10.4.8 AMD SSE3 Test - Problems after installing

Yutani

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've got a huge problem with my OSX.

After the first boot, everything is fine, my hardware is detected perfectly, everything runs smooth. No crashes or anything else occured. But I've experienced a few annoying things that make my installation virtually unusable.

Here are the steps I've done after setup:

- Installed forcedeth.kext, reboot, network is recognized, ok.

- Downloaded Firefox 2.0, setup ok but crashes when trying to download something.

- Tried Safari to download something, Safari crashes without message.

- Tried Firefox again, but it says there's already an instance running and it can't start, not even after a reboot!

- Tried Safari again, but it still crashes after a few seconds.

- OK, no internet, damn.

Now I tried a few other things that *did* work after first boot after setup:

- Changing desktop wallpaper doesn't work, the panel closes instantly.

- Console with "sudo -s" gives me that weird "mail_queue_..." error over and over again.

- I can't empty the Recycle Bin.

- I can't copy files to my desktop or elsewhere.

- Reboot doesn't work anymore, it just exits Finder and restarts it instantly.

It just seems that I don't have rights or privilegues to write on the HDD. I checked the permissions with DiskUtil, but it can't find any wrong permissions.

And last but not least a minor problem:

- Boot hangs with a few "diskarb" messages, but boot into GUI after a little while, though. I tried a few solutions somewhere in this forum, but they didn't work for me.

Except for the forcedeth.kext and the kextunload/kextload tweak in /etc/rc (for PS2 Keyboard and USB mouse) I didn't change anything in OSX!

My specs:

Athlon X2 3800+

Asus A8N-SLI, BIOS 1013

Geforce 7800 GT

SATA HDD (is correctly recognized in System Profiler)

Did anyone have similar problems or does even know how to fix that? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Yutani

PS: I forgot to mention that OSX now only boots every 2nd or 3rd attempt. I can't explain that... :2cents:

Well, this is my fourth installation now, everytime the same problem. :(

In the four times did you try the patch from myzar or see how different kernels work for your system :idea:

Did you see how things go only using one core?

No, I didn't even know there is a patch, I always tried to find specific solutions for my problems. :idea:

I downloaded minipatcher.zip now, but first I will reinstall OSX from scratch again to be sure everything is unchanged.

fortunately the setup doesn't take long.

I never understood why ppl complain about installing osx86, it takes me about 20 minutes start to finish and then I look at a suse install that takes me about four hours.

Try using other kernels then just the one on the disk, try with idlehalt=0, there has been reports of no problem with stuttering but it's worth trying to see how it affects your hardware.

The patch may not fix all the problems you listed but it's a start. Good Luck.

That was'n meant ironic, the setup is really fast on my machine. :)

But after I downloaded Minipatcher.zip, I found something in my root directory.. a patcher binary and amd_rufus_1048_nex.txt.

I installed both rufus' and the Minipatcher on my new OSX installation and things seemed to be more stable after several reboots, although Safari won't start at all.

But later on, I experienced almost the same problems as written above. Firefox won't start, Recycle Bin makes trouble and DMGs cannot be opened.

Next, I'll try to update my kernel to the newest version.

mhh let me guess you installed it over a sata drive

I guess too cause I have the same install running fine on Pata (IDE) hard drive...and I installed it 10-12 times so far...now running with kernel update via script found here.

On sata you have LOSS of data (I had too).

mhh let me guess you installed it over a sata drive

Yes, I installed on SATA, because it works out of the box. But my installation becomes more defective with every boot. The only failures I noticed during boot time were some journaling errors and this "diskarb" stuff.

I also noticed another problem: During installation, I've put my USB mouse to the PS2 port with a small adaptor. I edited /etc/rc to get my PS2 KB and the USB mouse working simultaneously. But after reboot, Safari and Firefox crashed (read above). Until I switched back to PS2 mouse and keyboard. At least I could get Safari to start, but Firefox is still corrupted. Very strange... I can't believe that a small change in hardware combination can make the whole OS almost unusable!

What if I try installing on a primary slave PATA drive? Will it boot from there? I really don't want to mess with my primary master PATA drive where my Windows is installed. And my optical drives are both on the secondary channel.

I'm almost willing to give up. :)

Yutani, our macos patched instalations can't work very well on the nForce chipsets, unfortunally! The first kernel that could at least boot was the 10.4.8, but it still corrupts data, specially if you have some USB device attached. For some reason (maybe the timer diferences on the VIA driver that's used to make nForce "run") when you plug USB stuff on your computer, the OS can't handle very well with the SATA controller... I have 2 solutions for you:

1) You can try to install the OS on a PATA drive, for sure it will run fine without ANY problem, I garantee you

2) You can try to unplug ALL your USB stuff and see how it works. Try using PS/2 mouse and plug you modem on Ethernet. It will make your OS runing better, but not fine!

hope I had helped..

Thico Alves