Help!! Thunderbolt install issue

phirus

6 posts in this topic

Dear readers,

Because I have to upgrade my sound card from firewire to thunderbolt in my studio, I bought the gb titan ridge 2.0 .. I built my hackintosh myself using the Gortania (OC 0.6.5) manual ... I myself have no experience with thunderbolt on hackintosh .. my question can you help me give some tips to get this card working ...
Is it also possible without installing Windows, for example?

My hardware:

- GB Z490 UD Mainboard
- i9 10850K 3600 MHz processor
- 16 GB 3200 MHZ DDR4 Memory
- Saphire RX 580 Pulse DDR5 8 GB Graphics

- Be Quiet dark rock 4 (CPU Cooler)
650 Watt Corsair RM650x PSU (80+ Gold
-UAD Apollo Firewire

I would be very helpful if someone can advise me on this matter ..

Thank you very much in advance ..

Greeting,

Dennis

1 hour ago, phirus said:

Wow .. seriously ??? Do you really need to do this to get a Thunderbolt pci card to work in a hackintosh ???

Yes and no…

You don't need to act on the green chip, but for a full Thunderbolt node, as on real Macs, you further need to make a SSDT with the custom DROM that has been flashed to the blue chip. There are tutorials for this on another-forum-which-shall-not-be-named, including a repository of modified firmwares and a discussion of flashing devices (you want one which outputs 3.3V, not 5V).

I activated Thunderbolt on my C246-WU4 without touching Windows, but I did went through making my own DROM and its matching SSDT and flashing my CG-TitanRidge.

1 hour ago, etorix said:

Yes and no…

You don't need to act on the green chip, but for a full Thunderbolt node, as on real Macs, you further need to make a SSDT with the custom DROM that has been flashed to the blue chip. There are tutorials for this on another-forum-which-shall-not-be-named, including a repository of modified firmwares and a discussion of flashing devices (you want one which outputs 3.3V, not 5V).

I activated Thunderbolt on my C246-WU4 without touching Windows, but I did went through making my own DROM and its matching SSDT and flashing my CG-TitanRidge.

Thank you for your reply... but when I dualboot Windows and update the firmware... after that the card will work in MacOS?? 

I have not used the Windows method, so I cannot on what you may achieve. It may be enough to register Thunderbolt in the BIOS and allow some support in OS X (typically: no hot plug but TB devices which were present at boot time work).

Flashing the controller chip is the recommended method for full Thunderbolt support in OS X. Yes, it feels daunting and scary…