keyborad wizard and press ok in it to reset the configuration.

The keyboard might also be completly dead. If it is something might have broken the driver. Booting the bootcamp partition from Paralells have been known to cause this (I don't think it's related to Input Remapper).

Edited by Beliyaal

Thank you for you swift reply Beliyaal.

I don't know if the backlight and the other support still works, as I can not login into Win Xp. The keyboard is working fine within Mac OS X... Is there anything I could change on the Windows volume that could force Windows to bypass IR on Win XP logon?

I forgot to mention that I am on a MacBook Pro...

Thanks again.

Edited by vEmpire

The easiest way to debug this would be to use an external keyboard to press ctrl+alt+delete and log in that way. You cannot stop Input Remapper from running in any easy way. It also wouldn't help because you need to install the apple keyboard drivers to make ctrl+alt+delete work (renaming the folder is not enough).

The backlight etc all work from the login prompt with Input Remapper so if it's not working there Input Remapper isn't working.

If your Settings.dat file is smaller than 1 KB it has probably been reset to the default configuration. If you don't have an external keyboard you could try copying MacBookPro.dat in the Input Remapper folder to Settings.dat. It might not work though because I think that the backspace key isn't bound in that file. I'm not at home at the moment so I don't have access to a MacBook, when I get home I can upload a working Settings.dat that you can try copying to your installation.

I will try copying the MacBookPro.dat and let you know what happens. By the way, my Settings.dat file is 4kb at the moment, but I would be very happy if you could upload an another one for me to try that possibility too... thanks in advance.

No external USB keyboard around I am afraid... I am planing to get one at the office tomorrow thou if the problem persists.

Thanks again.

I booted with a BartPE CD (as Win XP is running on NTFS) and copied the MacBookPro.dat to Setting.dat as you suggested... and SUCCESS! The fn+ctrl+alt+Backspace is working again! I suppose the Settings.dat file was corrupt after all...

Thank you for your great help Beliyaal!

Cheers,

vEmpire

P.S.

The size of the Settings.dat file was 4kb in Mac OS, but BartPE showed a 1kb size...

Edited by vEmpire

• 1 year later...