[Solved] - hp 17-by2053cl i5 Laptop Ventura boots fine but skips picker..

AmigaOS

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an  hp 17-by2053cl I5, 16gb Pavilion laptop. Has 2 drive positions. An SSD and an M.2. Win11 is on the SSD and Ventura on the m.2. I replaced the stock Realtek wifi+bt card with a Broadcom BCM94360NG. I installed Ventura 13.0 from a USB stick and was able to get everything working really well and it even updated to 13.1 with no issues. 

But here is the problem. When I installed it the Opencanopy GUI worked great during install. But now when I turn on the laptop it boots directly into Ventura with no picker/opencanopy ever showing. It does this whether I boot from the usb stick or the efi on the M.2 drive. So I can't select win11 unless I use the laptop bios boot menu.  If I boot the usb stick on my desktop the opencanopy comes up normally. Also the same usb stick had worked when I installed Ventura on the laptop but no longer after the install.  I tried another usb stick with Big Sur on it and it also will not show the picker/opencanopy but does in the desktop. I tried resetting the NVRAM using terminal and no change. I've found no issues with Ventura on the laptop. Also have it running great on my desktop. The config,plist shows no problems on the OC checker.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update:

Success! Was an easy fix. Had to disable "ProvideConxoleGop" in EFI - Output. This is enabled by default. Works with older Opencore as it was only added after around 0.7.6 or so.

Edited by AmigaOS

I just updated from 0.8.7 to 0.8.8 and predictably no change. Still shows picker/opencanopy on desktop but not on laptop, just boots Ventura.

I also tried a different open canopy theme with different fonts, labels etc and mo change.

Edited by AmigaOS

30 minutes ago, Suddzz said:

I would say its down to opencores scan policy, windows only appeared when i added show EFI partitions to scan policy.

But it's not showing anything at all. Just a black screen for a couple of seconds then the Ventera boot progress bar and then its booted, Weird stuff.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:36 AM, AmigaOS said:

But it's not showing anything at all. Just a black screen for a couple of seconds then the Ventera boot progress bar and then its booted, Weird stuff.

Ok... looked at your efi an all seems good... strange one this.

Maybe instead of auto in picker varient try setting it to one of acidenthra syrah

Edited by Suddzz

18 hours ago, Suddzz said:

Ok... looked at your efi an all seems good... strange one this.

Maybe instead of auto in picker varient try setting it to one of acidenthra syrah

I tried that and also tried using one by chris1111. I also tried 'builtin' so see if the text menu would come up but no change.

This is a usb stick that is my Ventura installer and it does show the opencanopy guy properly on my desktop which has Ventura, Big Sur, win11 and opensuse linux and shows them all.  The same problem occurs booting from the fi on the laptop which is the same as what's on the usb stick.

The crazy thing is that it did show open canopy and displayed the laptops win11 and the install stick properly but once the Ventura was installed is when it stopped working.

Also, I tried my old Big Sur usb installer and the laptop skips open canopy but it foes boot to open canopy on the desktop. It must be something weird with the laptop causing it.

Edited by AmigaOS

6 hours ago, diamondhackintosh said:

I've had this problem too.I fixed it by using OCAuxiliaryTools
Use Config.plist with OCAuxiliaryTools. You will see a red button and save. Now the problem will be solved.

I just installed the latest version of OCAT (3 days old) and it won't go Paso OC 0.7.8 and I am running 0.8.8. Even when I clicked on update OC and kexts it only offered much older kexts and OC than what is already installed. Tried several other older EFI's on OCAT and it always tries to sync them to 0.7.8 even with sync to current version is selected.  I tried both the Mac and Win version of OCAT and same thing. 

I like doing the EFI/config.plist manually so I learn] more of what it's doing anyways. Takes longer and sometimes requires trial and error but at least I learn a lot.

OCAT seems to definitely have some problems.

My config.plist does pass the latest OC Validate with no issues though.

1 hour ago, antuneddu said:

https://youtu.be/AGq5kbZ5IfM

Watch to the minute 6.00

I used it just like in the video but it wants to downgrade mine from 0.8.8 to 0.7.8 with older kexts and all. The dropdown menu lists shows no newer choices than 0.7.8 and even with 'latest version' selected it won't go higher than 0.7.8. Github says this version of OCAT is only 3 days old. It does that same thing with 3 different efi/conf.plist files.  Its built in OC Validator us also for 0.7.8 so it doesn't even work on my config.plist, However if I run the current version of OC Validator downloaded separately it tells me 'no issues found'. 

As OCAT seems to not be updated to anything close to 0.8.8 I will not waste anymore time down this rabbit hole.

As the EFI boots to open canopy properly on my desktop it has to be some sort of compatibility issue with the laptop. The HP bios doesn't have many options that would have to do with this but who knows. The problem started after installing an M.2 drive and putting Ventura on it after which open canopy would no longer appear either from the usb stick or the EFI on the M.2 which is the same as the usb installer. Ventura boots all the way quickly with no issues and everything works as it should.

Edited by AmigaOS

I figured out the problem with OCAT. It was not able to get updates from the default Github mirror url. I changed it to another one from the list under 'settings' and now it's current up to 0.8.8. So I tried my config.plist on it and.....No red circle just a circle with a check mark and clicking that says 'no issues found'. So OCAT isn't gonna help anyways.

+

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Update: I tried building a new EFI using only older Opencore files and kexts. If I go back to 0.8.8 and kexts from October '22 then the picker works even in graphic mode. So now I need to try updating the kexts 1 at a time and see if its one go them doing it,. If it still works then something that was changed in Opencore after 0.8.8 is doing it. Fun stuff...I will update when I figure out the culprit.