Can't boot on x79 with Ivy Bridge E - SOLVED! (thanks Slice!)

J Lamp

5 posts in this topic

I've been trying to update my venerable Gigabyte X79-UD5 with an i7-4960x (Ivy Bridge-E) from Big Sur to Monterey, but no luck

I've tried multiple different setups with both OpenCore and Clover, for the most part I can still boot reliably to Big Sur, but I can not get into Monterey (either the installer or an imaged drive) without cpus=1. I get panics with either boot loader early in the boot process. It looks like classic power management problems.

I'm starting to suspect that my problem is "CPUs without MSR_IA32_TSC_ADJUST (03Bh) are currently unsupported on macOS 12 and newer" as per;

https://github.com/acidanthera/CpuTscSync

I have spent a couple days on this so far without any luck. Before I waste any more time, how do I establish if the MSR_IA32_TSC_ADJUST (03Bh) problem is what is wrong with my i7-4960x? Is there a list somewhere of CPUs or a terminal command I can run to test this?

Beyond that if anyone can offer a way to make this work that would be great. I've tried settings from various repos from GitHub of peoples EFI folders, none have got me past this problem.

Edited by J Lamp
Issue solved

See 

You can find here msrtool and check if your CPU supported MSR 0x3B

Me and others already successfully installed Monterey on X79 + Ivy Bridge E5 so you also can do this. Just don't give up.

My solution is Clover-5150 + TscSyncTimeout + VoodooTscSync + DSDT edit.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot Slice, that's very helpful!

I seem to have more than just that happening though. I've had some luck getting the installer to load with OC from this post:

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/350002-installing-montereybig-sur-on-all-x79-motherboard-like-huananzhi-chinese-gigabyte-asus-etc-and-powermanagement/

I've been through that supplied EFI folder forwards and backwards, tweaking it to specifically my X79-UD5, all the while to understand what the differences are between my Clover (5150) EFI (won't boot Monterey) and the OC one presented that does boot Monterey. Either one boots Big Sur without any trouble.

Strangely though, even with the exact same EFI folder (working) on a USB key and copied to my internal SSD, the box will boot and reach the installer when booting from the EFI on the USB key, but will panic (later in the boot process) if I boot with the EFI off the SSD and try to load the USB installer. It's exactly the same EFI folder.

I think I read somewhere that there was an AHCI change in Monterey, I'll have to look for that again.

I am using a particular version of VoodooTSCSync.kext that's from the OC EFI folder that's working. Oddly there's no spot in the info.plist in this VoodooTSCSync.kext to enter the number of cores-1. How do I adjust the "TSCSyncTimeout" in Clover? I don't recall seeing in in Clover Configurator (maybe I missed it.) The OC config.plist that is working for me has TSCSyncTimeout set to 3 as opposed to the default 0. Is there a particular range of values or is it just a quirk to enable? The OC documentation seems a bit vague on it.

CloverConfigurator is a looser. OC documentation as well.

<key>TscSyncTimeout</key>
			<integer>0</integer>

Value 0 - the quirk is OFF

Value 750000 helps me with Monterey.

VoodooTscSync

AHCI is not changed in Monterey. My chinese motherboard works in Mojave, in Monterey and in Windows 10 with BIOS setting AHCI=enabled. Nothing more.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Slice, thanks man!!!

I had a bunch of issues getting this sorted, one being that I would open my config.pilst in Clover configurator and it would delete the TSCSyncTimeout entry when I saved it (I believe that's fixed now.) Thanks for the advice to use another editor, Xcode plist editor did the trick.

Anyway, after a bunch of messing about, your VoodooTscSync was 100% the solution. The comment on your Github  "if you have an i7 you'd set IOCPUNumber=7" is a bit misleading, I just entered the number of threads for my CPU less 1.

As for the value of TscSyncTimeout I'm using a value of 1. TscSyncTimeout = 0 early panic, TscSyncTimeout = 1, rock solid machine. I just kept entering lower numbers to see how far I could go. As it's an audio workstation I wanted to keep the timing on it tight, I've held off till now to report back as I wanted to make sure that the setting didn't affect machine performance. It doesn't.

So many of my hacks over the years have been based on your hard work, can't thank you enough!👍

• Like 2