nvme drive divided in half one partition has Big Sur the other has Monterey

fuzzylogic

4 posts in this topic

As the title above i have a samsung nvme and divided it in two, one has Big Sur the other has Monterey how many efi folders do i need? is it one for each Os or can i use the same efi that i use for Big Sur to also run Monterey?

currently the drive works with one efi but i cannot get sound to work on Monterey Big Sur is on the first partition

how if i needed to create another partition for another efi folder? for Monterey? sound works fine on Big sur

any help with regard to above taking into account it is on the same nvme drive (both OS)

Thankyou

39 minutes ago, fuzzylogic said:

As the title above i have a samsung nvme and divided it in two, one has Big Sur the other has Monterey how many efi folders do i need? is it one for each Os or can i use the same efi that i use for Big Sur to also run Monterey?

currently the drive works with one efi but i cannot get sound to work on Monterey Big Sur is on the first partition

how if i needed to create another partition for another efi folder? for Monterey? sound works fine on Big sur

any help with regard to above taking into account it is on the same nvme drive (both OS)

Thankyou

See the section on bootloaders and partitioning.

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/346639-updated-tips-and-observations-for-big-sur-and-monterey-b2/

If you don't require a different config.plist/kexts to boot Big Sur or Monterey you can use the same bootloader.

If you have kexts or a config.plist different for each you can use multiple EFIs.

Using clover, you can also use same kexts but differently named config.plists and choose which config.plist you want to boot from.

You can, for instance, make one EFI for Big Sur and another for Monterey.  Does not matter whether you use clover or open core.

You can chainload them with GRUB2 or Refind.

Edited by HenryV

You have different options what to do but basicly you may create ONE EFI partition with ONE bootloader and ONE config. Put all your kext in ONE folder "Other" and all drivers in ONE folder "drivers".

You will boot as many systems as you have: Linux, BigSur, Monterey, Windows from this ONE bootloader configuration. 

See screen

screenshot2.png

Thankyou to you both for taking the time out to help me, I was having some odd issues where Big Sur would not pick up my bluetooth yet Monterey would yet both using the same efi folder, with of course the drivers, kernel extensions and apic

and same config plist, the other oddity was Big Sur sound works fine all devices present, yet Monterey no sound! i appreciate its a new operating system and will take time to mature.

nice boot loader Slice, makes a note to self Slice is using Clover! 

cheers