Opencore bootpicker - how fussy?

mengshi

3 posts in this topic

I’m using OpenCore MOD in order to boot into either Windows or Ventura. It is working great. 

I understand that Mac has some compatibility issues when it comes to NVME (I’m using WD - no issues). However I was wondering how particular about NVME compatibility is bootpicker? Is it a non-issue?

reason I ask is that my Hackintosh Thinkpad T480s has a secondary slot into which I can plug another NVME. Been thinking of installing Windows on this and some of these 2242 or 2230 NVME can be non-Mac compatible brands. Will these cause problem if I use these for Windows/Linux? (Probably a good thing if DiskUtil cannot see it methinks). 

@mengshi Here's some info for you: read this and this.  In my personal experience, any hack running macOS with Open Core boot loader performs best when NVMe SSDs are in the Dortania compatibility list (even if some SSDs are not used for macOS).  I have one hack that throws SSD errors in macOS when other "incompatible" SSDs are installed in the hack (even if the other SSDs are not used by / for macOS).  Also, I like using only SSDs in the compatibility list, since I can interchange them if I need to.

EDIT: Note that this use of all "compatible" NVMe SSDs is just my preference / opinion.  I've seen others who mix "compatible" and "incompatible" SSDs in the same system.

Edited by deeveedee