Cryptexfixup problem on Ventura Legacy

CrashMidnick

16 posts in this topic

Hi There,

I know this is unsupported hardware but no difficulty, no fun :)

I saw some users here with working Ventura on legacy systems so it should be doable on my System.

My system is running latest Monterey update (See my signature for specs, P5QLpro).

I updated OC to the latest version, added Cyptexfixup to my config plist due to non AVX2.0 CPU,.downloaded Ventura from the Appstore and then tried to install. I did it 3 times and I am stuck here :

IMG_4372.thumb.PNG.982b8af3063f091de896ec55487c4bd1.PNG

Any idea ?

EDIT : EFI ATTACHED

insanelymac.zip

Edited by CrashMidnick

I tried that before but it did not work :

1) Activated before updrading

2) Upgraded without it and then enabled it

Stuck at the same point.

If I take my Ventura install from my working Ivy Bridge, I can go almost to the login screen but it crashes at something like "Shared_region" and then I have a CPU panic.

I reinstalled Monterey and now I decided to update to Ventura using the Ivy Bridge (without using any patcher except Cryptex).

The system behaves exactly the same as I first updated my Ivy bridge : it boots into the system but black screen due to missing AMD patch. All fine.

I reconnect the drive to the legacy computer and after cryptex is trying something = CPU panic.

It is like Cryptexfixup is not doing its job on my system.

Edited by CrashMidnick

Check the os.dmg file size in preboot volume. If it's not more than 4 GB in size, it probably didn't work.

You can try the manual method. Extract os.dmg from the Apple Silicon IPSW then copy it to the target volume's preboot partition. Also, don't forget to add root hash validation patch in config.plist if you are not using CryptexFixup.kext.

You may also need

NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext

AAAMouSSE.kext

- Boot-args: keepsyms=1, amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 

- PS2 Keyboard/Mouse or PCIE USB 3.0 Expansion Card  to use USB Keyboard/Mouse 

• Like 2

@CrashMidnick

Are you able to boot in safe mode? If you can, apply the root patch there and reboot to normal mode.

If you have access to the EFI from another system, add this in boot args:

-amd_no_dgpu_accel

and reboot to normal mode.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AppleBreak said:

Check the os.dmg file size in preboot volume. If it's not more than 4 GB in size, it probably didn't work.

You can try the manual method. Extract os.dmg from the Apple Silicon IPSW then copy it to the target volume's preboot partition. Also, don't forget to add root hash validation patch in config.plist if you are not using CryptexFixup.kext.

You may also need

NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext

AAAMouSSE.kext

- Boot-args: keepsyms=1, amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 

- PS2 Keyboard/Mouse or PCIE USB 3.0 Expansion Card  to use USB Keyboard/Mouse 

Thanks, I will check the manual method but as the Ivy bridge boots the HDD I think all is good.

Except the PS2/USB3 thing that should not be related to my problem, I tried everything.

If I use NoAVXFcompression I can get passed the Panic but at the end of the boot, Many lines are coming and they seems to be in loop.

2 minutes ago, CrashMidnick said:

Thanks, I will check the manual method but as the Ivy bridge boots the HDD I think all is good.

Except the PS2/USB3 thing that should not be related to my problem, I tried everything.

If I use NoAVXFcompression I can get passed the Panic but at the end of the boot, Many lines are coming and they seems to be in loop.

Right, even after successful Rosetta Cryptex installation, You may still need NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext , AAAMouSSE.kext, and keepsyms=1 in order to boot in to macOS Ventura. Then amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 to apply GPU patch via OCLP.  PS2 or PCIE USB card is just needed to be able to use USB keyboard/mouse since UHCI controllers don't work anymore in macOS Ventura.

• Like 2

Ok so I've tried everything you said guys and not a single process. I think I am screwed this time. But that was not too bad to keep this computer from 2008 alive up to Monterey ;)

I spent 3 days on it, trying pretty much all kernel patches, kexts, boot args, SSD transfers, bios settings... Nothing helped. The only thing I did not try is to swap the GTX770 with the RX580 using MouSSe but I do not think it has much to do with the problem.

I will leave it in a non working state during the next 2-3 months to see if there are any improvements on the OC and kext sides.

@all Thanks for your help :)

Edited by CrashMidnick

@stagtrader

Please add a signature to your profile to get help, in this way all can see tour hardware. (Account details >> Signature).

As now I don't know the generation of your CPU, I can't say too much but, if your CPU lacks AVX2, there are 2 ways to apply the OCLP root patch:

• If you have access to the EFI from another system, add this in boot args:
    -amd_no_dgpu_accel
    and reboot to normal mode to apply root patch.
  • or boot directly in safe mode to apply root patch there.

Probably you also need CryptexFixup.kext.

my CPU is Xeon X3480. i figured it out. i needed 'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1' in order to get the OCLP working.

image.png.2e934f352d21be7df5b82705ce976633.png

Once that was completed i had full acceleration after removing '-amd_no_dgpu_accel' & rebooting 😀

image.thumb.png.00269a7b84c6bd03f94ae1c2e4ece9a8.png

Thank you again for all your helpful suggestions @miliuco @AppleBreak they worked for me 😃

Edited by stagtrader
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I tried today, once again, to install Ventura in a different drive. If I launch the installer from Monterey the installation, after 4 or 5 reboots, goes almost until the end. With usb install it stops int the same grey screen with a workable mouse pointer and the pc is not crashed... Probably the problem is the Geforce 710, I already tried most of the boot flags to stay in vesa mode but no success. I know the PC is an old one but...

ScreenShot where it always stops.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

IMG_0822.HEIC EFI 2.zip

@analise what is the cpu you're using?

If its older than Sandy Bridge which the Xeon in your signature is then you should use this kext NoAVXFSCompressionTypeZlib-AVXpel.kext instead of the one you're using.

also when updating to Ventura you need to change your boot argument to 'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1'

in order to run the patcher you will need to also have '-amd_no_dgpu_accel' or the equivalent for nvidia 'nv_disable=1' (i think maybe its been awhile since i've used nvidia 😅) in your boot arguments.

you can also just use safe mode to boot into that will disable your graphics acceleration so you can apply the root patches.

after patching you can remove whatever argument if any you added.

i would also suggest mapping your usb ports (USBMap) instead of using USBInjectAll.kext 😃

Edited by stagtrader
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 9:12 PM, stagtrader said:

my CPU is Xeon X3480. i figured it out. i needed 'amfi_get_out_of_my_way=0x1' in order to get the OCLP working.

image.png.2e934f352d21be7df5b82705ce976633.png

Once that was completed i had full acceleration after removing '-amd_no_dgpu_accel' & rebooting 😀

image.thumb.png.00269a7b84c6bd03f94ae1c2e4ece9a8.png

Thank you again for all your helpful suggestions @miliuco @AppleBreak they worked for me 😃

Would you mind sharing your EFI ?

thanks in advance

I have successfully installed Ventura with OCLP.0.5.2
But I'm not successful in accelerating Rx 570 graphics with OCLP.
I patched rx 570 via OCLP on save mode with args -x
And remove -amd_no_dgpu_accel on args After patch success
When reboot Ventura won’t boot any help thanks in advance

LGA 1155 ivy bridge

Edited by diamondhackintosh