Alienware Aurora R7 Secure boot keys.

gazza35

9 posts in this topic

Hi, im posing a question related to secure boot keys, im sure some of you may already have come across similar posts through experience.

My system is a Dell Alienware, i am Dual booted currently with Win 10 and Big Sur, everything has worked great so far with secure boot enabled in my bios, but the keys deleted in the bios, my Alienware bios lets me configure key cert, append them or disable them etc.

On the windows side quite a bit of my software has stopped working, Alienware command center, Dell updates, The thermals to monitor and control fans etc etc, and it will only all work with the secure boot keys enabled, Once enabled that all works, however it breaks opencore and i cant boot opencore with them enabled, so obviously i could use a different bootloader, but thats the other issue, i have a GTX 1060 and need opencore to be able to patch the system with Opencore Legacy patcher lol.

Its a headache, im formerly a clover guy and still new to Opencore, i only switched because of the GTX 1060.

I have seen various webpages about signing opencore etc through Unbuntu to be able to fix the Uefi booting with the keys enabled, BUT that is definitely beyond my knowledge and experience, it would be simpler if there were pre signed files to store in my efi folder and add them in the bios keys section to fix it.

Im hoping someone can tell me if there is a way to get around this problem and be able to make win 10, Big Sur and opencore all live together in the same system in harmony without broken software or boot and be able to bypass the secure boot violation i get trying to boot opencore.

Any advise or help please?

27 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 You don't need Open Core to use OCLP.

Yes i know but i could not get OCLP to fire up on my system at all, so i used opencore and patched it with OCLP, but either way even with OCLP it will just create a secure boot violation coz of the key signing, i dont think theres anyway around this one.

*SOLVED*

Ok i used the simplest method possible to resolve the problem.

After installing MacOs and opencore and using OCLP to patch it and enable the Nvidia drivers i was left with Dell related software unable to work when booting windows from opencore, worked if i launched the boot menu and booted from windows boot manager, so the issue was the Opencore bootloader.

I simply removed the Opencore bootloader from my Efi partition after everything was setup and installed the latest Clover bootloader, saved it all, after 1 or 2 changes and rebooted.

Success, Clover now boots Big Sur with working GTX1060 and also boots windows and allows all Dell related system apps to function as they should.

Easy quick fix, Clover has Opencore code in it anyway so i thought id try it and it works fine, for anyone looking for the easiest solution, saves a headache of looking to get opencore digitally signed.

11 hours ago, brousseau6933 said:

GTX1060 in Monterey? Surely no acceleration… 

Yes, Opencore Legacy Patcher. Using opencore as Bootloader, run the legacy patcher and it does indeed patch the sytem to enable Nvidia drivers, ive tested it in every version from Big Sur to Ventura, works on all of them. Only issue i had is my System is Alienware and Opencore was stopping Alienware apps from working, so after i had patched the opencore bootloader installed system, i reinstalled Clover, everything works as it should again with a working GTX 1060.

11 hours ago, brousseau6933 said:

GTX1060 in Monterey? Surely no acceleration… 

1697751644_Screenshot2023-03-01at01_48_29.png.234886f6f302d3074f07ce707352b1b6.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35   Well done.  Another reminder to "never say never."   I suspect that you'll be teaching many people.  You might also be interested in this.

I prefer the Oc Bootloaders, such a shame theres so many issues with Dell stuff, but, its lucky Clover has OC code in it.  The only thing that suprises me is there still a lot Of Nvidia owners dont really know about OCLP, very odd.  I hope eventually they get round to adding more patches to it, awesome bit of software.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 5:28 AM, gazza35 said:

Yes, Opencore Legacy Patcher. Using opencore as Bootloader, run the legacy patcher and it does indeed patch the sytem to enable Nvidia drivers, ive tested it in every version from Big Sur to Ventura, works on all of them. Only issue i had is my System is Alienware and Opencore was stopping Alienware apps from working, so after i had patched the opencore bootloader installed system, i reinstalled Clover, everything works as it should again with a working GTX 1060.

1697751644_Screenshot2023-03-01at01_48_29.png.234886f6f302d3074f07ce707352b1b6.png

Didn't know that GTX1060 could work with NVidia drivers. Great!

From here I guess?

Edited by brousseau6933
  • Like 1