Scan Policy Not Doing It's Job on 0.9.4 DEV OpenCore-MOD No ACPI

makk

8 posts in this topic

Hi - I don't know if I am interpreting your post correctly but for Custom Entries you need to find the correct path of the particular drive using Shell and put the relevant information in the config.plist (like my example shown) then in Scan Policy enter 2687747 or the appropriate data.

There are some useful Guides how to do the process in Terminal to find the correct path for the Windows Drive/Drives, @miliuco did quite an extensive Guide how it is done, use Google to find the How to.

PS - Don't use the Drive Path data in my example as it is for my system only, you have to find your own which will be different.

Spoiler

1507369672_Screenshot2023-07-14at05_58_32.thumb.png.0a42555af4b0b4ac4c742021139d1acb.png

14061120.png

14061123.png

Edited by eSaF
  • Like 1

"Scanpolicy has avdverse effects" is not a very helpful problem description.

There's an online app for calculating ScanPolicy: https://oc-scanpolicy.vercel.app/

If this doesn't work, the fix is getting your SSDT tables in order so that they are acpi-compliant and will work with both macOS and Windows! Because then you don't need modded 3rd party versions of OpenCore!

• Like 1

@eSaF

thanks, don't know why this happens.

but, my scan policy was set to only show the drives I boot with custom entries:  Windows 11 Pro and Windows 10 Pro so I know which Windows is being selected for boot at the GUI Boot Menu.

A few days ago, this broke and the GUI shows 4 entries:  Windows, Windows, Windows 11 Pro, Windows 10 Pro.

Then when selecting "Windows 11 Pro", no boot.  Selecting "Windows" booted.

Map in Shell of all the drives copy to Entries, reboot. No luck.

Scan Policy set to 0 every Icon booted from GUI. 

Something is borked here.  Fix please.

@eSaF

2687747 < this fixed it.

Thanks! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

"Scanpolicy has avdverse effects" is not a very helpful problem description.

There's an online app for calculating ScanPolicy: https://oc-scanpolicy.vercel.app/

If this doesn't work, the fix is getting your SSDT tables in order so that they are acpi-compliant and will work with both macOS and Windows! Because then you don't need modded 3rd party versions of OpenCore!

@cankiulascmnfye

Thanks.  Done that. 

The fix is the Scan Policy and it somehow stopped working, whereas it was working.

So with the NEW Version of OC-MOD which has the ability to bypass ACPI tables that aren't complaint --NOTE this is a Hacky-- hence means patching and none are really compliant,

so we resort to this thing called "Scan Policy".  Which was as I mentioned afore, working just fine.  Thus it is a great possibility that in the NEW version something changed in the package.

Which it did. Thus no boot.

Had to use UEFI Shell to boot. 

Thanks to @eSaF who is very astute and intelligent knew what the deal was. So we fixed with his kind help.

39 minutes ago, makk said:

So with the NEW Version of OC-MOD which has the ability to bypass ACPI tables that aren't complaint --NOTE this is a Hacky-- hence means patching and none are really compliant,so we resort to this thing called "Scan Policy".  Which was as I mentioned afore, working just fine.  Thus it is a great possibility that in the NEW version something changed in the package.

Which it did. Thus no boot.

You just completely misinterpreted my comment. Let me break down my train of though so you can follow it:

1. If your ScanPolicy value is correct…

2. …but doesn't work…

3. …then there's something wrong with this modded version of OpenCore or with your Configuration in  general

4. So therefore you should fix your config and/or switch to the official OpenCore version…

5. …which requires properly written ACPI tables.

Finally, an d most importantly: ScanPolicy is unrelated to ACPI tables and boot paramters. It seems to me that you completely over-rate the relvance of ScanPolicy for booting. It does nothing more than limit the listed device types and file systems shown in the BootPicker . It doesn't fix boot if it's broken. If you want to show all possible boot devices, set it to 0.

If I may chime in, I can't really imagine how the perfect previously working boot Menu/arrangement was broken if nothing was changed apart from a possible cause which happened to me.

Reflecting on my own experience, this could be it. When the first Sonoma Beta was released I decided to attached the Disk via Sata instead of my usual Hot Plug USB connection method for the Test Disk but to get the array to my liking in the Boot Menu i.e newest OS first followed by the one before etc then Windows last.

To do this I rearranged a few of the Disks connections in the system which obviously changed the Disk Path in the config.plist, On  trying to boot the visible Windows Disk showing at boot was not possible even though all was working before I made the changes.

I replaced 2687747 with 0 and the extra Volumes for Windows became visible which told me the Boot was not broken and enabled me to boot from the correct volume which prompted me to remember the changes I made and must find the correct Windows Disk Path in Shell again.

When the correct Path was found using Shell, the new data was added to the config.plist and 0 was replaced by 2687747 all was well again.

If this scenario was not the same, then as @cankiulascmnfye suggested something is/was not quite correct in your modded OC or a change was made unknown to you.

BTW - I too was a user of the original Modded OC back in the day but since the development was abandoned by the original Dev for unknown reasons, I switched to the official OC version.

I have no qualms for others using it if that is what they desire, I just feel whether I am right or wrong, the updates always depends on the release of the official ones a day or so late and I tend to use Nightly versions as soon as.

As they say..........Alls well that ends well. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by eSaF