How To Make NTFS External Hard Drive Writable In Big Sur

5 posts in this topic

Since I'm using macOS Big Sur, there's one draw back is ntfs-3g doesn't seem to work like in Catalina which I can't use OSXFUSE to write NTFS folders. But I found different ways to access the NTFS using fstab file designed by Apple. 

Cheers,

Louis

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
On 2/15/2021 at 8:22 PM, ltooz_audis said:

Since I'm using macOS Big Sur, there's one draw back is ntfs-3g doesn't seem to work like in Catalina which I can't use OSXFUSE to write NTFS folders. But I found different ways to access the NTFS using fstab file designed by Apple. 

Cheers,

Louis

NTFS volumes will normally mount read-only but read-write can be enabled if the installed /sbin/mount_ntfs supports read/write:

From terminal make a mount point of your choice for each ntfs volume.  Example: sudo mkdir ~/ntfs
Unmount the target read-only ntfs volume where x is disk number and y is slice: sudo umount /dev/diskxsy
Mount ntfs volume as read-write: sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,auto,nobrowse /dev/diskxsy ~/ntfs
Link to desktop: sudo ln -s ~/ntfs ~/Desktop/whatever_name_you_choose
Make sure finder is configured to show mounted volumes on the desktop.

Automount with brew on Big Sur:

Keep in mind that if you use ntfs-3g with macFUSE to automount ntfs volumes, install version 4.1.0 or later of macFUSE.  You may have to copy the ntfs-3g mount_ntfs binary directly to /sbin using recovery console.  Note that brew's ntfs-3g 2017.3.23_3 has previously failed to mount NTFS volumes with all files and folders visible.  You can use a prior Catalina Version, although it may be necessary to copy mount_ntfs directory to sbin.

https://osxfuse.github.io/

Any changes made to system files in recovery console should be followed by creating a new shapshot from recovery mode:

bless --folder /Volumes/x/System/Library/CoreServices --bootefi --create-snapshot (where X is your Big Sur volume name shown with mount command.

Edited by HenryV
correction
  • 3 weeks later...

@Itooz_audis Suggest you use an Exfat formatted partition to exchange date with Windows, everything else is just unacceptable in my environment. Would you dilute a decent glass of wine with ordinary contaminated tap water ? I certainly would not.

Greetings Henties  

Thanks for all the tips. I'm quite content with the MacOS fstab, I put all the NTFS USB external drives in the file and they work perfectly.

Cheers,

Louis