Big Sur - bootable Carbon Copy - How

mengshi

2 posts in this topic

Hmm. Apparently there are some significant changes to Big Sur I just found out from: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/help-my-clone-wont-boot

Can some one provide a step-by-step instruction on how to do this on a hackintosh? I need to reformat my installation due to a partition error reported by DiskUtil (cannot be repaired by it).

What's the easiest way? boot from a bootable clone and then clone back to the SSD?

Thanks

12 hours ago, mengshi said:

Hmm. Apparently there are some significant changes to Big Sur I just found out from: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/help-my-clone-wont-boot

U

Can some one provide a step-by-step instruction on how to do this on a hackintosh? I need to reformat my installation due to a partition error reported by DiskUtil (cannot be repaired by it).

What's the easiest way? boot from a bootable clone and then clone back to the SSD?

Thank

If you clone Big Sur sector by sector for a backup you could clone it back.  Cloning will retain the APFS volume UUIDs, as opposed to producing a different bootable copy.  If you only have a partition table error and you have a backup to reinstall the partition table, your data should be available providing you did not otherwise alter (resize, delete, add) your GUID/GPT partition configuration.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Bootmanagers and bootloders and partitioning
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A warning about partitioning.

There are numerous well known third party partitioning programs, including those running on windows, that can alter the partiton table in such a way as to render your APFS containers unrecognizable and unbootable.  Whenever possible use the mac OS Disk Utility to do your partitoning, and do so after you have backed up your partition table with a suitable utility.  One such free utility for linux is sgdisk.  You can boot a live linux distro from USB, and backup/restore your hard drive (example: /dev/sda) GPT partition table to/from USB media as follows:

backup:  sudo sgdisk --backup=/path/to/USB/sda_partition_table_01.01.2021 /dev/sda
restore: sudo sgdisk --load-backup=/path/to/USB/sda_partition_table_01.01.2021 /dev/sda