[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.8.3 > 0.8.4 differences

miliuco

10 posts in this topic

OpenCore 0.8.4 is out. Get it from Acidanthera.

Main changes

• Misc >> Tools: added FullNvramAccess key (Boolean) for tools which require direct access to NVRAM. It disables the NVRAM protections provided by OpenRuntime.efi during the time the tool is in use. Leave it False except if it is specifically required.
  • UEFI >> Drivers >> LoadEarly: added checks in ocvalidate to conform with the guidelines that regulates it when using the OpenVariableRuntimeDxe driver:
    - When OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi is in use its LoadEarly option must be set to TRUE.
    - When OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi is in use it must be before OpenRuntime.efi in the drivers list and OpenRuntime.efi LoadEarly option must be set to TRUE.
    - LoadEarly for any other driver but OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi and OpenRuntime.efi in the above scenario must be set to FALSE.
  • Updated SSDTs for Hyper-V: SSDT-HV-CPU.dsl is replaced with SSDT-HV-DEV.dsl for compatibility with older macOS versions on Windows 10 and newer.
  • Updated builtin zlib library to 1.2.12.
  • Changed ocpasswordgen not to print characters on password input.
  • Fix for older hardware (Pentium 4).
  • Fix for 32-bit build support on macOS (use High Sierra 10.13 and below).
  • Added network stack drivers, a basic set of NetworkPkg drivers with HTTP boot support (ArpDxe.efi, Dhcp4Dxe.efi, DnsDxe.efi, DpcDxe.efi, HttpBootDxe.efi, HttpDxe.efi, HttpUtilitiesDxe.efi, Ip4Dxe.efi, MnpDxe.efi, SnpDxe.efi, TcpDxe.efi, Udp4Dxe.efi). Only in SampleCustom.plist.

config.plist

• Misc >> Tools: added FullNvramAccess key (Boolean). See above.
  • UEFI >> Drivers: added network drivers with HTTP boot support (only in SampleCustom.plist).

Kexts

• AppleALC 1.7.5: added new layouts, fixed xml formatting.
  • CPUFriend 1.2.7: added kext bundle version support when creating CPUFriendDataProvider.kext. (thanks @deeveedee ).
  • MacHyperVSupport 0.9.1: updated Readme and fixes.
  • VoodooPS2 2.3.0: fixes.

Thank you OpenCore team!!!

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

@milliuco

Your Guides Are Great BUT Can You Include An EFI Folder So That

Lazy People ( LIKE ME ) Have Something To Start With

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

@STLVNUB

Of course I can include my EFI but don't forget that there are specific settings for different hardware. For example you have a B560 chipset + Comet Lake CPU  and my EFI (Z390 chipset + Coffee Lake R CPU) needs changes to be able to work on your hardware.

Anyway, here it is, OC 0.8.4 with different SMBIOS options, valid for Monterey and Ventura.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/1041-opencore-084-build-2022-08-24-efi-for-monterey-and-ventura/

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 1

@miliuco and everybody else that is meticulously following the ongoing OC development advancement, like I do, that will finally lead us hackers to the ultimate degree of hacking perfection we all wish to achieve in controlling our hacks.

It is however perturbing to note that the purpose of the new options and "variable placeholders" in the  "PlatformInfo" section of the OC 0.8.4 config.plists file, continues to remain a mystery.

Because I don't know what is intended, I keep  PlatformInfo-->Automatic-->YES and PlatformInfo--CustomMemory--NO,  thereby short circuiting what these new config.plist entries in the PlatformInfo section of that file aim to achieve.

WHAT IS THEIR PURPOSE AND WHAT ARE THEY ULTIMATELY TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH. ???

Hoping that somebody will be able, and willing to shed some light on these issues, that continue, for me at least, to remain a mystery.

Greetings Henties

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

@STLVNUB

Of course I can include my EFI but don't forget that there are specific settings for different hardware. For example you have a B560 chipset + Comet Lake CPU  and my EFI (Z390 chipset + Coffee Lake R CPU) needs changes to be able to work on your hardware.

Anyway, here it is, OC 0.8.4 with different SMBIOS options, valid for Monterey and Ventura.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/1041-opencore-084-build-2022-08-24-efi-for-monterey-and-ventura/

Already have that one, Anyway my clover boots Catalina to Venture Highway, but I like To Fiddle, Only thing missing in OC is the ability to put it into firmware

Ala Ozmosis, after all , OC is son of Ozmosis ;)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

@milliuco

Your Guides Are Great BUT Can You Include An EFI Folder So That

Lazy People ( LIKE ME ) Have Something To Start With

Do you mean the EFI and sample.plist that is included with each OpenCore release?  If you need more, isn't that what OCAT is for?

@miliuco Great summary as always!  You may want to add VoodooPS2 2.3.0 to your list of updated kexts.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

Messages by @PMheart and @dhinakg in Dortania, reading them is recommended.

https://dortania.github.io/hackintosh/updates/2022/09/06/acidanthera-september.html

10 hours ago, deeveedee said:

... You may want to add VoodooPS2 2.3.0 to your list of updated kexts.

Done, thanks.

Edited by miliuco

@deeveedee

You are right. During the month of August, a couple of builds of CPUFriend were released and I took it for granted that the new version was released but it has not been, in fact CPUFriend is still officially version 1.2.6. Fixed in the first post. Thanks.