gfxutil for 32 bit

17 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

Hi guys! Anybody has gfxutil for 32 bit?

But why? 64bit applications are supported since Leopard on all CPU except Pentium 4 and Yonah. Do you really have one?

2 hours ago, Slice said:

But why? 64bit applications are supported since Leopard on all CPU except Pentium 4 and Yonah. Do you really have one?

@Slice just for fun I try to install SL on eeepc 900HA. Atom N270, GMA 945. Next I'll try Lion 10.7.5. It is my first hack with vintage OS, and I don't know much (kexts, tools, etc.). Now I'm struggling with GMA 945 on SL 10.6.8. If you have some tips/tools please share. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Stefanalmare said:

@Slice just for fun I try to install SL on eeepc 900HA. Atom N270, GMA 945. Next I'll try Lion 10.7.5. It is my first hack with vintage OS, and I don't know much (kexts, tools, etc.). Now I'm struggling with GMA 945 on SL 10.6.8. If you have some tips/tools please share. Thank you!

It was 10 years ago, I loose all my files and knowledge since that.

Atom N270 is taken into account in Clover probably because of some user already tested it. I don't remember the result.

I had success with GMA950 and GMAX3100 but I think GMA 945 will be impossible. May be I am wrong.

You need Clover-32 so very old version.

Lion 10.7.5 requires CPU with 64bit instructions although it supports 32bit system. You'd better stay with 10.6.8 if success.

• Like 1

Thx @Hervé for moving here my off topic question. Actually I installed SL on my EeePC 900ha with the latest OC IA32. All working, less external VGA. But I'll try  to fix it. The little machine is moving better in SL then in windows or linux. It was a nice and funny road to do this. Now guys, I'm looking for a plist editor, an EFI mounter and an ACPI log viewer. Sure for 32 bit.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:21 AM, Hervé said:

Asus Eee PC 900HA is fitted with whatever flavour of GM945 chipset and GMA950 graphics (no such thing as GMA 945). Atom N270 is a legacy single-core 32bit CPU so forget about Lion which requires 64bit dual-core CPU (see here); the best it can run is Snow Leopard. Plenty of old threads and old L/SL guides on the Net and this forum for this old and obsolete little device and its 100xHx brothers or, at least, there used to be 10+ years ago... Vanilla kernels are not supported, you'll need an Atom kernel.

Good luck with the archeological work.

I don't need imach_kernel_atom. I just spoofed processor in OC. Sleep work better this way. The installation is almost vanilla, just 2 graphic kext in SLE, all rest clean.

• Like 1

@Stefanalmare I have an old HP Netbook with an Atom N270.  It never occurred to me to try SL on it.  I know it's a big ask since you put a lot of work into this, but would you mind sharing your EFI?

EDIT: Probably a naive question, but which kexts did you need to install in SLE and is there a reason you needed to install them in SLE instead of inject them with OC?

Edited by deeveedee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 10:41 AM, joevt said:

I have a gfxutil_efi for efi but I don't think it does all the things that the macOS version does.

https://github.com/joevt/joevtApps

I was using it to find differences between Apple's EFI Device Path Nodes and the standard UEFI Device Path Nodes (such as what Apple uses for its NVMe in a Mac mini 2018).

oh its not complied.. hmm will try that someday when I get edk2 setup working again.. will keep you site in mind thx

I also did similar while forcing thunderboltdrom and uuid to the tianocore/coreboot to get thunderbolt working 

I had to get the x86-stub.c in linux to dump the ram location of where the properties were.. opencore does inject them if I run openshell and then openlinuxboot

I wish somehow I can inject those in the efi shell.(in tianocore). but I could not debug the apple efi one in retail rom.

2011 thunderbolt mbp8,2 was hard to activate than 2012 because I think of dmar-ir (vt-d) support vs no support.

egpu thru thunderbolt only amd card work but not nvidia because of bar memory no availble, then I also had to increase mmio reverse size from 2048 to at least 3072

what is https://github.com/joevt/joevtApps/tree/main/Thunderbolt

Edited by kocoman

On 12/18/2022 at 12:02 PM, kocoman said:

Nothing yet. The readme says:

"Miscellaneous code from tianocore/edk2-platforms that I haven't tried yet. One goal would be to initiate PCIe tunnelling for a Thunderbolt 3 or Thunderbolt 4 add-in card installed in a computer that doesn't have firmware support for Thunderbolt add-in cards."

I would basically try to use the code on a MacPro3,1 for example. The problem is that if the PCI bridge of the Thunderbolt controller gets activated, the PCI devices on the Thunderbolt bus won't be usable until macOS finishes booting. The devices need to be added during PEI or DXE time so that they can be used in the boot process before booting macOS. I don't know if there's a way to add PCI devices during DXE time instead of PEI time and I think the only way to modify PEI is to modify the firmware.

On an old Power Mac (uses Open Firmware instead of EFI) you can execute code before PCI devices are probed without modifying the firmware. The firmware executes code that is loaded from NVRAM which can maybe load code from disks that don't require PCI probing. For an Intel Mac (uses EFI) you can execute code during DXE time after PCI devices are probed but before the Startup Manager appears by setting Driver#### NVRAM variables.

I suppose it might be possible during DXE time to tear down the EFI device handles for the PCI root ports containing Thunderbolt controllers, install a new PCI driver, then rebuild those PCI root ports. The entire device tree starting from a root port needs to be rebuilt to reserve more BAR memory space and PCI bus numbers for newly detected devices behind the Thunderbolt PCI bridges.