ATI Radeon Mobility 9600

13 posts in this topic

Has anybody had any success running an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, without having to use the -x trick or even using a different resolution from 1024x768??

If you delete the ATI* kexts you don't need to use Safe Boot Option (-x).

Yup, I just deleted those files before I read your reply. Lots more stuff (sound/power management) started working when I booted without the -x. I hope someone figures out soon how to use 1280x800 since it looks pretty bad stretched out on my laptop screen. Just my luck I have a via rhine II nic (on the unsupported list). BTW I have an eMachine m6805 AMD Mobile 64 3000+ w/ ATI Radeon Mobility 9600. I was thinking since my WiFi card is Broadcom, weren't the Airport cards broadcom based at one point?

Thanks

Yup, I just deleted those files before I read your reply.  Lots more stuff (sound/power management) started working when I booted without the -x.  I hope someone figures out soon how to use 1280x800 since it looks pretty bad stretched out on my laptop screen.  Just my luck I have a via rhine II nic (on the unsupported list).  BTW I have an eMachine m6805 AMD Mobile 64 3000+ w/ ATI Radeon Mobility 9600. I was thinking since my WiFi card is Broadcom, weren't the Airport cards broadcom based at one point?

Thanks

When your machine starts to boot, press enter to get boot options. Then type "?video" for supported resolutions. If you see one that you'd like to switch to, type "Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" or whatever resolution you want.

Yup, I just deleted those files before I read your reply.  Lots more stuff (sound/power management) started working when I booted without the -x.  I hope someone figures out soon how to use 1280x800 since it looks pretty bad stretched out on my laptop screen.  Just my luck I have a via rhine II nic (on the unsupported list).  BTW I have an eMachine m6805 AMD Mobile 64 3000+ w/ ATI Radeon Mobility 9600. I was thinking since my WiFi card is Broadcom, weren't the Airport cards broadcom based at one point?

Thanks

Where are the files located, what do I delete? I have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

Where are the files located, what do I delete? I have an ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

They are in /System/Library/Extensions

I removed all ATI*-files, so no SAFEBOOT anymore.

@jwilsie:

Seems we got a very similiar Notebook, mine is a Targa Visionary 811A.

The 1280x800 resultions isnt support. Looks really uggly this stretched screen.

If you got any success with the VIA RHINE II please tell me!

What about the sound, any problemes?! I have a VIA VT8235 and sound on the left channel only!

Well, upon further inspection, my sound is only coming out of the left speaker as well.

I guess thats better than no sounds at all. I did the ?video thing, no widescreen resolutions until the 1400x? that my laptop will not support.

Good thing im triple booting and I can still boot into windows or linux, yet I can't wait for the day that this thing is fully usable in OSX

Anybody given any thought to trying to port the NDISWrapper to OSX86?

I have the same machine (m6805).

I have internet through the firewire right now.

My audio only works on the left channel and is a little shaky.

Itunes runs now, I can load the DVD player but no playback.

Doesn't crash anymore.

Using:

dd of tiger-x86-flat.img

Removed ATI Drivers

Maxxus Patches (CG libSys mach_kernel (v0.2))

• 2 weeks later...

M6805 here as well. Sounds like I'm at about the same point as the rest of you. I tried the broadcom patch listed on a different thread in the hopes I could get the wireless working. All I get is a "bus error". Same resolution problem with the screen. I haven't tried firewire networking but it looks like it would work. I really need the RhineII or the Broadcom to work. I could live with the stretched screen.

There are two threads on this same topic within a few posts of each other...

I was under the impression that VESA didn't even have any widescreen modes in its specifications, unfortunately. I just looked at vesa.org and they aren't even listing higher resolutions for whatever reason.

My recommendation is to set your LCD to just fit to aspect ratio if you have that option. Mine has that option... So at 1680x1050, I can run at 1400x1050 and just have some small black bars on the right and left. I find it less annoying than stretching...however I realise not every laptop or LCD panel has this option.