Help Installing Big Sur on Xeon-D 1581 E5 v4 (16core/32Threads) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family

onibla

27 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I need your help. After several hours I'm able to start Big Sur on this machine:

CPU: Intel Xeon-D (Broadwell-E) 1581

Mainboard: GXD2-ITX (unknown) https://www.amazon.it/HUNSN-Computer-Windows-GeForce-GTX1650/dp/B08X3FD4KL)

Ram: 32GB Kingston Viper

Video: Sapphire R7 250 (Cape Verde)(injected with SSDT-GPU-SPOOF.aml)

Audio: ALC 4030 chip (Activated with voodooHDA)

WiFi: Intel dual band 3168NGW

But the system freeze after 5 minutes...I'm not able to solve this problem!!! IM becoming crazy 

CPUFriend.kext has been generate with ./CPUFriendFriend.command and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext has been generated with  ./ResourceConverter.sh --kext /Users/osx/Desktop/ssdt.aml trying to manage 16 core. But I have no functional speedstep. The processor is ever at 1.8GHz also configuring TDP.

Attached my EFI, my Darwin dumper and my bootlog.

957287393_Schermata2021-11-16alle23_12_56.thumb.png.6645c9170bc14ac469b62eba9f33a7be.png

823739907_Schermata2021-11-16alle23_26_15.thumb.png.3bf2cf0f20afaf38044bc29345b36a3a.png

434712577_Schermata2021-11-16alle22_40_23.png.a25a36592915b2f5636eb179125b1215.png

EFI.zip bootlog.zip DarwinDumper.webarchive.zip

Amazing find and amazing pick! :shock:

Some crazy manufacturer has forcefully turned a Xeon D-1581 for edge servers into a desktop… and is selling the whole thing, including a GTX1650, for less than 700 E while any Supermicro X10SDV-16C motherboard retails for about 2300E!!! Neither the rationale nor the economics make any sense to me.

It's already remarkable that you boot at all, especially with a Nvidia GTX spoofed as an AMD Radeon ( :shock: ). Realistically, this machine should be used with High Sierra and the last web drivers—I suppose the GPU cannot be swapped.

The multiple CPU entries suggest that SSDT-UNC is needed to remove three of four sockets present in the DSDT.

Edited by etorix
update

Thanks etorix for reply.

Yes seems to be a very nice desktop...I have changed Nvidia with real R7 250 to have metal support.

I have already added UNC patch boot the system and patch testing both with CPUid1Data: C3060300 00000000 00000000 00000000 that D4060300 00000000 00000000 00000000 to boot the system, but the freeze problem persist

So the GPU can be changed, despite the fixed back connectors. This is getting more and more intriguing.

Pity this machine is crippled with 2* SO-DIMM slots and a Realtek 1 GbE NIC (the Xeon-D SoC only needs a X557 PHY to provide server-grade 10 GbE)…

Cooling may also be an issue. Even a 35 W Xeon D-1528 benefits from active cooling; a D-1581 should require more airflow than can be provided by the slits of the case.

Is there any kernel panic associated with the freeze? Any hint as to the cause?

Looking at the DSDT, I see no EC0 (it just needs a fake EC). I've found the system bus; there is a MCHC already. X99-CP00-XCPM.aml does nothing: It uses a wrong path for the processor, lacks its associated DTGP method; and, as far as I understand, if it worked, it would just duplicate what's already done by SSDT-PLUG. But none of that could explain the freeze.

SSDT-EC-USBX.aml SSDT-SBUS.aml

• Like 1

@etorix thank you very much for the reply.

Performing a fresh install on another ssd I have solved the freeze problem.

Now remains the CPU manage issue. 

I have disabled X99-CP00-XCPM.aml and use your .aml files (SSDT-EC-USBX.aml and SSDT-SBUS.aml)

I have already generated CPUFriend.kext and CPUFriendDataProvider.kext but nothing is changed. The same with ssdt-CPU.aml generated by ssdtPRGen.

1535182344_Schermata2021-11-17alle23_12_56.thumb.png.cb402243dac99d48af27c3c7208c4c87.png

I not have speedstep and utilization is ever at 99%.

How I can resolve these issue? There are other ways? 

Is it useful to make Bios screenshots of CPU management?

Thanks again

ssdt-CPU.aml

Edited by onibla

As I imagined, SSDT-Spoof does not work as you see addresses are different so SSDT is not read

I show you some examples in photos

93616392_Schermata2021-11-19alle07_41_36.png.2d0217378cbed28628fd1deb96bec38f.png

Schermata 2021-11-19 alle 07.44.57.png

If you want to fix the problems plaguing your hack you have to give the EFI a clean up. Example you have DSDT with various patches built in, but at the same time you use rename _DSM to XDSM in configplist. This is bad because you undo all DSM patches built into DSDT

Schermata 2021-11-19 alle 07.48.55.png

Schermata 2021-11-19 alle 07.50.06.png

Edited by Baio77
  • Like 1

@onibla Can you provide the complete original ACPI tables?

Use OpenCore DEBUG with Misc>Debug>SysReport: True and Target: 67; NO patched DSDT under ACPI. Then zip and post the SysReport folder recovered from the EFI partition. It is not necessary to successfully boot.

This would help understand your configuration and how to reproduce it "the OpenCore way", with SSDTs and little or no patches.

@etorix please find attached the ACPI origin extracted using clover 5122 by F4 at boot 

ACPI origin HSUNS.zip

PS: If necessary and not sufficient I will extract them also using OC procedure suggested by you as soon I get home!!!!!

@Baio77 as soon as I get home I will try to boot it following your suggestions and I'll update you...

Thanks again

• Like 1

Thanks! Either method gets the same table. An OpenCore SysReport would provide a list and devices and their PCI path (as PCIInfo.txt), but this information is already available from the IOReg.

I'll have a look at this (and try to resist pulling the trigger on a barebone BM29… even desperately crippled by the motherboard, it's incredible to get a system for less than half the likely list price of the D-1581 alone).

Attached a clean copy of EFI folder that I'm using now.

Almost all seems to be ok except the CPU management as showed in the picture. Frequency locked and utilization at 99% 🤔

CPU.thumb.png.8311382e98843d621fa1f2fb3670876f.png

in bootlog i noted

kernel: (IOPlatformPluginFamily) X86PlatformPlugin::getCPUCStates - Unexpected data for C1

kernel: (IOPlatformPluginFamily) X86PlatformPlugin::getCPUCStates - Unexpected data for C1

kernel: (IOPlatformPluginFamily) X86PlatformPlugin::publishACPIStates - Failed to get max non-turbo PState. Set max non-turbo PState to default value 1

kernel: (IOPlatformPluginFamily) X86PlatformPlugin::publishACPIStates - Failed to get max non-turbo PState. Set max non-turbo PState to default value 1

EFI_clean.zip

Edited by onibla

Try generating a SSDT-PM using ssdtPRGen. But you have have to add this line to the broadwell.cfg inside the ssdtPRGen folder in the Library:

D-1585,65,500,1800,2400,16,32

Ypu should also drop CpuPm and Cpu0Ist before doing this.

Edited by 5T33Z0

@onibla That's one possible clue…

Have you checked in another OS that the CPU can actually reach turbo frequencies?

An issue (at least for me) is that you have a very Clover-ish setting with a modified DSDT and kernel patches. There are three xcpm patchs, a C6/C7 patch which could potentially mess up with power management, and an IOPCIFamily patch whose purpose is not apparent. I'd prefer to have a more typical OpenCore setting with only quirks and SSDTs, but it will be some time before I receive my BM29 (couldn't resist…).

Here is an EFI I would start with, based on OpenCore 0.7.5 and the default guide, which suggests iMacPro1,1; no enabled patch, no custom frequency vector (yet). Needs serial numbers and rename Sample.plist to config.plist.

Note: Keep your serial numbers private! Remove them before posting EFI folder or config.plist.

EFI.zip

Edited by etorix
added EFI

Excellent news!

From the EFI I see you have power management without CPUFriend and its data provider but that you've added a few ACPI renames and kernel patches. Could you comment on what they do?

@etorix Looks like he force-enabled X86 Platform plugin with a Kernel patch "Xcpm_bootstrap" so SSDT-Plug.aml works. But this also requires  AppleXcpmCfgLock and AppleXpmExtraMsrs Kernel Quirks to make the whol construct work.

Edited by 5T33Z0

Hi @etorix and @5T33Z0 and thank you again for the support.

DSM -> XDSM DSDT replacement patch seems to be necessary to inject SSDT on my configuration.

While I have activated FPU_->MATH, TMR_->TIMR based on origin DSDT. They seems to be necessary to recognize some variables (I don't know which ones) as real Mac. Disabling even just one of these patch I lost the CPUManagement.

Now I'm finalizing the last few things to improve it further, and then I'll test macOS Monterey!!!!

I'ii update soon

• Like 1