Monterey on Lenovo P340tiny / M90Q - The even better Mini/Tiny Hackintosh.

rafale77

35 posts in this topic

Guest 5T33Z0

Love the dedication to tweak every last bit of this system.

I have a question about the VolatgeShift.kext since I use the same CPU. Did you modify the source code so it works with the i9 10850K? Because according to the github repo https://github.com/sicreative/VoltageShift this is for Haswell and Broadwell only.

14 minutes ago, 5T33Z0 said:

Love the dedication to tweak every last bit of this system.

I have a question about the VolatgeShift.kext since I use the same CPU. Did you modify the source code so it works with the i9 10850K? Because according to the github repo https://github.com/sicreative/VoltageShift this is for Haswell and Broadwell only.

I tweaked a bit for two reasons, none of which is making it compatible with Comet Lake:

1. I didn't want to mess with csrutil/SIP so I decided to base from this fork instead. It forces you to build it yourself with your own developer signature.

2. My own fork only updated yesterday changed the published revision to be 1.26 and match what that fork says.

I think the documentation is outdated. The undervolting is done exactly the same from Haswell all the way to Comet Lake at least. It is editing MSR register 0x150. I was looking at ways to do it permanently the same way we do CFGLock to avoid needing to re-edit it upon wake from sleep but apparently it gets overridden by the BIOS at every wake event.

For the adventurous and/or the curious. I am posting an ultra lean beta version of my EFI with a self built nightly version of OC 0.8.3.

A few changes Vs. 0.8.2 rev2:

Reverted WhateverGreen.kext to the official released version

Combined all the ACPI patches into a single SSDT as I don't see any change there for the foreseeable future.

Removed the content of the /EFI/Boot folder as I learned that it is no longer needed since OC 0.6.6 as the UEFI loads OpenCore.efi directly

Cleaned up all unnecessary /EFI/Tools and /EFI/Drivers.

Nearly all of the kexts are self-built on my machine and are smaller than the official ones even when built from the same source code.

Reminder also that my EFI is designed to mimic the feel of a real Mac: It has a boot chime and I do not default to display a opencanopy picker. Instead I enabled the applehotkeys to show the bootpicker only when asked. As a result I also removed almost all of the audio files.

This makes for an EFI size of <3MB. The leanest it has ever been to date.

Attached Versions:

• OpenCore 0.8.3 nightly build as of 7/18/22
  • Lilu.kext 1.6.2 self built 
  • WhateverGreen.kext 1.6.0
  • AppleALC.kext 1.7.4 Streamlined and self built 
  • IntelMausi.kext 1.0.8 Own version and self built
  • VirtualSMC 1.3.0
  • NVMeFix.kext 1.1.0

dGPU 0.8.3 beta.zip

Edited by rafale77

• 2 weeks later...

Posting 0.8.3 Release with some further optimization of the ACPI SSDT patching and USBMap.kext. Deleted the empty "boot" folder. Also recompiled updated kext at the highest optimization level.

Removed unnecessary default settings from config.plist and unnecessary WEG patches.

Edited by rafale77

• 1 month later...

I've got a couple of these in my homelab, and as a Mac IT person, it'd be amazeballs if I could do macOS on them.

So I love this idea.

I'm most nervous about shoehorning the WX4100 in there. You mention "removing the front WiFi antenna panel". Could you go into more detail about that?

• How did you remove it?
  • Does the case still close, or is it just an open hole in the front?

Thanks!

@AEZ2007 I hope @rafale77 returns.  He did a great job on this thread and has much to contribute.  In the meantime, if you're uncertain about the modifications necessary for the GPU, maybe you can start by using the iGPU.

Edited by deeveedee

On 9/17/2022 at 2:59 PM, deeveedee said:

@AEZ2007 I hope @rafale77 returns.  He did a great job on this thread and has much to contribute.  In the meantime, if you're uncertain about the modifications necessary for the GPU, maybe you can start by using the iGPU.

Dang. Didn't know he'd stepped out.

I agree 100%, this is an awesome idea. I've procured a P340 to replace my (existing) P330, based on this.  I've done some weird hardware rigs but never at the "cut a piece out" level. Maybe it'll be obvious when I'm looking at it.

I'll document it opened up and (if) I do a teardown, I'll document that, too. 

Edited by AEZ2007