Opencore Picker

andreew75

10 posts in this topic

Hello friends,
I have a cosmetic issue when booting Opencore.
Every time you boot Opencore, there are huge icons in the picker menu (image 1), while the system does not boot, but goes into reboot and only then the picker becomes normal (image 2). During any reboot, the picker always has normal icons, and after shutdown the computer and start after some time, the picker again has huge icons.
Bios has been updated to the latest version. I have attached my EFI folder.
I would be grateful for any advice.

Asus Tuf Gaming Z590 Plus

Intel Core I7-11700K

AMD Radeon RX6600 Pulse

img 1.jpg

img 2.jpg

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Hi, this could be a setting in the BIOS. I think it is CSM, it needs to be either Enable or Disable.

Forgive me if I am wrong, hopefully someone will correct my assumption and point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, miliuco said:

@andreew75

I can't boot macOS with CSM enabled. Even NVRAM must be cleared and BIOS must be reset to be able to boot again.

Hi Bro, I don't know how much this info will help but on my MSI Z490, this is the setting in the BIOS.

BIOS CSM/UEFI Mode=UEFI.

With this explanation side Note: On Board Graphics VBIOS is not supported in CSM Mode. "The BIOS CSM/UEFI Mode Setting

in the BIOS will be changed to UEFI.

Hope it makes some sense in some way, my old brain translates it as 'gobble-de-gook'. :D

• Like 1

@eSaF

Your old brain works perfectly 😉
OpenCore Dortania's guide recommended disabling CSM in BIOS. CSM is supposed to be a legacy setting that older motherboards have and was the way to boot Windows 7. Its alternative is UEFI.
However I see that some systems can (or even need to) boot with CSM enabled.
This is not my case since with CSM activated macOS does not boot.
You have BIOS CSM/UEFI Mode=UEFI, my understanding is that CSM is disabled and UEFI is enabled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can boot my first computer with or without CSM enabled in BIOS and see no differences. I just see more options in F12 boot choose menu.

There is a question about starting Sonoma after legacy boot. I still not tested this.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

...a little late to the subject...but, while in bios I enabled CSM (after always having it disabled) reboot and get various  screen resolutions thru the boot process...ie: low res for bios, 1920x1080p@60 for Clover and apple boot screen ...then 3840x2180p@60  at login screen...I only mention this because Clover boot menu used to be 7xxx X2160p, a strange resolution

any how...Slice said he saw no difference...this is one difference, for me(perhaps Csm enabled allows bios to read legacy vbios of gfx card)

...as to why I Enabled CSM, it was to check if any change with my video card(RX 570 8GB.)

...still testing