ASRock Z790 LiveMixer + i7 13700k

12 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I'm about to build a new Hackintosh and I found a good deal for that motherboard and CPU, I was wondering if someone has tried those.

From what I found online, I should be able to make it work without any issue since there are many successful Z790 + 13700k builds out there, am I correct?

Thanks!

I own a PowerColor RX 6600 XT Red Devil and a PowerColor RX 6600 XT Fighter and I want to use them both as I'm using them now with my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, my only concern is that I can't find a Z790 that has a PCIe x16 v5.0 (x16) and PCIe x16 v4.0 (x8) so that when I populate both cards they would run in x8 mode (which is enough for those cards).

All Z790 cards that I looked have a PCIe x16 v5.0 (x16) a PCIe x16 v4.0 (x4) and a PCIe x16 v3.0 (x4), naturally, I'll have to populate the PCIe x16 v5.0 (x16) and PCIe x16 v4.0 (x4) slots, and I'm not sure how seriously will that affect the performance. 

From what I read, since PCIe v5 does not share lanes with PCIe v4 on Z790 boards, the one of two cards will operate at maximum bandwidth (which is more than enough for those mid ranged cards of mine), and the other card will operate with half the lanes at PCIe v4, which isn't like you getting -50% of the performance of the card but more like 5 to 10% performance decrease on the card in PCIe x16 v4.0 (x4) slot which will be negligible in rendering or gaming.

I can't confirm that theory since I haven't tested that  yet, it sounds logical to me, but unfortunately I couldn't find a definitive test somewhere online that confirms that.

The cost of ASRock Z790 Livemixer is at €250 in my country and I'm also investigating other options as well before I end up buying it.

Other worth checking options (around that price range) are also:

• MSI PRO Z790-A WiFi
  • Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
  • Gigabyte Z790 Gaming X

The first two cards support built-in WiFi/Bluetooth which does not support Handoff in Hackintosh, therefore in my opinion it is a useless feature to have. Other than that, MSI PRO is almost identical to ASRock Z790 Livemixer. I also had my eyes on ASUS Prime Z790-P, but I believe that it has a very cheap build so I dropped it from my consideration.

ASRock Livemixer also has an M2 WiFi slot, so I was wondering if that could also be used to slot in a broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth card so that Handoff will work. Now, in my board I have a PCIe card with a broadcom card on it for native Bluetooth/WiFi support on Hackintosh. Do you think that is possible?

Thanks a ton! 

PS: The reason I own two dGPUs isn't for Crossfire, I have a multi monitor setup and one dGPU isn't enough since it has only 4 outputs... 

Edited by panosru
  • Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:32 AM, panosru said:

PS: The reason I own two dGPUs isn't for Crossfire, I have a multi monitor setup and one dGPU isn't enough since it has only 4 outputs... 

The God of multi monitor ahahahahhaahha 🤣

• Haha 2

I'm trying to figure out a proper EFI, once I manage to boot into macOS, I'll post here. So far I only have setup the BIOS properly but I don't have an EFI yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how to boot into macOS, I see so many people being able to boot into their Z790 setups, but tbh I'm out of my depth with EFI building...

At first I tried to apply any changes that I found related to Z690 and Z790 on my current EFI provided by @D3v1L, but I wasn't able to boot into macOS, then, I used @MaLd0n's EFI for Alder Lake that he uploaded here, I changed the profile to MacPro7,1 and then I tried booting various times but none worked.

As I experimenting I added some flags in boot args that I read online that could help, I set resize bars (both apple and general) to zero, previously I had apple resize bars to -1 and resize bars enabled in BIOS. I also tried with disabled resize bars and 4G in BIOS, so far, nothing helped.

I have 4x16GB Kingston Renegade Silver DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory sticks, I tried with both XMP profile enabled, and disabled, still, none worked... Also, my monitor is connected to my dGPU (iGPU is disabled in BIOS).

I recorded a video of the verbose message here and here.

Could the issue be that I'm trying to boot into the M.2 with the OS that I had installed on my previous system?

So far my method is to search various forums and reddit and try out any suggestion I find, unfortunately it did not worked well for now :P

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

EFI.zip

Edited by panosru

@panosru U need a raptor lake EFI

EFI Raptor.zip

-Bios/UEFI in full default settings(Just set XMP and enable VT-d)
-Use USB2 port for easy installation with no remap USB
-Delete old EFI folder and paste new. Don't use merge files
-Don't use Drag and Drop into EFI partition. Use Copy/Paste instead
-Reset NVRAM one time - with OpenCore use entry "Reset Nvram" / with Clover use F11 key on boot screen

*After installation you need remove unnecessary files like unused Lan kexts

*If your GPU don't need agdpmod=pikera, remove this bootarg

*If your LAN card don't need dk.e1000=0 and e1000=0, remove these bootargs

*Generate a good and valid serial for you. Stay with iMacpro1,1

Remap USB u can check here https://www.olarila.com/topic/14220-hackintosh-usb-port-mapping-guide-2023/

@MaLd0n thanks a lot for the EFI! I wasn't able to find Raptor Lake in the URL I posted earlier, I thought it would be the same. Your EFI works! I can boot into the system, I only changed it to MacPro7,1 because that is what I had previously.

I Also noticed that when I do any changes to your EFI via OCAuxiliaryTools, it removes some of the entries that you have inside, for example:

1408248926_Screenshot2023-03-21at10_40_46.thumb.png.843906c8d235da7c53f64de50bc924bc.png

Then I have to put those three entries manually via text editor because otherwise it won't boot, and I believe that my previous EFI also wasn't able to boot because I had those entries removed by the tool.

For those:

*After installation you need remove unnecessary files like unused Lan kexts
*If your GPU don't need agdpmod=pikera, remove this bootarg
*If your LAN card don't need dk.e1000=0 and e1000=0, remove these bootargs

I removed agpmod=pikera because I don't have a Polaris card, so I guess I don't need it. For the first and last points I'm not sure if I need them or not, so I left them there.

Thanks again!

Ah! I see, you made a mod of OpenCore! That is very cool! I'll have to dig into your mod to find out how everything works because the EFI you provided to me is overwhelming for my Hackintosh knowledge.

I changed SMBIOS to MacPro7,1, is there a reason that you avoid MacPro SMBIOS? It seems to boot fine for me by only changing the SMBIOS, but since your EFI is too advanced for me, I'm not sure if my change affects something else.

Thanks!