P4 530 + i915G works PERFECT!

Iceman

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This morning i tried tiger-x86.iso and Marklar-Tiger.iso (patched by generic patcher release1)

I have:

P4 530 3ghz socket 775

Biostar i915G-m7

256mb ddr pc3200 (tomorrow i will buy other 512mb...)

hd 20gb

dvd-rw pioneer (superdrive)

I tried this morning with tiger-x86.iso and i was happy cause it worked perfect.

This evening i installed Marklar dvd and it was better!! I choose SSE3 (and not enabled SSE2 on installation)

I don't know why, but using this dvd worked better... the plus was:

- Apple keyboard + apple mouse usb worked

- Stop and resume works perfect

- Activity monitor "see" 2 cpu

Anyway, this motherboard is perfect!

Intel GMA900 tiger core image supported

Audio (ALC655) supported

Network (realtek) supported

Ide and serial ata worked

Now, i have some questions:

Is normal that PPC application take about 30 seconds to start? Or if i upgrade my ram i will get better performance? (universal binarys is fast as lightspeed!)

Or do i have to patch any file to get better performance from rosetta? I suppose this cause safari open in 2-3 seconds and itunes take about 30 seconds... (upgraded to 6.0 nothing changes...)

And if i try the SSE3->SSE2 patch? (i know i have sse3... but i can't believe PPC application can be so slow...)

minimum of 1GB of main memory, and preferably 2GB or more.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050810-5195.html

What does all of this mean for Mac users? First off, it means that anyone who plans to use Rosetta heavily will need plenty of memory. A while back, Transitive CEO Bob Wiederhold told the SJ Mercury News that translated apps will eat up about 25% more memory than their non-translated counterparts. I suspect that this number is an average, and not the result of a fixed code cache size that's allocated on a per-application basis. (Not that there's not a ceiling on the size of the translated code cache—there probably is—but I suspect that the code cache is kept as small as possible.) So make plans to order that new Intel-based Mac with a minimum of 1GB of main memory, and preferably 2GB or more.