Boot NVME drive on old PC

Popyacap

8 posts in this topic

First of all I am new here and find the menus difficult to navigate to what I am after. Never have been one much for the layout of forums. Sorry to the site for posting in the wrong place if I have done so. The longer I am at this the worse forums seem to get for any ease of posting. Things are too complicated.

Been at this a long time and have followed many guides, all of which have failed. Simply put, I have a nvme drive and I want to place it into an adapter and boot from it. It will probably be a Linux or windows OS.

The system I wish to boot the nvme: Intel q9550 CPU/Gigabyte EP45 Ud3P motherboard. BIOS (NON UEFI)

To make this real simple I am trying to accomplish just one thing: put Clover onto a USB drive and have it bootable by this system. A more modern UEFI system has no issues at all booting the same drive. The old system in question was installed OS using a USB drive. The old system has BIOS only. No UEFI.

So far all I have gotten is either a black screen with a non-flashing prompt, or endlessly "verifying dmi pool".

If anyone can explain in steps (not missing any) this would make me very happy. At this time all I want to do is have "Clover" show up when I boot the USB drive. As, if I can't even get it to boot, nothing else matters.

1 hour ago, ricola said:

I can boot NVMe drive (w/ macOS) in my old PC (NVMe to pcie adaptor), just put the EFI on another sata drive or Usb drive and NvmExpressDxe.efi in EFI/OC/Drivers/ ...

Yes, you booted not NVME, you boot another sata or usb.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,
I used this method too . I have an usb with clover and NVme driver to boot my nvme SSD internal drive.
Bios doesn’t “see” nvme SSD /pcie adapter , but Clover yes.

PCI adapter is slower that native nvme slot
I got 800mbs /Rw than 3500mbs/RW speed

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...