GTX550Ti macOS High Serria install Web driver back screen

15 posts in this topic

Hi there, my mainboard is a MSI B85-G41 PC Mate, Graphic card iGame550Ti D5 1024M,Clover argument -v -nvda_drv=1,installed web driver.when finishes to load, the screen goes black but the Hackintosh is working.

Any way or tools to fix it? i upload the DSDT and config files here.

Please give me a hand.

many thanks,

lin

config.plist DSDT.aml

"-nvda_drv=1" is wrong.

"nvda_drv=1" is good.

Exclude agdpmod=pikera.

And try also set or unset  Graphics->Inject->Nvidia=YES or NO.

@ilovefifa The thing is GeForce GTX 550 Ti, including the iGame GTX 550 Ti, are Fermi cards so I don't believe the nVidia Web Driver is going to be of any use or help. Web Drivers usually are for generations of cards not natively supported in OS X/macOS (eg: Maxwell/Pascal in Sierra and High Sierra). Fermi cards are meant to be natively supported (OS X and macOS provide Fermi drivers) but such cards proved to have very poor/very buggy support beyond El Capitan. Maybe still Ok-ish in Sierra but definitely not in High Sierra. See the following threads:

You may also conduct a search on the Web or forum for GTX 550 in High Sierra and read the contents of the results.

Your Clover config also shows that you used:

• PciRoot=1 boot arg. I don't remember that to be a valid Clover boot arg (I could be wrong of course) but an old one for Chameleon/Enoch. This being said, I can't see why you'd want to change the address of your PCI Root bridge when it's clearly shown at @0 in the DSDT you posted.
  • Generate C States/Generate P States. That's for old CPUs such as Core2 or 1st gen Core i models, not for Haswell or Broadwell CPUs so you can remove these settings too.
  • AppleIntelCPUPM patch. Unnecessary because this is for Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge platforms. From Haswell platforms, CPU power management is no longer handled by AICPUPM kext but directly by the kernel, so what you require is the CpuPm patch which you have correctly applied.

Then, there is the matter of the graphics properties injected in the patched DSDT:

Device (PEG0)
        {
            Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)  // _ADR: Address
            Device (GFX0)
            {
                Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                {
                    Store (Package (0x18)
                        {
                            "@0,compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0B)
                            {
                                "NVDA,NVMac"
                            }, 
                            "@0,device_type", 
                            Buffer (0x08)
                            {
                                "display"
                            }, 
                            "@0,name", 
                            Buffer (0x0F)
                            {
                                "NVDA,Display-A"
                            }, 
                            "@1,compatible", 
                            Buffer (0x0B)
                            {
                                "NVDA,NVMac"
                            }, 
                            "@1,device_type", 
                            Buffer (0x08)
                            {
                                "display"
                            }, 
                            "@1,name", 
                            Buffer (0x0F)
                            {
                                "NVDA,Display-B"
                            }, 
                            "NVCAP", 
                            Buffer (0x14)
                            {
                                /* 0000 */  0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x03, 0x00,
                                /* 0008 */  0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,
                                /* 0010 */  0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                            }, 
                            "NVPM", 
                            Buffer (0x1C)
                            {
                                /* 0000 */  0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                /* 0008 */  0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                /* 0010 */  0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
                                /* 0018 */  0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                            }, 
                            "VRAM,totalsize", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x40                         
                            }, 
                            "device_type", 
                            Buffer (0x0C)
                            {
                                "NVDA,Parent"
                            }, 
                            "model", 
                            Buffer (0x1A)
                            {
                                "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti"
                            }, 
                            "rom-revision", 
                            Buffer (0x28)
                            {
                                "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti OpenGL Engine"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

I'd actually be a little surprised if you really needed to inject such properties for your Fermi card (by far and large, it's usually something required on laptops rather than desktops), but if you did, I'd try without the NVCAP and NVPM properties. An invalid NVCAP could indeed result in black display if not relevant to the selected/used output ports. So, start without any nVidia properties injection to begin with.

All in all, I expect you'll have to replace your Fermi card by a fully supported graphics card, whether ATI/AMD or nVidia. As far as nVidia GeForce cards go, High Sierra supports:

1) natively:

• Tesla cards (8000/9000 Series, 100/200/300 Series)
  •  Fermi cards (Fermi and Fermi 2.0 400/500/600 Series): :excl: very buggy support with various major defects affecting screen resolution, mouse pointer, picture quality, wake from sleep, screen saver, etc. :excl:
  • Kepler cards (Kepler and Kepler 2.0 600/700 Series) -> I can recommend cheap Kepler GK208-based GT710/GT720/GT730 which remain fully supported in Big Sur to date (stay off GK106, buggy support)

2) with Web Driver:

• Maxwell cards (700/900 Series)
  • Pascal cards (10 Series)

This guide should help you on the matter (issues with Fermi cards mentioned in Legacy GPUs section).

Many thanks for the opinions. I will fix the config.plist and DSDT first.Maybe install a El capitan to do some tests.

@Hervé

i don't know how to remove Generate C States/Generate P States in the clover. 

would you help me to fix it?

thank you again,

lin

1. Open up your config in Clover Configurator app
  2. Disable (uncheck) the 2 x settings in the ACPI section
  3. Enable (check) PluginType instead
  4. Save your config
  5. Reboot

Hello again @Hervé,

Today my GTX550Ti is working in El Capitan.i put GeForce-GF100-Series.kext into clover kexts other,remove whatevergreen.kext

without Web driver install,without DSDT,at your suggestion, also disable the Generate C States/Generate P States in ACPI,the booting are faster now.

but sometimes the screen freezes,maybe i install the El Capitan in a older hard disk for testing,maybe other questions i don't know,or this graphic card poor/very buggy support MacOs as you say

i attached the config and some screen shots here.

please tell me if you have more opinions.

many thanks again,i have tested this card for three weeks,so happy today.

best regards,

lin

GTX550TI WORKING IN EL CPITAN 20210414.png

屏幕快照 2021-04-14 下午2.33.49A.jpg

屏幕快照 2021-04-14 下午2.34.12A.jpg

屏幕快照 2021-04-14 下午2.35.28A.jpg

config.plist

No reason why you would add this GeForce-GF100-Series kext to your El Capitan installation. What is it and where does it come from? As previously stated, Fermi cards are natively supported in El Capitan. I suggest you get rid of this kext and rebuild your cache. Your desktop screenshot shows that you appear to have graphics acceleration in place but you can always double check by clicking in and out of LaunchPad repeatedly (should be all smooth), checking supported features in DVD Player app, etc.

Your setup also shows some unnecessary and counterproductive kexts like NullCPUPowerManagement (kills all CPU SpeedStep, you don't want that) or SATA-100-series-unsupported (totally irrelevant to your Haswell or Broadwell platform). Also note that FakePCIID and PlugIns (especially for Intel graphics) have been mostly deprecated for several years now. Can't see why you'd need that especially when you set your iGPU framebuffer id to 0x12345678 (which basically disables all possible graphics acceleration on the iGPU). All you would need is Lilu + WEG. You absolutely need to clean-up your installation before further troubleshooting and eventual fine-tuning.

i removed NullCPUPowerManagement  SATA-100-series-unsupported FakePCIID kexts

Today i removed the GeForce-GF100-Series kext and drop the whatevergreen kext .but screen black again

GeForce-GF100-Series kext is downloaded from :

@Hervé

regards,

lin

1 hour ago, ilovefifa said:

i removed NullCPUPowerManagement  SATA-100-series-unsupported FakePCIID kexts

Today i removed the GeForce-GF100-Series kext and drop the whatevergreen kext .but screen black again

GeForce-GF100-Series kext is downloaded from :

@Hervé

regards,

lin

Did you apply CoreDisplay from those thread?

Is this El Capitan installation full vanilla? If it is, it should contain all the necessary nVidia drivers for Fermi cards, including GeForce & NVDAGF100Hal kexts.

With regards to the kext and framework retrieved from that "Fermi in Mojave" thread:

• GeForce_GF100_Series kext is a simple injector used to load GeForce accelerator kext for Fermi (GF100) cards in Mojave, the vanilla accelerator only supporting Kepler (GK100) cards. Injector appears built on Mojave 10.14.1's GeForce kext v12.0.19 (injector's plist shows Mald0n as author but appears dated 2013 so presumably built from some previous work):
    • GeForce_injector.jpg
  • CoreDisplay framework replacement applied to macOS version that had dropped support for non-Metal cards (eg: unsupported nVidia Tesla and/or intel HD3000 graphics in Mojave/Catalina).

None of this should apply to El Capitan (or Sierra, or High Sierra), the last OS X version that fully and natively supported Fermi cards properly.

Copy and details of Mojave 10.14.1's vanilla GeForce kext in spoiler below:

I try N times ,kext only ,good working with El Capitan,but sometimes freeze.kext only, working with Mojave,without graphics acceleration.

kext and CoreDisplay or CoreDisplay only, black screen all

@Slice

regards,

lin

You're wasting your time with that Fermi card; just replace it by a fully supported model (nVidia Kepler or AMD).

yes,@Hervé

hackintosh is really an torment.

i have bought a couple graphic cards from the second-hand app.including a asus HD6770(finished testing on El Capitan and High sierra,not finish on Mojave) ,a gigabyte G100(very old card,good working on every MacOS system with VGA output, a Dell AMD HD7570 good working too,after edited the Vbios id.

Ofcourse i have two nVidia Kepler two cards.EVGA GTX670 bought from Ebay many years ago,perfect MacOS card.but it's abnormal recently,have repaired two times with BGA burning. a asus GT640 very good working .

Now, i try to let this gtx550ti work on High Sierra or Mojave, i thing is very interesting and exciting if successd,though it had wasted my many times and energy.GTX550TI.thumb.jpg.20d75d3b205af92c895e34449bb83cc6.jpg

also many thanks for your help again.

lin