VoodooPS2 by Acidanthera

17 posts in this topic

Just thought I’d switch to acidanthera’s voodoops2 from rehabmans but touchpad does not work in Big Sur or Monterey on my laptop although it is detected but trackpad does not function.
What can I post to debug this?

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 8.46.56 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 8.47.09 pm.png

Edited by SavageAUS

Do you have VoodooInput, and is it attaching to ApplePS2SynapticsTrackpad?
Also, does it say in ioreg (under ApplePS2SynapticsTrackpad) whether or not it has "Intertouch support"? That generally means that the trackpad also works over SMBus, which can send a lot more info and has better multitouch support (much better than Rehabman's and Acidanthera's VoodooPS2)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2b2314f82be3377aa4dee34f50b6eecf.png

If the above is true, you may also find an entry with GPIO data which is used by VoodooRMI (My SMBus driver for Synaptics trackpads)

Spoiler

image.png.626339c5e476be0905ece640dcf29d5f.png

Edited by 1Revenger1

The easy option is just to use rehabmans kext seeing as that one works but that hasn’t been updated since 2018. And if rehabmans one works that means it’s not i2c yeah?
I’ll check ioreg tonight for other infos.
Keyboard works and trackpad is detected but cursor doesn’t move nor click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen some trackpads work over both PS2 and I2C (and I've also seen the opposite where it works on I2C but not PS2)
The PS2 tends to be a fallback I've found, which I'm guessing is used in the BIOS and other legacy places.

Smbus is a little wacky, the trackpad works over PS2 just fine. But the SMBus driver can start up and use the trackpad, though this requires some information from the PS2 side (the GPIO information I showed above). Plus the trackpad can only be reset over PS2 as far as I can tell looking at the synaptics source. Synaptic SMBus trackpads are weird since unlike the I2C trackpads, they rely on things over PS2 lol

Edited by 1Revenger1

Ok i have found this info looking at my ioreg.

Trackpad still not working in Monterey but working in Bis Sur except the "click" buttons do not function. Only tapping on the touchpad.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 10.17.09 pm.png

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 10.17.24 pm.png

Edited by SavageAUS

I got it working in Monterey by using SSDT-XOSI and it’s relevant patch but that seems sub optimal and the “click” buttons on my trackpad don’t work (they work with rehabmans version)
Windows is working fine from what I can see but yet to test Big Sur.

I think I’ll just go back to using rehabmans kext rather than adding multiple kexts. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it right?
I even tried with OpenCore but it still didn’t so I’m going back to Clover as well.

31 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I think I’ll just go back to using rehabmans kext rather than adding multiple kexts. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it right?
I even tried with OpenCore but it still didn’t so I’m going back to Clover as well.

Was VoodooInput attaching? Filtering by PS2 won't show it underneath those drivers. Acidanther's VoodooPS2 sends trackpad data to VoodooInput, which spoofs a Magic Trackpad 2.

And eh, atleast on my device, Acidanthera's never worked particularly great. I noticed delay while tapping with 2 fingers, and generally just didn't feel as good compared to SMBus.

I never tried Rehabman's I guess, but some gestures like the notification center don't work. I use the Alps one which works on a similar principle to Rehabman's and I wouldn't say it's amazing (then again, the Alps trackpad sucks on my M4700)

I'm definitely biased towards VoodooRMI mostly because I'm the dev, but it's definitely nice having some things work like force touch for renaming files. It feels a lot like my Magic Trackpad 2. If you've got time to mess with it, I'd definitely encourage trying at least.

Edited by 1Revenger1

So after kernel panics I’ve just reverted to using rehabmans kext which works in big sur and Monterey and back to clover. I guess the kext from rehabman hasn’t had an update because it doesn’t need one.
I would try harder to get Acidantheras kext to work if the “click” buttons actually worked but they don’t which I guess is by design for “Mac like”.

• 1 year later...

Not sure where to post this, so I'll piggyback on your thread, @SavageAUS.  I am using VoodooPS2 v2.3.0 (including VoodooPS2Trackpad) with my HP Envy Synaptics Trackpad and the gesture support is amazing.  Well done developers!

• 5 months later...

@1Revenger1 Thanks for everything you're doing with VoodooPS2!  It's working perfectly on all of my hacks.  Your most recent updates included "Fix reset flags" here.  Would you mind explaining when we should be using boot-arg ps2rst=0?  I see this comment: "- Added `ps2rst=0` boot-arg for select CFL laptop compatibility" but I'm still not sure when to use the boot-arg.

Thank you!

I'm not really sure when you should use it. If it works as it is right now, then you don't need the boot argument.

Setting ps2rst=0 prevents the PS/2 devices from being reset on boot and wakeup, which seems a bit weird to me (especially in the case of hibernation).

It would be good to know why the boot-arg is needed in the first place, since it controls whether the PS/2 controller and devices are reset on boot/wakeup.

Edited by 1Revenger1
  • Thanks 1