I need advice what to do with older Mavericks build, built in 2013

dolphans1

27 posts in this topic

Hello Group, I have not posted in a long time and need some advice on possibly upgrading.

I am posting the stats of my 2013 build primarily for documentation and for educational.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP (rev.1) Haswell 4th generation Interl i7

Processor  3.89 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory  16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1024 MB
Serial Number  C02KV319F7JC
Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F1911)

I want to see if I can upgrade my PC to a newer OSX version, for which you might be able to recommend that may work on my older build.

Only reason I need to do this is because none of my older browsers will no longer install on my Mavericks build and I am have compatibility issues  with my work web-browser accessing their site. I get a message submit form trying to validate authentication and the website page is totally white.

That's the only reason I am looking to upgrade.

I have had this OSX Mavericks build for 10 years and I am happy with it, other than no support for browers running on Mavericks (Chrome65.0.3325, Firefox 78.0,
Safari Version 9.1.3 (9537.86.7.8).)

Thanks,

d-1

Screen Shot 2023-11-05 at 6.21.19 PM.png

Edited by dolphans1
typo

Did you try the software update to see what, if anything it would give you?

sudo softwareupdate -l  in terminal.

Make sure you have a SMBIOS for the highest version your hardware supports.

41 minutes ago, mek21 said:

iMac14,2 will be the best choice. It contains Nvidia Kepler.

@dolphans1,

You also need latest bootloader Clover or Opencore. Old one will not boot BigSur. Yes, it is the latest system for Kepler.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mek21 said:

I haven't tried that for fear what it might do, the only issue I am having with this build is with the older browsers running on Mavericks 10.9.5 which are no longer supported for upgrades on Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari, I am trying to take the path of least resistance to possibly avoid spending hours doing a new install on an older PC build. If I run that command, will it corrupt my EFI bootloader?

Thanks,

d-1

Edited by dolphans1

lspci command -

Last login: Mon Nov  6 11:30:37 on ttys000
unknown94de807b2c0f:~ sammy$ lspci
pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
pcilib: 0000:01:00.0 64-bit device address ignored.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 153b (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev d4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev d4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Unknown device 0fc6 (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation Unknown device 0e1b (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor (rev 01)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 41)
unknown94de807b2c0f:~ sammy$

20 hours ago, mek21 said:

I ran it and got this message, unfortunately, Apple doesn't support older OSX's

Last login: Tue Nov  7 05:34:41 on console
unknown94de807b2c0f:~ sammy$ sudo softwareupdate -l  in terminal
Password:
Software Update Tool
Copyright 2002-2012 Apple Inc.

Finding available software
No new software available.

On 11/7/2023 at 7:10 AM, HmO said:

@dolphans1 I made for you the OpenCore bootloader, version 0.9.6
Copy EFI folder to the USB flash drive (Fat32) and boot the system, after you can already update

EFI.zip 6.15 MB · 0 downloads

@HmO - I am not quite following or understanding exactly what you are saying. I am by no means an expert builder, are you saying create a new USB flash drive and insert my EFI made bootloader formated, insert my EFI folder into it a new USB and boot from the Fat32 formatted USB drive? I could not load all the contents of EFI folder on here because it said it was 10MB's too large and omitted some of the contents.

I built this Mavericks 10.95 build 10 years ago and I believe I used clover and no longer have that USB.

Thanks

d-1

Edited by dolphans1
Typos clean up files

@HmO

Last login: Tue Nov  7 06:44:22 on ttys000
unknown94de807b2c0f:~ sammy$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Maverick10.9            119.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Mac WDC 2TB Storage     2.0 TB     disk1s2

1 hour ago, dolphans1 said:

@HmO boy, there's a lot of information on there to go through, I'm still quite not sure what to do.

I have already written what to do, we format the USB flash drive in FAT32, then you copy the EFI folder that I gave above and load your system 10.9, after the flash drive can already be updated to Big Sur using my booter

5 hours ago, dolphans1 said:

@HmO boy, there's a lot of information on there to go through, I'm still quite not sure what to do.

There are many tutorials on our forum. Why we should repeat them?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HmO said:

I have already written what to do, we format the USB flash drive in FAT32, then you copy the EFI folder that I gave above and load your system 10.9, after the flash drive can already be updated to Big Sur using my booter

Here is what I understand I format, the USB thumb, drive to fat 32 and copy over the EFI folder onto the same USB, from there I boot my PC with a USB that has open core on it and run the update? In the terminal and run install? 

3 hours ago, dolphans1 said:

Here is what I understand I format, the USB thumb, drive to fat 32 and copy over the EFI folder onto the same USB, from there I boot my PC with a USB that has open core on it and run the update? In the terminal and run install? 

Yes that's right

@dolphans1 New EFI folder, fix smbios

EFI-IM17,1.zip

@HmO here's what I see from your last file you sent in a zip drive sent to me down below, it's what it looks like to me when I open it. I want to make sure I do the steps in correct order because it gets confusing trying to wrap my mind around it visually, for the very first time doing this OpenCore.

I buy a 16GB USB and format to Fat32, drag/copy  these file items into my newly formatted Fat32 USB and then boot into my Mavericks PC using that newly created USB, and then from there, I run these commands sudo softwareupdate -l inside from my terminal to update OSX ?

I forget what I actually do to fix/change the SMBIOS ? its been that long.

Thanks HmO

EFI_Screen Shot 2023-11-08 at 3.25.17 AM.png

@HmO An issue I am having is when I try and drag the Big Sur .dmg into USB, it fails because of it size for Fat32 , do I leave it in a folder on Mavericks or do I reformat the USB stick?

Also, I tried booting from the USB stick without Big Sur loaded in it, but my PC does not see it and I tried playing around in BIOS and could not see if I could change.

Thanks for your support and help

d-1

11 minutes ago, dolphans1 said:

@HmO An issue I am having is when I try and drag the Big Sur .dmg into USB, it fails because of it size for Fat32 , do I leave it in a folder on Mavericks or do I reformat the USB stick?

Also, I tried booting from the USB stick without Big Sur loaded in it, but my PC does not see it and I tried playing around in BIOS and could not see if I could change.

Thanks for your support and help

d-1

Create a bootable installer for macOS

@HmO I don't quiet follow, what about the EFI and OpenCore files in the Fat32 USB stick ? I can't not see in my head how this works or what I am supposed to do exactly with each proper step and in proper order.

I found an older USB stick with Big Sur on it and when I double click on it, it wants to install over top of Mavericks. but I installed Maverick on here using my Hack installer and clover a long time ago.

I read this - to create a bootable Big Sur USB

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

anyway I can call you on my whatsup app ?

@HmO -

I downloaded Telegram but its not compatible with Mavericks. I get the International NO sign when I try to slide  Telegram into applications

can I give you my number ? I'm in the USA?

21 minutes ago, HmO said:

I do not have WhatsApp

what's app is an app on iPhone app for making free International calls