Can't boot into Big Sur 11.4 NVME Without Kernel Panic

12 posts in this topic

Mobo: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU: i7-6700k

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT

Bootloader: OpenCore 0.6.7

SMBIOS: iMac17,1

My primary Hackintosh drive is Big Sur on a Kingston HyperX Predator 240GB NVME SSD. Ever since I updated to Big Sur 11.4, I can't boot into it anymore without a kernel panic, which goes into an endless loop of what's in the code box below before breaking the cycle and restarting:

Spoiler

IOPlatformPanicAction -> IONVMEController
IOPlatformPanicAction -> APpleAHCIDiskDriver
IOPlatformPanicAction -> AppleSMC
IOPlatformPanicAction -> IONVMEController
IOPlatformPanicAction -> AppleSMC
Attempting system restart...

While trying to troubleshoot the issue myself, I noticed in other forums that later versions of Big Sur (11.3 and later, if I'm not mistaken) have broken support for NVME drives with certain iterations of Mac Pro.

Could the same be true of Hackintoshes that emulate the iMac17,1? That's the model closest to my actual setup, and the one I use in my SMBIOS.

If I can fix the issue and get into Big Sur 11.4, that'd be ideal, but I'm not opposed to just salvaging what data I can from my NVME drive and rolling back to 11.0.1. Most of my important data are on other drives anyway.

Right now, I've got Big Sur 11.0.1 on a 4TB Seagate Barracuda HDD as a rescue drive, but Migration Assistant is no good since the versions of each drive are mismatched.

Attached is a copy of my OpenCore bootloader with the Config.plist file scrubbed of any personally identifying markers. If you need any further information to help me fix or roll back my system, just let me know what you need and how to access it.

Thanks in advance, and until next time, stay foxy!
Foxy Gekkerson

Foxy Gekkerson OpenCore.zip

3 hours ago, Allan said:

Try this folder - from Olarila Forum

- CHIPSET SERIES 10, 20 (SKYLAKE / KABYLAKE)

Link: https://tinyurl.com/ydxd2tkb

This boot loader doesn't show my Mac or Windows SSDs as bootable options at all. The only options I see are my Time Machine backup, the rescue drive, its recovery partition, Toggle SIP, and Reset NVRAM.

I do like the UI, though. I couldn't get that to last when I compiled OpenCore myself.

10 hours ago, Foxy Gekkerson said:

This boot loader doesn't show my Mac or Windows SSDs as bootable options at all. The only options I see are my Time Machine backup, the rescue drive, its recovery partition, Toggle SIP, and Reset NVRAM.

I do like the UI, though. I couldn't get that to last when I compiled OpenCore myself.

To fix that is a piece of cake 😃

Look this guide

• Thanks 1

It's not that my SSDs aren't in the right order, they're not listed at all with the boot loader from the Olarila forum.

The value that Misc > Security > ScanPolicy was set to was already 2687747 when I put it in my EFI partition.

I even changed the value to OpenCore's default of 17760515, and the SSDs didn't show up then, either.

EDIT: I set the ScanPolicy key to 33496835 to allow everything just to see what would happen, and while my Windows SSD showed up again, my Mac SSD still did not.

Edited by Foxy Gekkerson
Added a new attempt to the current troubleshooting step.

Any luck going through that SendMe file?

I'm not opposed to wiping the Mac SSD and reinstalling Big Sur from scratch, but if you need more time, I can give it a few more days.

All my important data is sitting on other drives anyway.

If I were to wipe my Mac SSD now (the one that won’t boot/doesn’t show up in the new bootloader,) would I have to send a new RunMe zip file?

If reinstalling an earlier version of Big Sur has no impact on any information in that SendMe file, perhaps I could roll back my solid-state drive, and keep this thread open to see how or whether I can run Big Sur 11.4 or 11.5.

After all, this all started after I installed 11.4. I suspect that if I can’t run the latest version of Big Sur, I likely won’t be able to run Monterey when it comes out.

On the other hand, If wiping the drive would throw off the RunMe data I already sent, then I can hold off on doing that until after we resolve the issue at hand.