OCLP - Fix Broadcom WiFi in macOS Sonoma Hackintosh Problem

Nismo350z

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I tried to get BCM4331 to work at Sonoma. I did tried to patch using OCLP but without luck. No idea what I did wrong here, maybe I need fake ID for 4331?

image.thumb.png.46a29dc478ff42da347ebe89a5e443d0.png

My setup:

Mobo: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING

CPU: Intel i7-4770K

RX 580 2048sp flashed to RX 570

BCM4331 on PCI-E

Setup: iMacPro1,1

macOS Sonoma 14.1

Anyone can suggest a cheap alternative which will work at Sonoma? BCM943602CS?

As a new user can't post here 

config.plist

@Nismo350z

Pleas add a signature to your user profile.

You have AMFI.Pass.kext and amfi=0x80, have one or the other, not both at the same time (amfi=0x80 has precedence).

You have corecaptureElCap.kext and IO80211ElCap.kext, OCLP instructions about wifi dropped in Sonoma refer to IOSkywalk.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext (plugin of IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext), these kexts are from Ventura (I guess) and are included in the OCLP package but they can also be downloaded from the OCLP GitHub repo.

Maybe you can try removing corecaptureElCap.kext and IO80211ElCap.kext and adding the kexts following exactly OCLP instructions (go to Hackintosh Notes >> Enabling Patching support for modern Broadcom Cards (Click to Expand)).

Edited by miliuco

On 12/25/2023 at 2:18 PM, miliuco said:

@Nismo350z

Pleas add a signature to your user profile.

You have AMFI.Pass.kext and amfi=0x80, have one or the other, not both at the same time (amfi=0x80 has precedence).

You have corecaptureElCap.kext and IO80211ElCap.kext, OCLP instructions about wifi dropped in Sonoma refer to IOSkywalk.kext, IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext and AirPortBrcmNIC.kext (plugin of IO80211FamilyLegacy.kext), these kexts are from Ventura (I guess) and are included in the OCLP package but they can also be downloaded from the OCLP GitHub repo.

Maybe you can try removing corecaptureElCap.kext and IO80211ElCap.kext and adding the kexts following exactly OCLP instructions (go to Hackintosh Notes >> Enabling Patching support for modern Broadcom Cards (Click to Expand)).

I think I tried everything and still it doesn't work as it should. No idea what is wrong.

I decided to check exactly what kind of model of BCM I have and it turns out it's not 4331 but 94331CSAC.

So according to the guide, I revert the patch, applied the changes as in the guide, patched and still nothing.

Jmyrkjh.jpg

The last thing I could think of would be to format and install again the OS.

I honestly don't know anymore what could be wrong.
I also tested if the adapter or card is working properly and it turns out it does. I installed some Lenovo WiFi driver and I have fully working WiFi on Win10 x64 so that means that setup works just fine.

config.plist.zip

Try to add AirportBrcmFixup.kext

Make sure enable AirportBrcmFixup.kext  then the Plugins AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext

I really dont know if this card is support in the new macOS 11, 12, 13, 14 ?

AirportBrcmFixup.kext.zip

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>ExecutablePath</key>
				<string>Contents/MacOS/AirportBrcmFixup</string>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
				<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<string></string>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
			</dict>

@Nismo350z

Let me share with you my learning on Hackintosch up to now, the generic methods to make it work are:

1. use Apple components ( to avoid 2)
  2. use patch to load 3rd party kext(driver)

But because Apple seems get more and more stringent on macOS/File System integrity, S/L/E is not editable/accessible, thus method Nr. 2 is getting very difficult. Although via preloading EFI/kext or BIOS/parameters could still work, these would need thankfully the community experts or knowledgeable enthusiasts' contribution and sharing. In order to build up a more solid & sustainable community user base, I would call up everyone to share their learning and knowledge more actively.

For your case, you are trying method 1. Yet you have to check if macOS/Sonoma, the chipset BCM94331CSAC STILL supported.

I found out BCM94331CSAC was used in Model A1398, which dated to 2012. To find out exactly whether the driver still exist in Sonoma, you have to go to /S/L/E and check (which is the same methodology for graphics card to boot).

I don't have Sonoma installed yet, but I found these kexts in Monterey may be relevant, next step is to check info.plist the listing PID/VID whether yours is in the list. Now this is exactly the fun of Hacking 🙂

Hope you could come back share your findings.🤝

Screenshot2023-12-31at10_31_49.png.344188ac922bcfd5a554ec10921ce845.png

PS: why I cannot resize the picture?

Edited by Ravenstein
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Make sure enable AirportBrcmFixup.kext  then the Plugins AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext

AirportBrcmFixup.kext.zip 18.53 kB · 1 download

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<string>AirportBrcmFixup.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcmNIC_Injector.kext</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<string></string>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
			</dict>

Hey Chris,

I did it as you wrote. First I revert the old patch, applied new Kext in right order and then patch it. But that didn't work out.

Screenshot2023-12-31at17_06_22.png.21333b6676384e7fd11f278b30befaee.png

The maximum OS for that MacBook model with that network card was 10.15 Catalina @Slice

6 hours ago, Ravenstein said:

@Nismo350z

Let me share with you my learning on Hackintosch up to now, the generic methods to make it work are:

1. use Apple components ( to avoid 2)
  2. use patch to load 3rd party kext(driver)

But because Apple seems get more and more stringent on macOS/File System integrity, S/L/E is not editable/accessible, thus method Nr. 2 is getting very difficult. Although via preloading EFI/kext or BIOS/parameters could still work, these would need thankfully the community experts or knowledgeable enthusiasts' contribution and sharing. In order to build up a more solid & sustainable community user base, I would call up everyone to share their learning and knowledge more actively.

For your case, you are trying method 1. Yet you have to check if macOS/Sonoma, the chipset BCM94331CSAC STILL supported.

I found out BCM94331CSAC was used in Model A1398, which dated to 2012. To find out exactly whether the driver still exist in Sonoma, you have to go to /S/L/E and check (which is the same methodology for graphics card to boot).

I don't have Sonoma installed yet, but I found these kexts in Monterey may be relevant, next step is to check info.plist the listing PID/VID whether yours is in the list. Now this is exactly the fun of Hacking 🙂

Hope you could come back share your findings.🤝

Screenshot2023-12-31at10_31_49.png.344188ac922bcfd5a554ec10921ce845.png

PS: why I cannot resize the picture?

I guess I should look for legacy kext from Catalina? 

Currently BCM943224, BCM94331, BCM94360 and BCM943602 are still fully supported by OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Consider upgrading to these cards if possible.

I was mostly basing on the kexts from here:

https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/tree/e21efa975c0cf228cb36e81a974bc6b4c27c7807/payloads/Kexts/Wifi

On 12/31/2023 at 3:39 AM, chris1111 said:

AirportBrcmFixup.kext.zip 18.53 kB · 2 downloads

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<string></string>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
			</dict>

I think the last chance for me is to see if the whole thing is working is going to Catalina and see if it works by native support. I'm out of options, don't know what else could be missing.

On 12/31/2023 at 8:57 AM, Slice said:

Anybody remember in what latest macOS the BCRM9331 worked? ElCapitan? 

It works on Catalina, no patching. I just installed in on fresh drive, and Wi-Fi works as it should be. Just a strange thing that in Hackintool PCI e tab it shows as disabled.

So what should I do as the next steps? Try to use OCLP and from there move to Sonoma? Any tips?

Screenshot2024-01-05at18_25_10.thumb.png.08502ea284869e6aa450e4be109e86df.png

• 3 months later...