Booting Opencore ends with "Unsupported PCH" and "gIOScreenlockstate"

Philipp_Dahobo

36 posts in this topic

Hello fellows!

I have a problem booting from the USB installer.

My setup:

• Opencore latest version
  • MacOS Catalina
  • Lenovo Thinkpad p15v (2021)
  • Intel i7-10750h (Comet lake)
  • Intel UHD 630
  • Nvidia Quadro P620
  • 16 GB RAM DDR4

Now I know that Nvidia dGPU's cause problems, but I disabled it in the config.plist (at least I think I did...).

I followed Dortania's Opencore guide for Comet Lake Laptops carefully, cannot find any errors.

If somebody wants to help me, I'd be glad to at least know the problem.

Maybe it is not the GPU. I honestly don't know what "unsupported PCH" means...

I attached my EFI folder and the screenshot which I get when trying to boot from the USB....:

EFI: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnzaEQ6O8kBvBzrnLE0oZ6lLDZeSHBlD/view?usp=sharing

Error Screenshot: https://ibb.co/pbR2wGk

Thank you!!

IMG-20210413-231648.jpg

Edited by Philipp_Dahobo

17 hours ago, Hervé said:

Don't worry about the "Unsupported PCH" warning, that's without impact.

As stated by Slice, the last message you see on screen with "gIOScreenLockState" is indicative of graphics not initialising. Boot therefore gets stuck at that point. You're gonna need to revise the properties you inject for the iGPU of your Hackintosh.

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/intel-gpu.html#kabylake-refresh-coffee-lake-cometlake-8xxx-9xxx

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.IntelHD.en.md

It'd be better if you could directly attach a zipped copy of your EFI folder (you may remove the resources subfolder) rather than a link to a non-public Google Drive that requires authorisation to access. I gave up at that point...

Thank you for replying and sorry for that, I couldn't get the zip smaller than 10 MB. I changed the Google Drive file to public.

EDIT: I see that I have to modify some entries in the config.plist. What I at least did right: I only put in the Lilu and WhateerGreen Kexts, none of the other. I will try this and report back if something changed, thank you!

Edited by Philipp_Dahobo

On 4/16/2021 at 2:33 PM, Hervé said:

Just checked the EFI in the now-public Google Drive: no WhateverGreen kext and no reference to it in your OC config file. That's the 1st mistake. 2nd mistake is that there are absolutely no (zero) injected properties for your UHD 630 iGPU. This explains why you're getting stuck at graphics initialisation.

Make sure you add WEG kext to your OC setup (I understand you've done it now) and inject the necessary properties for your iGPU as per the info available through the links I provided earlier.

I made the changes and it goes on now but I get a Kernel Panic... Not sure if I injected everything right. This is, what I got:

IMG_20210418_150230.jpg

This is my new EFI folder:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HwPWA-UZz5ge5KJgXlpQNIMFOgIIaLaA/view?usp=sharing

PS: I just went through the guide again for the config.plist and saw that they have three entries with "framebuffer" in that section which I don't have. On the other side I have an entry "layout-id" which they don't have. Anyway - I added those three frambuffer entries. But I cannot find information about what values I have to put in. Maybe this is the reason for my Kernel Panic now? 

DeviceProperties

Edited by Philipp_Dahobo

On 4/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, Philipp_Dahobo said:

I made the changes and it goes on now but I get a Kernel Panic... Not sure if I injected everything right. This is, what I got:

IMG_20210418_150230.jpg

This is my new EFI folder:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HwPWA-UZz5ge5KJgXlpQNIMFOgIIaLaA/view?usp=sharing

PS: I just went through the guide again for the config.plist and saw that they have three entries with "framebuffer" in that section which I don't have. On the other side I have an entry "layout-id" which they don't have. Anyway - I added those three frambuffer entries. But I cannot find information about what values I have to put in. Maybe this is the reason for my Kernel Panic now? 

DeviceProperties

I made it into the Installer! Had to fix some minor things in DeviceProperties. Now everything works fine as I notice.

Only exceptions:

- Drag and drop gestures with the trackpad are a bit buggy. (Scrolling and all other gestures work fine)

- My old USB Logitech mouse doesn't work. 

- graphic Acceleration doesn't seem to work (I notice that the interface doesn't behave 100% smooth)

Edited by Philipp_Dahobo

Hello, I'm a hackintosh noob running similar hardware (Lenovo Thinkpad, 10th gen Comet Lake CPU with Intel UHD 630 graphics) and using Opencore I've found myself in a similar situation (no graphics acceleration after a graphics-related pre-install issue) so I was hoping to compare notes.

I'm running Big Sur on my Lenovo as opposed to Catalina, which may be the cause of some of the issues I've encountered but here goes:
For me, I needed the -igfxvesa boot argument to get to the installer. (Thank you Slice and 1Revenger1!) You haven't posted your EFI after the success so I assume that's what worked for you as well.
I've been running 0x3E9B0007 as my framebuffer for most of my attempts because it has the most favorable outcome out of all the framebuffers when I boot without -igfxvesa (black screen as opposed to a forced reboot) and haven't specified a device-id to spoof as my iGPU's device-id, 0x9BC4,  is natively supported according to the Whatevergreen docs.
I've also been putting the framebuffer info underneath PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2, 0x0) as opposed to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b, 0x0) because that's where my iGPU is, and where I assume yours would be as well.

There are multiple ways to disable your dGPU, and I don't see any of them in the latest EFI you posted but the simplest way is using the -wegnoegpu boot argument.

Lastly, here's a post on reddit about a success with a working iGPU on a Comet Lake P15, even if it's a Xeon instead of a Core:

You'll be able to find my own post asking for help on this site as well if you wish to read it. If you have any more information about enabling GPU acceleration with a Comet Lake CPU and Intel UHD Graphic I'd be happy to hear it, and if you have any questions please go ahead and ask. Good luck!

EDIT: I got graphics acceleration and all the graphics drivers working on my iGPU a while ago but forgot to share the info here for anyone who might be interested in it.
I wound up using framebuffer 0x3EA60005 with the enable-max-link-rate-fix iGPU property and a device-id of 0x3EA6. The framebuffer would give me a black screen after the boot process if I didn't include the enable-max-link-rate-fix, and without the device-id graphics acceleration would "work" at first but Photos and other graphics-heavy apps would crash on launch, and certain webpages such as Amazon.com would work for a second then fail with a non-descriptive error message.
Hope this helps someone.

Edited by xefyr0
Update with more information
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Philipp_Dahobo said:

I made it into the Installer! Had to fix some minor things in DeviceProperties. Now everything works fine as I notice.

Only exceptions:

- Drag and drop gestures with the trackpad are a bit buggy. (Scrolling and all other gestures work fine)

- My old USB Logitech mouse doesn't work. 

- graphic Acceleration doesn't seem to work (I notice that the interface doesn't behave 100% smooth)

Try here for a match or close match:

https://github.com/topics/hackintosh?o=desc&s=updated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xefyr0 said:

Hello, I'm a hackintosh noob running similar hardware (Lenovo Thinkpad, 10th gen Comet Lake CPU with Intel UHD 630 graphics) and using Opencore I've found myself in a similar situation (no graphics acceleration after a graphics-related pre-install issue) so I was hoping to compare notes.

I'm running Big Sur on my Lenovo as opposed to Catalina, which may be the cause of some of the issues I've encountered but here goes:
For me, I needed the -igfxvesa boot argument to get to the installer. (Thank you Slice and 1Revenger1!) You haven't posted your EFI after the success so I assume that's what worked for you as well.
I've been running 0x3E9B0007 as my framebuffer for most of my attempts because it has the most favorable outcome out of all the framebuffers when I boot without -igfxvesa (black screen as opposed to a forced reboot) and haven't specified a device-id to spoof as my iGPU's device-id, 0x9BC4,  is natively supported according to the Whatevergreen docs.
I've also been putting the framebuffer info underneath PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2, 0x0) as opposed to PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1b, 0x0) because that's where my iGPU is, and where I assume yours would be as well.

There are multiple ways to disable your dGPU, and I don't see any of them in the latest EFI you posted but the simplest way is using the -wegnoegpu boot argument.

Lastly, here's a post on reddit about a success with a working iGPU on a Comet Lake P15, even if it's a Xeon instead of a Core:

You'll be able to find my own post asking for help on this site as well if you wish to read it. If you have any more information about enabling GPU acceleration with a Comet Lake CPU and Intel UHD Graphic I'd be happy to hear it, and if you have any questions please go ahead and ask. Good luck!

Hello!

I also used -wegnoegpu. But on the same try I also changed some other entries so I cannot determine whether the -wegnoegpu entry or one of the other changes brought me to this little success. I did not post my EFI folder yet because I do not count it as a real success. I want to try some kexts first to get my USB mouse and mousepad working properly (drag and drop especially). But here you have it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nXx3q45Yp4g6JCRqu46QlDt4WGZzgtul/view?usp=sharing

I will post every update here. 

By the way, Thinkpads sometimes have that Intel SST Audio. As by Dortania stated, this is never going to work on MacOS. Wonder if anybody has a solution for that...

I tried to play music in Safari on the installation screen, but it would not even play so I could not test audio. However, I have an USB audio interface, so I could compensate this.

Good luck for you!

Edited by Philipp_Dahobo

On 4/21/2021 at 3:50 PM, Philipp_Dahobo said:

By the way, Thinkpads sometimes have that Intel SST Audio. As by Dortania stated, this is never going to work on MacOS. Wonder if anybody has a solution for that...

This might not be true.
I have Intel SST Audio as well, and looking at the product spec for the P15 vs. the X1 Extreme, we share the same audio chip & codec. (ALC 3286, which is actually ALC 285 under the hood)
I managed to get sound coming out of my speakers & headphone jack with comparatively little effort, even if the microphone array doesn't work and the headphone jack's input remains untested.

In my case, the PCI address for the sound card was PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3) and layout-id 11 works perfectly fine. That said, I can't guarantee that these will be the same for your system so I recommend you double check the PCI address with gfxutil and test the other layout-ids to see if any of them work better than mine does for me.

You can just follow the Dortania guide using that info and it should work out. One think you should take note of is the alcid=XXX boot argument. (In the EFI you just shared, it's alcid=1) It overrides whatever you set in DeviceProperties so it's easier to use for debugging purposes, but it can interfere with your attempts to configure audio.

Good luck!

EDIT: I later discovered that the headphone jack input on my machine works, but only under layout-id 61. 

Edited by xefyr0
Update
  • Like 1

I successfully installed and have a quite fully working Hackintosh - except I cant geht HDMI to work. Neither via fallback to HDMI 1.4 nor via LSPCON (but maybe I made a mistake there). At least all dispalys are connected wo iGPU (verified in Windows).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hervé said:

It's the same thing slice. Basically, Intel recycled UHD6x0 graphics of Kaby Lake R/Coffee Lake in Comet Lake.

• Comet Lake "H" mobile CPUs -> UHD630 graphics
  • Comet Lakje "U" mobile CPUs -> UHD620 graphics

Compare two CometLake processors

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=203899,201905

One has UHD630, other "graphics for 10th...".

The integrated laptop display works out of the box. 

One thing that confuses me about Intel GPU patching: According to Intel ARK my iGPU is 0x9BC4. But WEG IntelHD (Comet Lake) lists the closest framebuffer 0x9BC40003 as desktop graphics. So I sticked with the recommended 0x3EA50009 for laptops, for UHD 630 - which is according to Wikipedia the GPU of i7 10750H.

But I am completely stuck at GPU patching. Framebuffer@1 is my HDMI port - but either the Laptop panics/freezes/stays black or the HDMI port does not work. I would be happy to have at least HDMI 1.4 working :/

Big thanks for the help!!! I attached my latest (working, but no HDMI) config

config.plist

Edited by vadammt

8 hours ago, Hervé said:

Absolutely. And Comet Lake desktop CPUs generally show UHD630 graphics too in ARK Intel data.

But there is widespread literature on the Web stating that "Intel UHD graphics for 10th gen processors" is basically just a name for what is effectively recycling of Coffee Lake UHD6x0 graphics (itself a recycling of Kaby Kale R graphics). This is applied to mobile CML "H" and "U" CPUs. It gets a little more confusing when you realise that, in rare cases, some of those CPUs even have a GT1 iGPU version:

• "U" CPUs have 23 to 24xEUs -> UHD620 (GT2)
  • "H" CPUs have 23 to 24xEUs -> UHD630 (GT2)
  • some rare "U" or "H" CPUs (eg: i5-10200H) have 12xEUs -> UHD610 (GT1)

As a general rule (but there are rare exceptions of course!), Pentium&Celeron have a 12xEUs iGPU, i3 CPUs have a 23xEUs iGPU and i5/i7/i9 have a 24xEUs IGPU. See attached Intel UHD Graphics Programmers Reference Manual for Comet Lake CPUs:

Intel UHD Graphics Open Source. Programmer's Reference Manual.pdf 475.21 kB · 2 downloads

If you say that KabyLake and CoffeeLake graphics are the same then why there are two different set of graphics kexts, KBL and CFL?

Maybe because 8th and 9th gen. Coffe Lake, Whiskey Lake and 10th gen. Comet Lake have very similar architecture:

Since Intel's 8th CPUs there are the same UHD model names:

• UHD 630 appears in 8th and 9th gen CFL and in 10th gen CML.
  • UHD 620 only appears in 8th gen Whiskey Lake, and 10th gen CML. 
  • UHD 610 appears from 8th to 10th gen in Celeron CPUs
  • UHD 645 and UHD 655 appears only in Coffe Lake, 8th and 9th gen. laptop CPUs (Coffee Lake H & Coffee Lake U)

Intel, this is confusing!

Source: Coffee Lake (8th, 9th gen)Whiskey Lake (8th gen)Comet Lake (10th gen) [Wikipedia]

Edited by vadammt

7 hours ago, vadammt said:

The integrated laptop display works out of the box. 

One thing that confuses me about Intel GPU patching: According to Intel ARK my iGPU is 0x9BC4. But WEG IntelHD (Comet Lake) lists the closest framebuffer 0x9BC40003 as desktop graphics. So I sticked with the recommended 0x3EA50009 for laptops, for UHD 630 - which is according to Wikipedia the GPU of i7 10750H.

But I am completely stuck at GPU patching. Framebuffer@1 is my HDMI port - but either the Laptop panics/freezes/stays black or the HDMI port does not work. I would be happy to have at least HDMI 1.4 working :/

Big thanks for the help!!! I attached my latest (working, but no HDMI) config

config.plistFetching info...hi .kext

If you can't find a better workaround here is a snippet of info about using CodecCommander to assist in enabling HDMI audio:

With IGPU and framebuffers configured for your grapics:

Open Package Contents in CodecCommander.kext and browse to info.plist.

Open info.plist with XML editor. Under IOKitPersonalities –> CodecCommander -> Codec Profile, change 8086’s String from Disable to Publish HDMI.

Next under “CodecCommanderPowerHook” ->Codec Profile -> change 8086’s String from Disabled HDMI to Publish HDMI. Then under Disabled HDMI -> Disable, change Disable Boolean to NO.

Next at “CodecCommanderVoodooHDA” -> Codec Profile ->8086, change 8086 String from Disable to Publish HDMI and Disable HDMI -> Disable Boolean from Yes to NO

HDMI device may only be listed when connected.

Edited by HenryV
add info

On 4/25/2021 at 7:14 PM, Hervé said:

Vadammt also appears to run with full graphics acceleration on his i7-10750H platform (that's my understanding of his post on p1), so I guess that definitely settles the matter on support for Comet Lake graphics.

Just one word to confirm: My iGPU is running with full hardware acceleration and working integrated display. Only the HDMI 2.0 port is driving me nuts.

I attached my current "stable" iGPU settings:

image.thumb.png.00fce91c73c19635fabee5f10299275f.png

Edited by vadammt

Though according to WEG IntelHD CML the DevID 0x9BC4 is natively supported, the closest framebuffer 0x9BC40003 ist listed as desktop with 0 Connectors. This is why I did not even think about an attempt wihout spoofing GPU. 

Native iGPU of Intel i7 10750H works with DevID 0x9BC4; framebuffer: 0x9BC40003 !  :)

Update: Delete image with wrong ig-platform and wrong device-id

The DPI scaling is broken and as 0x9BC40003 supports only one display. Nevertheless I think this is a big step forward and allows further investigation. Big THANK YOU!

Update:

I forgot to swap Hex of AAPL and DevID. It booted successful, but without hardware acceleration. Classic 02:00 in the morning problem -_- 

Edited by vadammt

1 hour ago, Hervé said:

try with the recommended CFL one (0x3EA50009) with no device-id 

Now when I think of it, my previous attempts make absolutely no sense :D Boot without device-id spoof works.

So, this really allows further investigations...

My current minimal working config (still with freeze on HDMI plug):

758314900_Screenshotfrom2021-04-2816-11-49.png.0adebc5fdede8b5a86309f9097c11c84.png

Some further insights, about the config I posted earlier:

• enable-max-pixel-clock-override: required - without boots, but very dark display
  • enable-hdmi-dividers-fix: optional - no difference, actually HDMI 2.0 still does not work
    • Note: "this fix is now succeeded by the LSPCON driver solution" [WEG]
  • disable-external-gpu: optional - no difference

Port-Configuration on Windows from Nvidia PhysX:

The Laptop has no DP. The monitor C32 was connected to the HDMI 2.0 port (from Lenovo Tech Specs)

Nvida-PhysX.thumb.PNG.fb339f4c9445aa8cdfb978d4c6329076.PNG

Edited by vadammt

Bad news: Without spoofing Device-ID certain apps crash. I think this might be related to hardware acceleration, because some apps work. Though the attached System Information, in particular metal support, suggests hardware acceleration is working. So I spoofed device-id again (that worked):

device-id    Data    9B3E0000

(some) Apps that do work:

• Chrome,
  • Electron based apps: VSCode, MS Teams
  • Apple: Mail, Calendar, Store

NOT working (crash log attached): 

• IORegistryExplorer
  • Photoshop 2021

Question:

4 hours ago, Hervé said:

Re: HDMI output, it could very well be that the port is actually physically wired to the nVidia dGPU (I've seen this in several/many other cases) in which case, you'd be screwed on that front.

I thought the Nvidia PhysX screenshot dispalys the "hardwired" display connection - in my case: Internal DP aka HDMI 2.0 is connected to iGPU?

image.png

Adobe Photoshop 2021 Crash Report.txt IORegistryExplorer Crash Report.txt

Edited by vadammt