x99 ventura install woes

genzai

34 posts in this topic

hello Community,

I have an x99 designare that runs perfectly with Monterey (EFI attached), but when trying to upgrade to or install Ventura it hangs early in the boot with "PCI Configuration Begin" the last thing on screen. Obviously this is not an unusual problem in the history of Hackintosh, and this system has always needed ncpi=0x2000, but I have no idea why this issue is happening during the Ventura install. I have tried removing npci=0x2000 and tried npci=0x3000 but both those options still hang with PCI Configuration Begin the last line on screen.

Much appreciate any guidance. 

g\

x99desi-redacted-EFI.zip

On 11/26/2022 at 5:33 PM, startergo said:

Change this in your config file and test it.

Thanks for the reply- I made the changes replacing the previous "Fix RTC _STA bug" entry with a c copy and paste from your link for "Fix RTC Range". Still getting stuck here:

IMG_0096.jpeg

config.plist

Edited by genzai

Stuck on RTC..., PCI Configuration Begins, Previous Shutdown..., HPET, HID: Legacy...

Well this general area is where a lot of PCI devices are first setup and configured, and is where most booting issues will happen. Other names include:

• apfs_module_start...,
  • Waiting for Root device,
  • Waiting on...IOResources...,
  • previous shutdown cause...

The main places to check:

• Missing EC patch:

• Make sure you have your EC SSDT both in EFI/OC/ACPI and ACPI -> Add, double check it's enabled.
    • If you don't have one, grab it here: Getting started with ACPI
  • IRQ conflict:

• Most common on older laptops and pre-builts, run SSDTTime's FixHPET option and add the resulting SSDT-HPET.aml and ACPI patches to your config( the SSDT will not work without the ACPI patches)
  • PCI allocation issue:

• UPDATE YOUR BIOS, make sure it's on the latest. Most OEMs have very broken PCI allocation on older firmwares, especially AMD
    • Make sure either Above4G is enabled in the BIOS, if no option available then add npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 (try both one at a time) to boot args.
      • Some X99 and X299 boards(ie. GA-X299-UD4) may require both npci boot-arg and Above4G enabled
      • AMD CPU Note: Do not have both the Above4G setting enabled and npci in boot args, they will conflict
      • 2020+ BIOS Notes: When enabling Above4G, Resizable BAR Support may become an available. Please ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0 if this is enabled.

Make sure that above 4g Is enabled in BIOS + Resizable BAR. Ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0. Compare your bios settings to these.

Edited by startergo

1 hour ago, startergo said:

Make sure that above 4g Is enabled in BIOS + Resizable BAR. Ensure that Booter -> Quirks -> ResizeAppleGpuBars is set to 0. Compare your bios settings to these.

Thanks, but my BIOS does not have above 4G decoding option and X99 BIOS definitely don't have BAR settings (I think that was introduced in later BIOS for x299, z390, etc, but not retroactive). Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

g\

add npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 (try both one at a time) to boot.

Disregard this I saw that you tried that already.

I am looking at the z390 designware manual page 58

image.thumb.png.c54420e095c52922c9e376918cac8c0c.png 

• Above 4G Decoding
    Enables or disables 64-bit capable devices to be decoded in above 4 GB address space (only if your system supports 64-bit PCI decoding). Set to Enabled if more than one advanced graphics card are installed and their drivers are not able to be launched when entering the operating system (because of the limited 4 GB memory address space). (Default: Disabled)

Do you have the latest bios?

Edited by startergo

There is z390 OC GitHub page:

https://github.com/seven-of-eleven/designare-z390-opencore-efi

F9j bios version introduced Resizable bar option and It is not even the latest Bios:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-DESIGNARE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

The latest bios F9:

Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.

Customers will NOT be able to reverse to previous BIOS version due to major vulnerabilities concerns.

Edited by startergo

This is for an x99 system, not the z390 system in my main signature- sorry about that confusions:

- X99 Designare EX

- i7-6950x

- 128GB RAM

- Radeon 5700XT

I'll update my system signature to reflect both systems, my z390 system runs Ventura just fine, but the x99 based systems are not able to boot the installer, as described.

Thanks,

g\

If you are sure that you are in the latest bios the only thing that gave me issues with Ventura is that non of my drives except the Ventura drive was visible without the X299SATA.kext. So try that kext from my repo and see if it fixes the boot. 
It is a code-less kext so don’t define executable path in the config.plist just the path to info.plist. 

Edited by startergo

20 hours ago, startergo said:

You still have Above 4G decoding in the settings.

mb_manual_ga-x99-designare-ex_e.pdf (gigabyte.com)

Can you save the BIOS settings to a file and post it here?

I am not sure where the discrepancy is, but this is a screenshot of my BIOS page. I've never had an above 4G option on this board. Currently running latest f5c BIOS. I have also attached my bios setting file that works well for Catalina and Monterey. I'll also try the x299Sata kext, though that seems like a bit of a long shot.

Thanks,

g\

IMG_0101.jpeg

s0-restore

Edited by genzai

2 hours ago, startergo said:

Don't you have an option in the bios to save bios settings to text file? Not sure how to read the file you attached.

hmm, not to my knowledge- when I save a profile on disk thats the file that is created and works to restore settings from. Is there another method that produces a text file?

Thanks,

g\

1 hour ago, startergo said:

I got 2 options. Ctrl+F2 saves as text and F2 only as CMO.

Those options are specific to Asus UEFI, not available on gigabyte boards. I tried some googling and don't think it's possible on gigabyte boards to save a txt or human readable bios profile file. But I assure you there is no above 4G setting on this board.

Thanks,

g\

Well the plot thickens a bit. The X299Sata kext does not seem to help (probably does not apply to x99). But in the process of completely resetting my BIOS and restoring it, then adding cards back in, I accidentally forgot to plug back in one of my U.2 drives- and I was able to boot and finish the install- however whenever I plug the U.2 drive back in I get stuck again at PCI conjuration end. This is not a great solution since I need the U.2 drive (it's part of an internal 2x4TB U.2 software RAID). In addition I cant seem to get my highpoint SAS RAID controller working even though the system seems to see it, the driver wont load.

Wondering if this info might help point to a solution though as removing or installing the U.2 drive mentioned reliably allows the system to boot or not- so maybe there is a way to configure this so it works with all the hardware installed, as it did in Monterey and earlier?

Thanks,

g\

You need to make sure the drive appears as internal to the operating system. For this it needs to be attached to devices and not the default bridges and “built-in” property has to be set either in the SSDT or through the devices in the config file. You may need to correct the USB mapping. I recently switched from a kext to SSDT in my repo. Take a look there also in the SSDT-NVME. There I created several devices BRG1, 2, 3 replacing the default bridges and at the end added the “built-in” property. 

Edited by startergo

On 11/27/2022 at 3:45 AM, genzai said:

hello Community,

I have an x99 designare that runs perfectly with Monterey (EFI attached), but when trying to upgrade to or install Ventura it hangs early in the boot with "PCI Configuration Begin" the last thing on screen. Obviously this is not an unusual problem in the history of Hackintosh, and this system has always needed ncpi=0x2000, but I have no idea why this issue is happening during the Ventura install. I have tried removing npci=0x2000 and tried npci=0x3000 but both those options still hang with PCI Configuration Begin the last line on screen.

Much appreciate any guidance. 

g\

x99desi-redacted-EFI.zip 9.13 MB · 2 downloads

Follow the OpenCore documentation or use pre-built EFI MaLd0n .

Your EFI folder is out of date, the new one doesn't have "Bootstrap" .

Don't use XCPM patches in kernel -> patch , you don't need them. Use the correct "Cpuid1Data" .

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/352877-hackintosh-efi-folder-for-all-chipsets-with-clover-and-opencore-bootloader-with-monthly-updates/#comment-2796024

Desktop HEDT Haswell-E Download HERE (x99 Chipset)

7 hours ago, pitrysha said:

Don't use XCPM patches in kernel -> patch , you don't need them. Use the correct "Cpuid1Data" .

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/352877-hackintosh-efi-folder-for-all-chipsets-with-clover-and-opencore-bootloader-with-monthly-updates/#comment-2796024

Thanks, I have long suspected my hacked together EFI, while it worked, wasn't necessarily the best or latest way to configure things. That said, this looks like quite an undertaking. Do you think a redux in this fashion will actually allow the system to boot Ventura with all of my hardware installed (as it does in Monterey)?

Thanks,

g\

9 hours ago, genzai said:

Thanks, I have long suspected my hacked together EFI, while it worked, wasn't necessarily the best or latest way to configure things. That said, this looks like quite an undertaking. Do you think a redux in this fashion will actually allow the system to boot Ventura with all of my hardware installed (as it does in Monterey)?

Thanks,

g\

Ventura works on X99, here's an example

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/354563-release-macos-ventura-130/?do=findComment&comment=2797112

On 11/30/2022 at 10:17 PM, pitrysha said:

Got busy, but hoping to return to this soon. To be clear, Ventura is installed and booting, but not with all my hardware enabled- I have to unplug one of the u2 drives for it to boot at all (past PCI configuration end) and so far my highpoint RAID card refuses to load drivers- these both seem like resource/IRQ type errors that did not exist with Monterey and earlier macOS versions, so I really hope there is a way to resolve this and have all the hardware working again.

Thanks,

g\

On 11/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, startergo said:

You need to update OC, all drivers ant kext to the latest one. Also make sure the config file has no errors. Use OCvalidate for checking. 

Yes that is not the issue, I keep all those up to date.

thanks,

g\

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 4:11 PM, pitrysha said:

Hi! Now I want to update my system with 5820k and wait for 2696 v3. Now I have installed Monterey for now, but I'm thinking of installing Ventura. I wanted to roll it on Monterey, but the installation did not go further, since I did not see it in Open Core. I have a similar system to the Asus x99-a.
I have a question, did you do a Bios patch, as well as a turbo boost unlock? And do I need a KDK patch in Ventura?

2 hours ago, alexlub said:

Hi! Now I want to update my system with 5820k and wait for 2696 v3. Now I have installed Monterey for now, but I'm thinking of installing Ventura. I wanted to roll it on Monterey, but the installation did not go further, since I did not see it in Open Core. I have a similar system to the Asus x99-a.
I have a question, did you do a Bios patch, as well as a turbo boost unlock? And do I need a KDK patch in Ventura?

For bios I used UEFIPatch , patches.txt attached . What is "KDK patch" I don't know , turbo boost unlock i don't use

patches.txt