Need help building Big Sur ISO please anyone..

davidm71

3 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

Been trying to make a Big Sur ISO file and had an issue of which makes me wonder if I did it correctly. First issue is acquiring the full installer. Found a python script (dont remember name)  that access apples catalogue and downloaded two different versions. Problem was that the Install macOS app was a little light in megabytes and wasn't the full installer. So found this app I think it was called Susinspector and that one allowed me to download the full 12GB installer but once again the install macOS app was missing the content that was needed according to the guide I found online detailed below. Basically the createinstallmedia  routine on step 4 would error out however did some research and found there was an installESD file at like 11GB hidden within one of the packages in the full download and creating a 'SharedSupport' folder inside the Install MacOS App and copying the ESD file into that folder allowed the steps below to work. Maybe I shouldn't have done a drag n drop inside a 'view package contents' finder window. Anyhow was able to load up the ISO installer however but when I selected the afps drive to install to got an error message on screen that said 'Installer damaged. Please try downloading again' or something like that. So not sure what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

1: First download macOS Big Sur installer from App Store or if elsewhere and put it in /Applications folder

2: Make the tmp volume
sudo hdiutil create -o /tmp/BigSur -size 17600m -volname BigSur -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J

3: Mounted the disk image
sudo hdiutil attach /tmp/BigSur.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/BigSur

4: Used the disk image as destination for creating installer using Mac App Store download
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/BigSur --nointeraction

4a. sudo hdiutil detach /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur/ -force

5: Convert the tmp image to cdr file
hdiutil convert /tmp/BigSur.dmg -format UDTO -o ~/Downloads/BigSur.cdr

6: Convert the CDR to ISO by renaming it
mv -v ~/Downloads/BigSur.cdr ~/Downloads/BigSur.iso

7: Do with the ISO whatever you want, for me it is for creating virtual machine

8: Eject the original mounted volume or reboot Mac and the volume will eject
hdiutil eject -force /Volumes/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur

9: Reboot will clear this automatically or you delete the tmp file manually
sudo rm -rf /tmp/BigSur.dmg

Just wanted to add here that I was able to finally build an ISO file. Had to use my real Macbook Pro to download from App Store the full 13gb install file. On my other hackintosh running Catalina it would only download the stub download installer and not the full file for some reason. Also using that Sus-inspector app was able to download full packages but I think the mistake I made was that I didn't run it and if I did I think that would have created the full app installer file. Copying the DMG on my own to the ShareSupport folder was probably the mistake I made. Thanks.

• Like 1