[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.7.9 > 0.8.0 differences

miliuco

5 posts in this topic

OpenCore 0.8.0 is out.  OpenCore and kexts are available in Acidanthera

The release of OpenCore version 0.8.0 has been delayed to fix some issues with debugging and serial port. In addition to this, the main changes are:

• Better explanations for SetApfsTrimTimeout. On macOS 12+, it is no longer possible to specify trim timeout for APFS filesystems. However, it can be disabled by setting SetApfsTrimTimeout=0. When APFS trim timeout is set to 0, trim is disabled even when System Information says that it's enabled.
  • Aquantia AQtion based 10GbE network cards support.
  • Early log preservation support.
  • Build: switched to Python 3 in build scripts (see Acidanthera bugtracker issue 1980).

config.plist

Kernel >> Quirks:

• added ForceAquantiaEthernet (Boolean): This option enables Aquantia AQtion based 10GbE network cards support, which used to work natively before macOS 10.15.4. Note: When this option is enabled, DisableIoMapper must be disabled and VT-d must be enabled in BIOS. Default is False.
  • added CustomPciSerialDevice (Boolean): for XNU to correctly recognise customised external PCI serial devices. By default, serial logging is disabled. For this patch to be correctly applied, the new option Misc >> Serial >> Override must be enabled with all keys properly set in the optional Misc >> Serial >> Custom dictionary. Default is False.

Misc >> Debug >> removed SerialInit (Boolean).

Misc >> added Serial (Dictionary): this option will perform serial port initialisation. Default as provided in Sample.plist file. To fix Acidanthera bugtracker issue 1954: SerialInit does not work for all serial ports. There are 2 keys under Serial:

• Init (default False): this option will perform serial port initialisation within OpenCore prior to enabling (any) debug logging
  • Override (default False): this option overrides serial port properties.

When Override=True, Misc >> Serial >> Custom dictionary must be added and properly set (see SampleCustom.plist). Most of us don't need the Custom section.

Kexts

• AppleALC 1.7.1 (fixes, new layouts)
  • CPUFriend 1.2.6 (fixes)
  • CpuTscSync 1.0.9 (fixed boot-arg -cputsclock)
  • DebugEnhancer 1.0.7 (remove redundant code)
  • FeatureUnlock 1.0.9 (added Macmini8,1 support)
  • Lilu 1.6.1 (fix compilation on Xcode 12.3.1).

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

@PMheart

Thanks for the reminder. As you say, the impact is mostly on the boot.

Some users have reported that setting SetApfsTrimTimeout=0 in Monterey has significantly shortened the boot time with certain disks. It is not my case since the boot is just as fast with 0 and with -1 (Samsung 870 EVO). 

Anyway, thanks for your work.

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

Note: There have been a few changes in Lilu during the month of April, anticipating version 1.6.1, check this out.

I have taken for granted that 1.6.1 was going to be released together with OpenCore 0.8.0 but I see that it has not been like that and that the official version is still 1.6.0.

3 hours ago, miliuco said:

@PMheart

Thanks for the reminder. As you say, the impact is mostly on the boot.

Some users have reported that setting SetApfsTrimTimeout=0 in Monterey has significantly shortened the boot time with certain disks. It is not my case since the boot is just as fast with 0 and with -1 (Samsung 870 EVO). 

Anyway, thanks for your work.

Yes, I have heard of the same thing. If -1 (i.e. no patch will be applied) just works, then do not bother with SetApfsTrimTimeout.

Regarding Lilu, the changes were made for compatibility only; users should not be messed up with that.

• Like 1