Hardware Requirements Help Needed

gazza35

18 posts in this topic

Hi all, been a while since i was running Macos, changed computers since then,  I wanted to pose a question as to whether my system would work with Macos.

I have an Alienware (Dell) Aurora R7, Hardware is as follows, pretty much stock - Aurora R7 Motherboard,  Kaby Point Z370 Chipset so its CoffeLake-s,  DDR4,  I will be replacing the hdd so i want to install it to an SSD,  Intel UHD onboard but i have a GTX 1060 6gb as gpu (I know Pascal cards arent supported above High Sierra, But hoped someone may have a workaround to get it working, if not im happy to go backwards to High Sierra),  Onboard Audio is Realtek Alc898,  Network Adapter Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter,  Ethernet - Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller,   Has onboard bluetooth too but not something id be bothered about.

The main concern is whether i can get above High Sierra using the GTX 1060, really want the latest OS.

Anyway, any help or advice greatly appreciated, heres hoping.

Simple answer: No. No love, no driver and no solution for Pascal GPUs beyond High Sierra.

You can run Ventura with the iGPU or change the GTX 1060 for a supported Polaris, Vega or Navi GPU.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, etorix said:

Simple answer: No. No love, no driver and no solution for Pascal GPUs beyond High Sierra.

You can run Ventura with the iGPU or change the GTX 1060 for a supported Polaris, Vega or Navi GPU.

Well, was no harm asking lol, Thankyou for the reply, it was the answer i thought it might be, gutted, oh well, back to High sierra it is ha ha.  i did install Monterey just to be curious but no joy, seemed to install most of the hardware, just not the GTX.

Thankyou anyway, fingers crossed 1 day someone solves the issue.

@gazza35 You may want to follow progress being made in Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP).  The latest release (at the time of this post) is version 0.6.1 here which claims limited Pascal support in Ventura.  There's an OCLP thread here.  I'm using OCLP for my hack here.

OCLP is designed and supported only for real Macs, so its use on hacks is not supported by the OCLP developers.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 2:40 PM, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 You may want to follow progress being made in Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP).  The latest release (at the time of this post) is version 0.6.1 here which claims limited Pascal support in Ventura.  There's an OCLP thread here.  I'm using OCLP for my hack here.

OCLP is designed and supported only for real Macs, so its use on hacks is not supported by the OCLP developers.

@deeveedee Hello Mate, big THANKYOU for your input and advice, fact is i wasnt happy settling for HS, i threw down the gauntlet and went for it. Thanks to your input complete success, Monterey installed and Nvidia running perefect.  Just little things to resolve now like the onboard sound which is a kext fix, everything else is bang on.  Thanks again.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 01.48.29.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 Congratulations! I love seeing the student become the teacher.  I need to start using the expression "bang on."

Ha Ha Ha yer, Bang on Mate.  Well heres one for ya, i cant at all, get the sound to work sigh. The Nvidia is installed and graphics working fine, but without HDMI Audio unfortunatley, so that leaves me with onboard sound and i cant get that to work either, The HDMI sound is Nvidia GP106 HDMI Audio and onboard is Realtek ALC898.  They previously worked on High sierra using the standard Nvidia web drivers, so, unless theres something else i have to install i need to figure how to get the realtek onboard working, i tried Voodoo HDA which previously worked on High Sierra but it aint working on Monterey, any ideas, there must be kexts to power my audio considering were now on Ventura

@gazza35 You did well with OCLP, so here's another challenge for you: Try to install VoodooHDA.kext again.  You'll need to install VoodooHDA.kext in /Library/Extensions and make sure AppleALC.kext is not installed or it's disabled.  See my post here and look at other posts around mine in the VoodooHDA thread.

Edited by deeveedee

6 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 You did well with OCLP, so here's another challenge for you: Try to install VoodooHDA.kext again.  You'll need to install VoodooHDA.kext in /Library/Extensions and make sure AppleALC.kext is not installed or it's disabled.  See my post here and look at other posts around mine in the VoodooHDA thread.

I am completely stuck,  I have been using Clover for years and years, this is all beyond me this Opencore, i dont get it at all, Im not the most technical when it comes to MacOs as it is, but with Clover and everything up To Catalina it all worked perfect, its only because of a switch to Nvidia that i had to go down the Opencore root, so its been just a matter of days ive been trying to get my head around it, already Kernel panicked the system once lol and was lucky enough to have a EFI backup,  its the following bit i seem to be struggling with, i dont understand this bit - 

• and add VoodooHDA.kext to config.plist (Kernel > Add). I installed VoodooHDA.kext in both /L/E and OC/Kexts after reading @LockDown 's posts.  Not sure if both places is necessary.
  • Rename HDEF to HDAS (OC config.plist: ACPI > Patch) so that AppleHDA does not detect audio.  I read this in one of @Slice 's posts.
  • Add properties to Device HDAS with the attached SSDT. "

Does that mean i use your attached SSDT, where do i put it? and how do i add or change the HDEF thing....

Sorry to be a pain, you have been a big help, i want it working asap but gotta go work soon and wont get to look at this till tonight maybe, i dont spose you would be kind enough to have a glance at my EFI for me and add and add the kext and delete the alc and change that hdef thing for me could you?, would be the only request i make because sounds all i need to work really, not bothered about the minor things like bluetooth and wifi,  eventually ill get my head around opencore, like i want to theme it, change the background and icons etc, its just gonna be a while, im going to have to learn it from scratch as i stuck by clover for so long ha ha.

It would however be extremely appreciated if you had a few mins to take a look at my EFI please.

Thanks for all the help n advice thus far :)

EFI.zip

weirdly just to add, Firefox wont work on Monterey for me either, or anything based on Firefox, had to switch to Chrome,  how weird is that.

@gazza35 You're probably going to hate me for this: I don't have time to look at this now.  More importantly, I could do it for you (and would need more info from you to do it), but I won't.  I'd be doing you a disservice.  Your hackintosh is not a "set it and forget it" appliance, so you'll need to know what you're doing to maintain it.  And once you install VoodooHDA.kext in /Library/Extensions (a directory location), you may need to install it again after future macOS upgrades.

The best thing that I can do for you is to guide you so that you can do it yourself and become self-sufficient.  Just be patient with yourself.  If you've been using CLOVER for a while, then at least you have some of the hackintosh basics.

Here are some concepts for you to study and learn:

• Open Core: Read this
  • Open Core Legacy Patcher: Read this. Remember that OCLP is not intended (and not supported) for hackintoshes.  It is for real Macs.  You need to be able to read the OCLP instructions and recognize what applies to you and what does not.  If Firefox isn't working properly, it may be that you haven't properly incorporated the OCLP-generated EFI into your own EFI.  You cannot use the OCLP-generated EFI as-is, since it is intended for a real Mac and not for your hackintosh.  It may just be that you have SIP set improperly or you are missing a boot-arg like amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 (same as amfi=0x80).  You need to study the OCLP-generated EFI to see what elements you might still need in your own EFI.
  • Read my HackBookPro6,2 thread.  It's not the same as your laptop, but some of my experiences, lessons learned and approaches will help you.
  • Learn how to install kexts in the /Library/Extensions folder.  One tool that makes this "easy" is Hackintool.
  • Open Core Legacy Patcher is a work in progress.  It may not "fix" everything yet.  See known issues here.
  • Read this to learn how I used OCLP for my legacy hack.

Others have different approaches and others will do it all for you.  You could choose to wait for someone to do it for you, but I don't get the impression that is your style.  Make attempts (try hard) and then ask questions when you get stuck.

This all seems like a lot to learn now.  In a few days, you'll look back on your learning experience and you'll be glad you did it.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

@deeveedee  You are a legend sir, thankyou very much for all these guides.  Ok so audio is working, in honesty i havent got a clue about how to change hdef to hdas etc,  i just installed the kext with Hackinboot and added it in the kernel section and also added it to my efi and deleted the Alc one and rebooted and it worked instantly, enabled all audio ports in and out,  couldnt get the preference pane to work tho, did notice an error in my Config complaining about serialisation or something, but maybe ive got a wrong smbios i dont know or care, i ignored it for now, ill post about that in the OC section.  But thankyou again, i wouldnt have had Nvidia or audio without your help.

Now i need to figure why i cant get fox to work, and yer, its nagging me to upgrade to Ventura but im not sure i wanna open that can of worms just yet lol.  Cheers pal.

Got the hang of it now :),

My findings are - Didnt like the look of Monterey so tried Ventura, successful, tho i found ventura quite unstable, freeze ups, crashed drivers, and my Temps soared, my Cpu usually idles around 32 to 38, on Ventura it was all over the place with an idle of around 65, definitley not good, still no working firefox either.

Installed Big Sur, everything working and stable, i like it, temps back to normal and setup how i like it, im sticking with Big Sur till Ventura is eventually sorted and final.

14 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 Congrats on your continued learning.  What is your CPU model?

Hello,  Its the i5 8400 2.80ghz. 6 core.  was pleased with Big Sur, ootb it setup my bluetooth and wifi as well as ethernet, very little work required.

14 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 Congrats on your continued learning.  What is your CPU model?

Just need to learn the next stages now, Beautifying and themeing opencore.

@gazza35 Your CoffeeLake i5-8400 has native CPU power management in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura.  If you have properly patched ACPI and RTC, CPU power management should just work.  Read this to see if it offers any helpful suggestions   If you're still stuck after your own attempts, post your latest EFI.

17 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@gazza35 Your CoffeeLake i5-8400 has native CPU power management in Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura.  If you have properly patched ACPI and RTC, CPU power management should just work.  Read this to see if it offers any helpful suggestions   If you're still stuck after your own attempts, post your latest EFI.

No idea how to even check if cpu power management is working as it should, and tips how i can check that on opencore booted system?